Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK, dumb question, maybe... I've ditched the socks (I actually prefer running in the zoots without socks now) but put a little Vaseline or body glide on the toes and around the back of the ankles etc. Do this before the bike section or wait til T1? Only takes a second so thinking i'll just do It off the bike though since I may or may not have socks on the bike depending on morning temps

Getting closer! Currently on the train from DC to NYC for a couple days. Weather looking good so far
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your choice, but either way I suggest you put a liberal dose of Vaseline all over the heel of your sneaker before you hand them to your Sherpa. That way it'll last a swim or two. Enjoy - the hills, the scenery, the food and the beer. Jealous and I don't even tri anymore!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [stillrollin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I've done two sessions with 4 runs / 3 swims and the Vaseline or body glove holds up pretty well. It's the bottoms of my feet that take the beating in the zoots on trails.

Looking forward to this race, Been a long time coming. Was supposed to do it in 2009 but life conspired against me
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to circle back and first say Thank You for all the solid advice that was passed on in this thread. For sure, it helped with the multiple transitions and I ended up getting a pair of the suggested Zoots which worked out great.

I can say without a doubt..the most fun I have every had in a race. I just loved everything about it. The scenery was absolutely stunning and the vibe could not have been more supportive..great energy around the entire race. If it was not a race, I could have easily stopped many times during all the swims and all the runs to take in what was around me. stunning. I raced with three of my friends and we where all an agreement this was an awesome race,, but even more so adventure and experience.

I cannot recommend the SOS enough..It was a truly special day.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone ever tried swimming with a run specific backpack and stuffing the shoes into the pack while running?
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hwangnyc wrote:
Has anyone ever tried swimming with a run specific backpack and stuffing the shoes into the pack while running?

I tucked my shoes in the back of my trishorts. I also ran with cut lava pants tucked sideways in my tri top, since I cannot swim fast, being as buoyant as an anvil. Transitions were pretty quick for me too.

The key for this type of race is to practice and time yourself. See what works well for you and plan to do it on race day. I tried swimming with my shoes but I still had a lot of drag. I even used Nike free 5.0, which float, BTW. The lakes were cool but not cold. The runs were much longer than my recent S/R race at Casco Bay.

Dale
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [dtoce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
People do all sorts of stuff. I don't know what a running backpack is but saw a few folks with mesh backpacks, drybags, etc. I just took off my shoes (zoots) and put them between my thighs like a pull buoy. Not that I am competing for a podium spot but at every transition there are tons of folks sitting around putting their shoes away and on. Lots of time lost here.

Tip whatever you do is (if you can) put your shoes on in the water rather than running out and putting them on, avoids getting dirt/sand/rocks in there.
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [dannyweissphoto] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did the same as ML-Nike Frees, with quick laces- but I used a DeSoto one piece suit with the zipper in the front-shoes went in by my belly/waist. It worked well for me. I also wore socks the whole way-if you put your shoes on in the water and never take the socks off you can save a lot of time and keep rocks out. I also wore a speedo under my tri suit- if you are going to put your shoes inside your suit you will end up with rocks/shale chips/ dirt in there. The Speedo kept that stuff from doing any real damage on the runs. I can't run without socks anyway. I wore a pair of thin tight fitting quick dry run socks-I think they were UnderArmor. Once off the bike I just carried goggles and swim cap-the aid stations were close enough so I didn't carry anything else. That first swim was a bitch-cramp city-both legs at the same time......good times! Have fun and good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [hwangnyc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No. Neither would I recommend it. Perhaps a hip-only pack would work. Hard to see how this would beat stuffing the shoes into your suit. Well ... maybe if you have highly cushioned shoes that don't fit into your suit. The key to this race is to have as few items as possible ... for me anyway. I don't even bring goggles.

hwangnyc wrote:
Quote Reply
Re: SOS triathlon. Any tips/advice people care to share [baliman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks everyone for their advice. Here's a none race question - how did you guys keep your shoes from stinking up from training? I feel like every time my sneakers get wet, they get really foul.
Quote Reply

Prev Next