Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [HuffNPuff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
HuffNPuff wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
Would be too far for me to consider. And yep, just to fly to the east coast is like what 6 hours, then over the water. In NA, interested, in Europe, done that too expensive. .

Expensive yes, but it doesn't take 6 hours to go coast to coast on a direct flight. Plus, planes fly over the great circle not across the Atlantic as most map projections would have people assume. Assuming a direct flight to Munich (easy train ride to race in Austria), the distances from these four corners of the US are:

Los Angeles - 5989 miles
Seattle - 5283 miles
Tampa - 4996 miles
New York - 4038 miles

LAX to JFK is 2475 miles so it would actually take longer to fly to the east coast then to Munich (2475+4038 = 6513) then it would be to go to Seattle and northward (954 + 5283 = 6236). Regardless, if you live in the SouthWest of the U.S. you have the longest way to go.

Great data. But as you said, still a LONG way to go, and is going to be real expensive. So for folks that can afford it great!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the Lake Stevens 70.3 athlete guide and the Austria 70.3 WC will cost 315 Euros = ~$422 at today's exchange rate. That should push the roll down even farther!
Quote Reply
Re: Vineman 70.3 Rolldown [void main()] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
void main() wrote:
I suspect that's the reason why the top 5 declined spots because it's in Canada, but probably more so because it's Eastern Canada vice Western which would have been easier/cheaper to go to from California. This is assuming most or all the guys were based in/around California.

But yes, essentially two dudes stood up and got a spot. However one guy was a Team Every Man Jack guy, so I suspect he's pretty quick only because I always see the EMJ guys crushing it out there. But I would say with that time you would have got a spot.
That's the commonly accepted wisdom. But they aren't thinking that through. Travel expenses don't work like that. Air fare from CA to Seattle is $250. To east coast it may be $500. That's only a $250 difference. You pay for the hotel just the same as you would anywhere. Unless it is within driving range, you are flying and it doesn't matter where unless you are flying to another continent then it will be $1000. Still only $750 more than going to the next state over. You will pay more for a hotel.
Quote Reply

Prev Next