Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

4 weeks out from Sprint A Race. What are the best options for biking?
Quote | Reply
I have my final sprint A race of this year on the 8th September and I am trying to make it as good as possible. Early testing of the bike course puts me about 3 minutes up from last year and if possible, I would like to take another minute of that to bring it in under 30 minutes. Maybe a big ask, but interesting to see what is possible.

I am on holiday from 29th July until 8th August and during this time, I will only be swimming and running, albeit, every day. The resort does have a gym and I may try to get a few VO2 type bike sessions in, but unlikely.

When I return, I am planning on undertaking an intensive 3 week Peak, with a 1 week or less taper.

I have been getting in some good consistent training over the last few months and have been PBing all races. They have not been perfect by any means, but I am doing well. I am currently getting in around 700tss combined each week and currently have a CTL of 95 and feel pretty good, if a little tired.

My current weekly training looks a little like this;

Monday Commute - 17 mile each way. 70tss going in, 85+ coming home. I tend to have 2 main intervals on the way home which I will pretty much go as fast as I can. Average is around 105% for about 10 minutes each, but I do try to stay as high as possible , so my go over this. It really depends on the day as I also run (easy) at lunch.

Tuesday. Run (easy) AM. Swim PM (1 mile) with a lap of the bike course at max effort. (12 miles)

Wednesday. Repeat of Monday.

Thursday. Longer run + group swim

Friday. Repeat of Monday.

Saturday. Swim AM. Tempo run PM

Sunday. Swim + longer bike (30 miles or sometimes 60-75 mile sportives)

Given the above, do you think it might be worthwhile switching things up for the last 3 weeks. Perhaps no commute and do VO2 instead? Something else?

I do have a 60 miles sportive on the 17th August, but seem to recover well from these.

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 weeks out from Sprint A Race. What are the best options for biking? [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a sprint race and swim workouts are 1 mile? Seems much.

---------------------------------------------
I taught Chuck Norris everything he knows

Quote Reply
Re: 4 weeks out from Sprint A Race. What are the best options for biking? [CoreyLMay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CoreyLMay wrote:
It's a sprint race and swim workouts are 1 mile? Seems much.

Basically 2 laps of the course, with a little swim to get to the start and then back to the beach. I have always done it this way. The way I see it is that if I can swim 2 laps at 95%+, then the 1 lap at race pace should be 'better'

Plus, I if I can get out of the water and take minutes of my current race record after doing 2 laps, then race day should be great!

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 weeks out from Sprint A Race. What are the best options for biking? [CoreyLMay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Serious? Swimmers preparing for a 800 are doing 4-12k per session 1-2 times per day. Doing 1600 meters per session is barely a warmup.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: 4 weeks out from Sprint A Race. What are the best options for biking? [chrisbint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not terrible logic from a swim perspective, assuming you other two sessions have an element of intervals and structure?

Looks like you already have the key thing, as far as Im concerned nailed, consistent training.

I'd be inclined to perhaps change up one (Or even two) of the commutes, lower intensity, longer interval, hitting 90-100% for 15-20 minutes - essentially your typical 2 x 20. Obvious, perhaps, but probably more race specific than the shorter 105-110%+ intervals. (For me anyway!)

How is the long ride structured? 30 easy miles? Or working hard? If this is 30 easy miles every week, crank it up a notch to a minimum of 75-80% FTP, no need to ride any easier.
Quote Reply
Re: 4 weeks out from Sprint A Race. What are the best options for biking? [trihard1980] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
trihard1980 wrote:
Not terrible logic from a swim perspective, assuming you other two sessions have an element of intervals and structure?

Looks like you already have the key thing, as far as Im concerned nailed, consistent training.

I'd be inclined to perhaps change up one (Or even two) of the commutes, lower intensity, longer interval, hitting 90-100% for 15-20 minutes - essentially your typical 2 x 20. Obvious, perhaps, but probably more race specific than the shorter 105-110%+ intervals. (For me anyway!)

How is the long ride structured? 30 easy miles? Or working hard? If this is 30 easy miles every week, crank it up a notch to a minimum of 75-80% FTP, no need to ride any easier.

Yes, other swims are intervals. Tuesdays are the only OW swim I do.

Agreed, more race specific intervals might be an option and is certainly doable on at least 1 of those commutes via an alternative route home. There is a good stretch of road a few miles from the office that should give me 20 minutes before having to head more towards home whereby hopefully another session would be possible on similar roads. Could actually end up as a good session as the overall mileage would be up as well.

Longer rides are normally working fairly hard. Last ride was 75% AP, 83% NP for 55 miles. Last sportive was 85%AP, 97% NP over about 75 miles (2 ferries + another break)

Thanks for the advice, will see what I can plan for the last commute before Holiday on Monday.

Cheers

Quote Reply