Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me!
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [IMV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The are both hilly. Neither is easy.
Vertical gain for IM Moo is around 1700m, for IM Musk will be around 2000m
Muskoka 'feels' choppier with the hills being short & steep.
Wisconsin is more accessible, closer to amenities & large scale lodging
Muskoka is prettier and serene.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [Doubletime] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks... I'm doing Wisconsin next week and did Muskoka 70.3 last year. I thought Muskoka was the thoughest bike course ever (did Syracuse, LP and MT too). Hope Wisconsin will feel easier!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [IMV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I cannot comment on Muskoka, but you have history there. Wisconsin doesn't have one particular section or hill that needs to be discussed, IMO it's the cumulative effect of the entire bike course.

As in most IM's people go out way too hard, get caught up racing others around them and forget to execute their own plan. Moo requires patience and a plan. Have your gearing dialed in. After first IM there I went with a 52/36 up front, and I think an 11-26 on back. Went super easy up the hills (us power to keep in check). Keep on the pedals over the top staying in a good power zone and use the downhills.

It never seems flat. First test is going into Mt. Horeb and then you'll get lots of rollers all over. Some actual climbs close together on the backside of course, but they are relatively short.

Key is to pace easy on lap 1 and remember the 16mile ride out and back isn't flat and easy either. It's still a 112mile course so stay on top of nutrition all day. When in doubt, go easy. Personally never set a PR biking this course but managed to figure out how to come in relatively competitive in age and still had enough for run.

I love the bike course, but it does require respect and the discipline to stick to your plan. Ignore those around you, execute your plan! Have fun. It's a great IM venue.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [lidsterl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will WI sellout in hours or days?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still be hours. Its' incredibly popular within the region, and a lot of those folks probably don't want to travel to Louisville, Chantanooga or Maryland, and I think the sport is only growing in the Northern Midwest. Lousiville might draw a few off, so it will be slwoer ot fill than last year, but I think it still fills before midnight.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lidsterl wrote:

I love the bike course, but it does require respect and the discipline to stick to your plan. Ignore those around you, execute your plan! Have fun. It's a great IM venue.

^^^This. ideally you have a power meter and a good power plan. If you do, it's just a matter to being in the right gear and ignoring your sensations of speed. One challenge I could see if that time might pass by quickly at times and you could easily fall behind on your nutrition plan. But I've only ridden it and not raced it...yet. We'll see what the weather throws at us. Right now looking like a chance of even stronger wind than last year with gusts approaching 30mph... but on the position westerly wind, so its stronger on the return of the stick.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I haven't done IMMO, but Muskoka has a few hills on the bike (and run) course. Here's my garmin file from the bike. The only real section of the course that isn't constantly up and down is from around mile 32-40. Pacing is key on that sort of course.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a very good description of how to approach the bike ride. The cumulative effect of the course is critical to keep in mind. You will know by your second time up the hill into Mt. Horeb if you've done it right...and you'll still have 40+ miles to go.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [Mark M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the comments on IMWI are all dead on. Pacing is key. Road the entire course a few weeks back and it is very different from the rolling hill I am used to. Speed should not be the guiding factor of how you think you are doing. You must gauge it by your effort as thus course will likely be slower.

The three "major" hills are all on the back side of the course. Two are about a mile from eachother, then the next is about 4 miles later.

Love that course and I will be back to compete on it one day.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
can you comment on the total elevation gain for the bike course?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd have to pull up my Garmin profile, but it definitely seems in line with what others are saying. Constantly up and down and not major climbs. Longest one is probably 2-3 mins
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [zachboring] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
would be helpful when you get a chance, no rush, thank you. just looking for total elevation gain.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
winchester wrote:
can you comment on the total elevation gain for the bike course?

My Garmin data from 2012 says 5606.
Last edited by: Chris Martin: Aug 29, 14 18:33
Quote Reply
Re: IM Wisconsin bike course vs. Muskoka... tell me! [Chris Martin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. Helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did WI in 2013 and have signed up for Muskoka next year. From what I seem to hear it looks like both courses are similar in style, maybe Muskoka a touch harder? I had a great race in Wisconsin so pretty confident going into Muskoka next year.

Wisconsin bike course is awesome, but as others have said, requires a ton of discipline. There's no such thing as consistent speed for more than 2-3 minutes, it is always changing and up, down, left turn, right turn, ... very inconsistent course. If you are smart, can stick to the plan and ignore everyone around you you can have a great race. If you don't respect the course the second lap as well as your run are gonna suck. Discipline is the key word here.

Quote | Reply
I've done Louisville and preparing for Chattanooga. I'm Considering WI for 2015 but many of the bike course descriptions and warnings are concerning.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Winchester, don't be scared off by what we're saying! It's not an impossible course by any means, just one that needs respect. The overall IM in Wisconsin is a great experience. For a rural bike course, quite scenic with lots of unique areas. I remember starting lap 2 my first time there and realized I hadn't listened about pacing. Overall bike experience make a big difference as well. You'll love the race there if you choose to do it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks fur the encouragement. Trying to choose between WI or maybe a flat race, such as Maryland. Any thoughts?
Quote Reply