Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sunscreen for Kona
Quote | Reply
Hi
Coming from Oz to race Kona and was wondering if any STers could recommend a good sunscreen?
Jonboy
Quote Reply
Post deleted by shady [ In reply to ]
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [Jonboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The abc shops in Hawaii sell a banana boat 100+ this is alcohol based so your skin can breathe. I blew up in 2011 and was out there all day.

I did not get 1 bit of sunburn and coming out of an NZ winter I was white as a lily.

I would not go past this.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jonboy wrote:
Hi
Coming from Oz to race Kona and was wondering if any STers could recommend a good sunscreen?
Jonboy

No no....you got it all wrong. You want a sunburn going back to Oz from Kona for the bragging rights. But if not, do what PJC said...plenty of items on offer at the ABC stores. One more thing i'd recommend that should actually be easier for someone coming Oz rather than Europe or North America.

What you will see in kona is most of the people training really early morning. That's not really that helpful because the sun is not really strong. But because of jetlag everyone is up super early and itching to get training done.

Coming from Oz, you're actually "later" than the North America/Europe guys so "sleeping in" and training mid day is easier. So do it...get exposed to mid day sun early in the week. you will have the added benefit of being 'turned on' in the afternoon when you really need to perform in Kona. The Europe guys are ready to fall asleep by then and the North America guys are winding down their day, and if anything ready for an afternoon nap in the middle of the run course. Most guys don't know how critical this is, because they don't have to perform across time zones in day to day life. i know from travel to Asia and Europe that my mile splits can be 20 seconds off per mile if I am training when my body wants to be asleep 'back home'.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have used Planet Sun the last couple of years without any incidence of burning. Good stuff!

Quote | Reply
I live in WI used Scape in 2011 and didn't get burned.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
darkhorsetri wrote:
I have used Planet Sun the last couple of years without any incidence of burning. Good stuff!

Another vote for Planet Sun. I buy direct on-line.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Planet sun, no question. that stuff is still on my skin after 5+ hours at the half or 9+ hours on long bike rides. Incredible is the word that always comes to mind when I see that at the end of a workout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of folks use SolRx, sold at some of the local bike shops. I have used Blue Lizard and find it fine as long as I keep it off my face (seems to run). None are nearly as good as Scape was though.

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Planet Sun.

I live in Hawaii and due to endurance sports and surfing/bodysurfing/paddling events I'm often out in the sun from sunrise to sunset. I've never gotten burned using Planet Sun.

The stuff is simply incredible. They usually sell it at the Cycle Station near Lava Java during race week, and you can also order it on-line.

http://www.planetsunhawaii.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2. Planet Sun is better than anything I've used in past years. Coppertone, Hawaiian Tropic, Banana Boat Sport , Bull Frog, NO-AD, you name it. The ONE time I didn't get burnt was when I used Planet Sun. Well, my hands did because I forgot to put SPF on them. But you'll find no finer SUN PROOFING FOR HAWAII IRONMAN than Planet Sun.
Last edited by: Rocky M: Aug 12, 14 9:55
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess i'm the only one it didn't work for. i even had my old folks mule it down here (as we don't get post). i find it works for shorter rides but not for 13 hours. i was really disappointed as i wanted to support them. i have a good base tan (living in the tropics) so i was pretty surprised.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Planet Sun. They also have a "face stick" that is wax based which helps prevent sweat/sunscreen from getting in your eyes and stinging like a biyatch.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm fair skinned and been in Kona for 3 months. Not sunburnt once using banana boat. Make sure u get the spray if u don't have someone to apply. I managed to miss a small bit on my back one day and got second degree burns on a long bike ride
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm with you Kathy.

When I was up in penticton last summer for the race, the local bike shop sponsor had a ton of Scape they put out. I bought up a lot of it and hauled it back to Kona.

Maybe I should set up a both during Ironman Week ;)

---------------------------------------------------------
The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits. -- A fake Albert Einstein "quote"
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [KonaCoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is Scape back in business? That stuff was terrific, too.

Some of the key to whether your sunscreen works well is when you apply. My trick is to apply Planet Sun the night before the race and again the morning of. Probably also smart to apply again in T1. I haven't gotten any bad burns using this protocol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't forget your lips Planet Sun makes a whole line to keep you going long going strong

https://www.planetsunhawaii.com/Skin_Care_s/5.htm

Aloha

Roberto
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Seeing as you're from Oz, and I'm racing IMWA in December, can I ask you what sunscreen you would recommend? It's sponsored by sun smart, so is that any good?
Thanks,
Will
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for planet sun. My protocol is apply right after I get up in morning. Then a second layer 30-45 min before start.
Last edited by: Dnowak: Aug 12, 14 14:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't like Planet Sun at all. I had 3 tubes shipped from Hawaii last year after strong endorsements from the ST crowd. It burned my eyes worse than any sunscreen I have ever used, and it didn't work particularly well as a sunscreen. I don't usually have strong opinions either way on sunscreen, but I do in this case. Maybe I received a bad batch, but I was surprised at how bad it was, as ST advice has rarely steered me wrong. Anyway, I feel compelled to chime in with a differing opinion.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Konaflyer [ In reply to ]
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [jenschaf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not as far as I know.

I bought a bunch in Penticton last year as well, I think it was just the leftovers. I usually use SolRx dry zinc on my face and Scape elsewhere. Or Solrx. I keep a spray bottle of sunscreen in my truck in the event I forget before a ride. Doing without sunscreen around here isn't a terribly smart idea.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [G$] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G$ ALOHA. We are grateful for any feedback on our Products - good or bad. With respect to the sunscreen running in your eyes.... we make a "face specific"sunscreen specifically for this reason. One thing you and anyone else can count on, is that pretty much any (body) in a tube or bottle (lotions, liquids and cream based) products is going to run into your eyes once you get in the water or start to sweat. Most face specific sunscreens that are effective for performance application are wax based - so they stay put and wont migrate into the eyes.
Our face specific sunscreen is bees wax and shea butter based. https://www.planetsunhawaii.com/.../psfaceformstick.htm
Whether its our or another brand, look for a Face "stick" in a tube. If you are without a face specific sunscreen, use the body stuff, but just put it below the eyes and wear a hat- shoot, wear a hat anyways :-) Thanks for your feedback and stay safe out there.. ALOHA
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you just use the SPF30ish stuff they sell? I know SPF30 is already theoretically 95% UV block, so anything higher is only a small percentage but I was surprised to see it wasn't like SPF 120 or something crazy sounding like that if it's supposed to work for 10+hrs.
Quote Reply
Re: Sunscreen for Kona [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, planet sun just has the one big bottle that has one spf (30+). SPF and durability (i.e. ability to hold up in swim & sweat) have no relation. Also, there is no evidence that anything above an SPF of 50 is beneficial which is why the FDA limited how sun screen can be labeled in the US.

The beauty of planet sun is it is very durable, not its high SPF. While an SPF 50 technically has more UV protection, if it washes away in the swim or with sweat, it will be useless.

I will add that I do reapply during the beginning of the run for HIM and IM. I put a zip lock bag of sun block and a towel on my race belt. I try to towel myself off a little as I run out of T1 then reapply the sun block during the first mile. I may be quite white with sun block plastered all over me and get some comments from spectators, but I don't burn.
Quote Reply