Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

would you ride on these?
Quote | Reply
got some open mould 25mm wide 60mm clinchers for my road bike and the rear rim was damanged. carbon-cycle is sending me a new rim for me to relace into the hub i have, but they said this should be fine to ride on until than

[URL=http://s899.photobucket.com/...53C64F3B00D.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s899.photobucket.com/...01ECABF09A6.jpg.html][/url]

[URL=http://s899.photobucket.com/...8A5AE3B1FFF.jpg.html][/url]
Quote Reply
Re: would you ride on these? [Viper966] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes. But that's just me.

-----------------------------------
Swim with swimmers, bike with cyclists, run with runners. Train with those who are hard to keep up with. Soon you will be hard to keep up with.
Quote Reply
Re: would you ride on these? [Tri297] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri297 wrote:
Yes. But that's just me.

Same here. That wouldn't bother me any.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

If you decide to ride them I suggest a lower tire pressure as the rims are carbon clincher. The damage appears minimal and on the outside of the rim so I guess the integrity should be ok. But, as I said, I suggest lower tire pressure to minimize blowout potential. The damage appears more substantial in the first two images and less so in the third. If you have doubts, which it sounds like you do, then don't ride them.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the only thing I would be careful of and mitigate, is that small nick sticking out that could mess up your brake pad on that side. You may want to try and ever so slightly sand it smooth(er) either w/ fine grit sandpaper or a rasp file. You wouldn't be "sawing" into the rim to affect its structural integrity, but rather smooth off/out the nick.

Quote | Reply
A couple of light 'wipes' with some sandpaper (say 600 or 800 grit) would soften the rough edges and deburr it. Don't sand it per se, just a few wipes to get the rough bits off and that's it.

That said, keep an eye on it on a regular basis, as carbon is notorious for not liking point loads and that's what that looks like.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Further to my other comment, when you're done, maybe put a dab of matt finish polyurethane or simila, just to seal the raw ends of the carbon that's been damaged. In microscopic form, some of the carbon fibres will have pulled away from the epoxy, leaving hairline cracks near the surface. Water and life will get in there, slowly making it worse over time. A single dab of polyurethane will seal those minute cracks, improving longevity. As soon as you've put it on, wipe of any excess with a clean lint free cloth.
Keep checking it regularly, for any changes of course.

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Re: would you ride on these? [tridork] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed and good points.