Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

did u pass the tests and still have a torn meniscus
Quote | Reply
for the past 11 months I have been dealing with intermittent sharp knee pain to the medial side. I have exhausted my options w PT and doctors and injections. I had a MRI, but the only thing it showed was some very light roughening on the lateral portion. It doesn't explain the medial pain. Sometimes I get back to running for a few weeks and go in a vicious circle. I've taken 6-7 weeks off twice. My doctor doesn't think it's plica and I'm skeptical as well. I can never duplicate the pain. I'm curious if it could still be a meniscus even though I pass all the tests. In the past it caused some instability, but seems okay now. I tore my ACL years ago on the other knee and continued to play soccer afterwards. I didn't have much pain and the next day it was just stiff. I couldn't bend it, but nothing horrible. I know this is not the normal so I'm curious if maybe my meniscus is tore and maybe I'm just a weirdo when it comes to injuries. Just frustrated hearing "runners knee" all the time.
Quote Reply
Re: did u pass the tests and still have a torn meniscus [seadocha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, possible to have a normal MRI and a torn meniscus. Clinical exam by your orthopedist very important. A lot depends on the quality of the MRI.
Quote Reply
Re: did u pass the tests and still have a torn meniscus [seadocha] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MRI is not 100% sensitive so it is possible to have a tear not seen on MRI, but not common. If your symptoms and exam are suspicious and you have failed appropriate nonoperative treatment (as it sounds like you have), a diagnostic arthroscopy may be the next step. I would suggest seeing a Sports medicine orthopedist if haven't already to see if surgery would be reasonable at this time.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Re: did u pass the tests and still have a torn meniscus [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank u for your replies. I know that MRI isn't 100 percent full proof, but I pass all the movement tests and there is no palpable pain. I've hear of people having torn meniscus that haven't shown up on MRI, but they normally have stiffness, locking and other symptoms. I just can't seem to figure out what this is and I have done my PT exercises for 11 months , 2 cortisone shots and one gel shot. I just wish I could find an answer with out surgery. I don't like how my doc says he will smooth out the patella and possibly do a lateral release when the issue is always medial. Obviously he will avoid that if he gets in and see something medial, but it concerns me. Sounds like the next step though. I also roll, stretch, ice, take anti-flamms etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If your pain is medial, a lateral release doesn't seem to make sense unless I am missing something. The lack of joint line tenderness or other provocative tests makes meniscal tear less likely. Any pain with deep bending or pivoting? I'd suggest getting a second opinion. A good doctors is not offended by a patient getting a second opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: did u pass the tests and still have a torn meniscus [Dnowak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly! I have been to two orthos and three sports med docs. The other ortho just said scope and this one said he would do the lateral release if he got in and didn't see any other issues. I hate being a "test" for someone but it def sounds like I need some type of scope :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
any word on your condition? i'm having a similar experience. going to get MRI on wednesday but until now, docs have said they have a hard time believing it's meniscus because of the manipulations they perform etc… Do you feel a click when you flex and bend your knee?
Quote Reply
Re: did u pass the tests and still have a torn meniscus [BeastTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I never had any clicking, but there is always a slight chance you could have a meniscus that didn't show up. I had the scope finally done 5 weeks ago. I was determined that it was a torn meniscus, but it wasn't. After dealing with several different treatments for a year and strength training, cortisone and a gel one shot I finally knew it was time! There was a tad bit of roughening under the cap so he shaved that down ( chondroplasty) and shaved down the plica. He really didn't think my symptoms were from plica, but he said it was a tad pink. I never had to take a pain pill after surgery and the next day I showed up at the gym and rode the stationary for 20 minutes, per doctor orders. Things have been going pretty well. I'm not in a big hurry to start running, but this past Saturday I rode outside easily for 1 hr 40 minutes ( my longest time yet). I could go longer, but I don't want to over do it. Just started adding some smaller hills too. I'm so glad I had the scope done. My life was ruined. It got to the point where I couldn't cycle for more than 15 minutes, couldn't do the elliptical, kick in the swim, etc, etc. My doc said I could still run, but suggested I don't do the same work out every day and not to hammer it every day either. If you have exhausted your options the scope may be the next best thing. Sorry your having troubles and I hope you get well soon. Feel free to message and ask more if needed.

ps... my MRI showed lateral roughening, but that wasn't the case in the MRI. My doc said the only roughening was under the center of the cap ( he said grade 2, maybe grade 3 chondro).

I really wanted to avoid surgery, but I couldn't even cross train. I'm looking fwd to doing tris again and my doc approves :)
Last edited by: seadocha: Sep 30, 14 5:34
Quote Reply
Re: did u pass the tests and still have a torn meniscus [BeastTri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i just had meniscus surgery a week ago. the MRI showed a tear but the doc didnt believe it because he said that MRIs can be misleading (both showing tears that arent there and also not showing tears that are there). i passed all the 'physical' tests for a meniscus tear. i had no symptoms other than when i ran it was with crippling pain and i couldnt run more than 5 min. first thing i asked when i woke up was 'was it torn', he says to me 'ohhh yeah...you tore it good'....he had emphasized to me beforehand that any surgeon worth anything will never assume anything. meaning, there are protocols and tests but you also have to listen to the patient. he had said to me 'youll tell me when youre ready for surgery'. he also said every single surgeon, whether they admit it or not, has gone into surgery with a clear picture of what is wrong only to be surprised to find a completely different situation than expected.

long story short...keep pushing the doc...

fyi...i also had no clicking or locking myself.
Quote Reply