Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: WTC Prize purse thing... [WX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3. There are too many pros. Without the actual numbers, I'm just guessing here (please correct me), but there are ~50,000 people who do an ironman every year. And there are maybe 200 LC pros? So approximately 0.4% of athletes are "pros". Compare this to baseball, which around 11.5 million Americans play each year. Assuming that those on the 40-man roster for each MLB club can count themselves as making a living from the sport, that's only 1,300 pros, or 0.01%, a full 40x lower percentage. At the same ratio, the top 5 pros in the world can probably make a pretty decent living. We all like this sport. We all wish we can turn a hobby into a job. But maybe too many people try to do so. //

Not sure of the point you are trying to make, but you really need to go back and look at the numbers you used. Why only ironman participants? Since you used everyone who plays baseball in your equation, it only seems fair you use everyone that does triathlon. I don't know the exact number, but at least 10X to 20X what you posted. SO if you do an apples to apples comparison, it would seem that it is just a few times lower, not 40X. Now what that has to do with anything, that can be debated, but your math is way off….And then add in all the AAA "professional players" in baseball, and then it might even look even, or swing triathlon ahead in your comparison. Now what does that tell you?
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Prize purse thing... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Not sure of the point you are trying to make, but you really need to go back and look at the numbers you used. Why only ironman participants? Since you used everyone who plays baseball in your equation, it only seems fair you use everyone that does triathlon. I don't know the exact number, but at least 10X to 20X what you posted. SO if you do an apples to apples comparison, it would seem that it is just a few times lower, not 40X. Now what that has to do with anything, that can be debated, but your math is way off….And then add in all the AAA "professional players" in baseball, and then it might even look even, or swing triathlon ahead in your comparison. Now what does that tell you?

My point is that there are too many pros in relation to participants for everyone to earn a lucrative income (defined how you will) just on prize money. To refine my numbers (which were meant to be illustrative), in 2013 there were 490K total triathletes (http://www.usatriathlon.org/...rt/demographics.aspx). Currently there are 618 men with KPR points (a conservative list of male pros), which yields 0.13% pros to participants. Still an order of magnitude higher. The 40-man roster includes many AAA players, but feel free to tweak that how you will.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Prize purse thing... [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
3. There are too many pros. Without the actual numbers, I'm just guessing here (please correct me), but there are ~50,000 people who do an ironman every year. And there are maybe 200 LC pros? So approximately 0.4% of athletes are "pros". Compare this to baseball, which around 11.5 million Americans play each year. Assuming that those on the 40-man roster for each MLB club can count themselves as making a living from the sport, that's only 1,300 pros, or 0.01%, a full 40x lower percentage. At the same ratio, the top 5 pros in the world can probably make a pretty decent living. We all like this sport. We all wish we can turn a hobby into a job. But maybe too many people try to do so. //

Those AAA guys aren't really making a living at baseball, are they? They're hoping to.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To add to your solutions, any time that the pros spend with AG'ers is value and potential dollars that could be earned. Outside of the actual race, I have never once interacted with a pro. If they made themselves more accessible and visible before and after the race, there's a lot of opportunity there.

Ideas:
- Race course previews. Do a group swim/ride/run lead by a pro or group of pros.
- Transition inspection. Spend 2-3minutes with newer age groupers going over their transition layouts and plans.
- Race cooldown. Drink a beer or go for a short group ride with a pro.
- Local workouts lead by pros. Obviously some workouts are impossible, but an example would be a trainer/track brick workout. On our triathlon team, our coach leads "super brick" workouts where we do intervals on the trainer and then quickly transition to intervals on the track. GREAT opportunity to do a "pro" workout. Works well with swimming/biking too.

Pre-race stuff could be paid hourly by the race. I imagine WTC might see the value added in "employing" pros a few hours a day before a race. People lay low the day before, but two or three days out I'm sure there are lots of opportunities. The workouts would have to be local and probably paid directly.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Prize purse thing... [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Those AAA guys aren't really making a living at baseball, are they? They're hoping to.
--- //

They make as much or more than most pro triathletes, so shouldn't they count too?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you might have taken the 490,000 number which is USA triathlon's numbers and then plugged in the 618 KPR guys which is every guy that has scored a point from around the world.

JT Multisport | Facebook | Instagram | World Sport Coach
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Prize purse thing... [ozjt23] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, his numbers are all over the place. If you want to use numbers and stats to bolster an argument you have, better flesh them out first. We don't let too much get by us here on ST, one of the things i love about you all..(-;
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Prize purse thing... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Lionel Messi is not easily replaced. Neither is Sharapova. Are pros replaceable at IMLP ? Yes. Are they replaceable at Kona or the Tour de France...well, not in year, but in two. To some degree, last year the fans cared about Pete Jacobs and Wiggins. This year, they care about Froome or Van Lierde and have forgotten about Jacobs and Wiggins. Followers of sport quickly move on. Like in business a pro is only as good as his last few races or in the case of business, the last few quarters. Pros in all aspects of society are constantly having to earn their value in their position. Not sure why pro triathletes deserve any different treatment.

Seriously great comment

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Prize purse thing... [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So IMLP prize purse is weak. I was wondering what is the craze about challenge if they have no KONA style championship; then I look at atlantic city and see the prize purse:

http://challengeatlanticcity.com/pro-purse/

So if mark wilson from hits were to talk up a corporate sponsor for a prize purse in HITS, will everyone start giving more appreciation for the HITS race series? If anything it is just well organized and supported as WTC and challenge, it just doesnt have a pro prize purse. Its funny cause many on here are saying its not the pros who make the race series...
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Prize purse thing... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup

as it has been put elsewhere, professional race at the front gives you impressions in the media.... this cascading factor then leads to $$ proliferation for a race organizer. there's a reason no one has a clue what HITS is.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Re: WTC Prize purse thing... [synthetic] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
will everyone start giving more appreciation for the HITS race series? If anything it is just well organized and supported as WTC and challenge, it just doesnt have a pro prize purse.//

You really think this is the only difference between Hits and WTC/Challenge? Just as well organized and supported?
Quote Reply

Prev Next