Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Boulder 79th street question for the locals
Quote | Reply
Some friends visiting from CA want to try to get to the 79th street hilly stretch to cheer people on. They are staying in Boulder. Will they be able to get there by car? Or impossible based on traffic and limited traffic... If so, recommendations on getting there?! Thanks...

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 79th street question for the locals [boilerup] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They should be able to go in via Niwot (foothills to niwot rd, south on 79th or MAYBE foothills to 52- it has huge shoulders on both sides). There is a small trail head parking lot and good roads just North of 3bitches (79th). There is a church on the south side but we ride around that.

That should be an epic place to watch. That hill hurts on a good day- short, but solid, punch in the gut. Darkhorse promised to be there with beer.

-

later,
billy
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Naval Academy Triathlon Coach (USNA '00 and USMC)
billythekidtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 79th street question for the locals [Billy the Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billy the Kid wrote:
They should be able to go in via Niwot (foothills to niwot rd, south on 79th or MAYBE foothills to 52- it has huge shoulders on both sides). There is a small trail head parking lot and good roads just North of 3bitches (79th). There is a church on the south side but we ride around that.

That should be an epic place to watch. That hill hurts on a good day- short, but solid, punch in the gut. Darkhorse promised to be there with beer.

-

Yeah, what Billy said. I believe it was MarkyV that promised the beer...I just said I'd be there to get rid of it.

Re: IM Boulder 79th street question for the locals [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i promised margs

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 79th street question for the locals [MarkyV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd like to get in on the Margaritas. What's the buy in? Wife and I could bring some salty snacks :).
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 79th street question for the locals [Billy the Kid] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billy the Kid wrote:

-

Thanks for info! Yes, that hill hurt 2 weekends when I rode course and it was in the 90s.. Thankful for a better forecast come race day!

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 79th street question for the locals [mndiver] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Starting to sound like 79th St. will be THE place to be on the bike course.

Re: IM Boulder 79th street question for the locals [darkhorsetri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
why not?! it's the only real terrain on the entire bike course!

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
5 buck chip in, no limit? I'm going to make a big ass batch and I don't skimp on my ingredients :)

I've been rocking this recipe lately that has everyone that's tried them raving about them.

Fresh squeezed lime juice (the girl (from central cali) has an old fashioned citrus juicer - it ROCKS!)

With or without cointreau (also gran mariner) --> good with and good without, been tinkering

good quality silver tequila

with or without simple syrup (both brown and white sugar experiments lately)

It's been raining all day and I think I might just walk over to the liquor store and get this party started :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MarkyV wrote:
5 buck chip in, no limit? I'm going to make a big ass batch and I don't skimp on my ingredients :)

I've been rocking this recipe lately that has everyone that's tried them raving about them.

Fresh squeezed lime juice (the girl (from central cali) has an old fashioned citrus juicer - it ROCKS!)

With or without cointreau (also gran mariner) --> good with and good without, been tinkering

good quality silver tequila

with or without simple syrup (both brown and white sugar experiments lately)

It's been raining all day and I think I might just walk over to the liquor store and get this party started :)

We are flying in on Friday and I have a little room in my carry on for some tequila I brought back from our list trip to Cozumel if you want some extra supplies. I like the idea of a little get together. I'm planning on racing this in 2015 and haven't been able to convince any of my MN friends to get on board. Would be nice to meet up with some people and get to know some faces.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we'll be roaming the bike course looking for overt drafters. binoculars, go pro and a car our pieces of equipment of justice.

Is the tequila a really nice one? I wouldn't bring it then. You aren't supposed to make margs with the very best stuff (just the good stuff) given that it'll be mixed with so much else. I'll also be making it up before hand at the house.

I can't really blame your contingent of friends for being reluctant. A week ago it was 100 degrees here. Hell, lots of locals not wanting to race it because of the course and weather. We are having monsoon season right now so that seems like it will blunt the heat a bit but as a local I am not a fan of this course and neither are the vast majority of locals. The only one that likes it is the RD who designed it. More at the hill!!!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I don't completely disagree that 79th will make some impressions, I believe that another spot will wake some people up.

The hill on WCR 13 between WCR 42 and 44 will probably wake some people up. It has a pretty decent lead up to it but at mile 58ish it could burn some matches early.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Boulder 79th street question for the locals [grindmonkey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given where 79th lies on the course in mileage of the race, and its relative proximity to Boulder, it will certainly be the best place to be spectating, IMO. I'll be disappointed if there isn't a huge crowd!

Quote | Reply
It better be a party. I will be thinking about you and MarkyV sipping beverages while voyaging Kansas.

I will be pisssed (not in the British way) if you and many others are not there and pisssed (in the British way).

-

later,
billy
Endurance Athlete and Coach
Naval Academy Triathlon Coach (USNA '00 and USMC)
billythekidtriathlete.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another option is park on/near Lookout rd ( diagonal, right on 63rd, left on Lookout) and walk to 79th. There are some church parking lots as well as some empty commercial spaces that you might be able to park. Lots of neighborhoods too.
Quote Reply