Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

race ready packages and registration-Wisconsin
Quote | Reply
Hey all, thinking I'd like to do Madison next year and really trying to figure out if I should head up to volunteer to secure a spot, which would be a strain after taking time off for Louisville..so even though I'd love being in that environment a few weeks after racing and on my bday it's an option I'd prefer not to pursue if I don't have to.

I think I remember seeing that if you sign up for these Race Ready Packages that you stand a better chance of securing a spot (ie Ironman obviously has to hold spots for athletes that sign up for the packages). Or at the very least have a better shot at registering online. For piece of mind can anyone confirm? Or any additional details I'm not remembering?

In addition does anyone know when the registration for RR Packages open up? I'd assume the day after the 140.6 portion?

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: race ready packages and registration-Wisconsin [Skipjack] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Registration this year was open for a few hours. No need to make any extra efforts to register, IMO.

If you wanna do both IMMOO and one of the 70.3's leading up to it, the race ready packages make sense. But I don't think you'll need it to secure a spot in Madison.

Chicago Cubs - 2016 WORLD SERIES Champions!!!!

"If ever the time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams
Quote Reply
Re: race ready packages and registration-Wisconsin [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:
Registration this year was open for a few hours. No need to make any extra efforts to register, IMO.

If you wanna do both IMMOO and one of the 70.3's leading up to it, the race ready packages make sense. But I don't think you'll need it to secure a spot in Madison.

x2.

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I took the Race Ready Package to get into this year's race. The process was pretty seamless. You receive a code to use in a specified window of time (I think it was a week) that guarantees your entry.

If you want to do Madison and get in a WTC 70.3 before it, it's a solid way to go with no stress come normal registration day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last years RR package was for Racine 70.3 and IMWI. It was an ok deal if you were doing both of them, as I did/am going to do. If I remember correctly, the RR package was offered like the week leading to the IMWI race. The sign up window may have even been on Thursday or Friday prior to IMWI.
Quote Reply
Re: race ready packages and registration-Wisconsin [Power13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Power13 wrote:

That helps, thanks. Nothing against Racine but if had my choice, locally, I'd prefer to do Toughman Indiana as a half leading up.

Great to know, thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: race ready packages and registration-Wisconsin [Ktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last year the RR package was for either Racine or Steelhead. I believe that it opened with a limited number of spots the Thursday or Friday before Wisconsin. If they don't sell out the RR spots it closes in 24-48 hours.
Quote Reply
Re: race ready packages and registration-Wisconsin [lhotse2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was considering jumping on a race ready package for Boulder this year. When they finally released it on either Friday or Saturday it was for three races and cost over $1,000. As much as I hate standing in lines I just couldn't justify that kind of money. In the end I never would have had to stand in line anyway, Boulder is still open 3 days later. As someone mentioned earlier, with all these new races I doubt it will sell out on site.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did the race ready package for this years IMWI. It took all the stress out of registering and I believe saved me money. I had the option for Racine or Steelhead both great options to get you ready for Madison in September. Good Luck!
Quote Reply
Re: race ready packages and registration-Wisconsin [davee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the RRP last year and picked Steelhead. I liked that race venue overall. However, I bet IMWI doesnt sell out for a few hours this year.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: race ready packages and registration-Wisconsin [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
motoguy128 wrote:
I did the RRP last year and picked Steelhead. I liked that race venue overall. However, I bet IMWI doesnt sell out for a few hours this year.

Thanks Moto. I was actually leaning towards Steelhead as well for the package. Only downside I see is the swim is more likely to get cancelled, but all things considered it looks like a great race and love the area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
anybody know for sure if they are offering this again this year.

If so, for those who have done in the past, is the link on the ironman website or go straight to Active.com and look for it, etc etc?

thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Steelhead swim is NOT likely to be cancelled. In the 12 years of the race we have only cancelled two swims So we have had the swim 83% of the races held. The swim will likely take place again next year.
Quote Reply
Re: race ready packages and registration-Wisconsin [tomziebart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tomziebart wrote:
The Steelhead swim is NOT likely to be cancelled. In the 12 years of the race we have only cancelled two swims So we have had the swim 83% of the races held. The swim will likely take place again next year.

Big difference between "more likely to be cancelled", as I said compared to Racine's swim and "likely to be cancelled" as you clearly read it.

83%..Steelhead..the B- of half distance swims?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Skipjack wrote:
motoguy128 wrote:

Thanks Moto. I was actually leaning towards Steelhead as well for the package. Only downside I see is the swim is more likely to get cancelled, but all things considered it looks like a great race and love the area.

On the flip side there's these advantages:

1) Great swim prep, it's almost guaranteed to be a harder swim than most with some sort of waves. IT will test your sighting and ability to handle waves
2) Will not be warm and murky.
3) Beach start in waves... that way ALL triathlons should be. Way more fun way to start the race. (not sure how Racine starts)...it might also be a beach.

Also Steelhead roads overall are very very good. The longest stretch out and back is nearly perfect condition blacktop shoulder and road. Has some shade on the bike (pretty rare). Just one stretch was a little rough and for chip seal, it wasn't that bad. I think I only dodged 1 water bottle all day despite being one of the last waves.

But I'm from Michigan so maybe I'm biased. I do know that it seems like the Western side of the lake is more likely to "turn over" in July. It did it this year and did it when I stayed in Sheboygan last year in mid July. Maybe just coincidence.

Personally, I think they should just shorten the swim if it's very wavy and start each wave 1 minute further apart. Then just make the swim "optional" like in a wetsuit optional swim. You still get a result, but won't be considered for medals, etc. You still get a time and are an official finisher, but are excluded from awards. This is coming form someone that took a wave to the face and chocked on it for a while and struggled a few times but I still like the challenge. I also went out too fast which made the situation worse.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: race ready packages and registration-Wisconsin [motoguy128] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if they will be offering this package again to register for 2016? I plan to do Racine and Madsion and this seems like the best way to register
Quote Reply