Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [Vans88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well at least there's still an Ironman website for the Banff race with TBD 2015 (can be reached through triseries.ca). Having said that, that was the case for Vancouver, too and this IM site is gone now.
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [tobi_tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is too bad. The victoria/ vancouver was a great double.
It was also nice to buy a season pass...great value for a summer if racing.

I wonder about shawnigan lake as wel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where are you reading that Van Half Iron is gone?
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [mopey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Where are you reading it is happening? No news is bad news in this case. - Doesn't show up in the race calendar in ironman.com either.
-
Last edited by: tobi_tri: Sep 10, 14 14:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Vancouver, Banff and Saskatoon are still showing as 5150 and Sprint events, but no 70.3's as noted.

It would be terribly unfortunate if Ironman is in effect buying out a fantastic race series and shutting down all the half iron events, Victoria aside.

I've always been surprised that Ironman doesn't have a 70.3 in the Okanagan , especially with Oliver struggling and I think Osoyoos being none existent this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I see that on the schedule now. Disappointing if we do loose that half option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tobi_tri wrote:
Registration is open for 2015 but no word on WC slots... Also as expected it seems that the Vancouver half is shut down. Thanks WTC for buying out an entire race series at the west coast and concentrating it into one event...

I read in the FAQs this morning that there are 70 slots allocated for the 2015 WC.

How is the water temperature for this race?
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [wide awake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nope. I think that's old info from this year's race: "IRONMAN 70.3 Victoria will have 75 qualifying slots available to the 2014 IRONMAN 70.3 World Championship."

Water temp was fine. Just right but the lake can be surprisingly choppy.
Last edited by: tobi_tri: Sep 10, 14 14:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tobi_tri wrote:
Yup, also gone. Was never a half distance though. But still... Maybe a 70.3 Banff in the making? No idea. Unlikely with Calgary 70.3 being around the corner.

Banff was cancelled? No other RD took over the race? Or just not yet...?

I heard Calgary 70.3 is in trouble if it can't secure a lake.
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [wide awake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wide awake wrote:
tobi_tri wrote:
Registration is open for 2015 but no word on WC slots... Also as expected it seems that the Vancouver half is shut down. Thanks WTC for buying out an entire race series at the west coast and concentrating it into one event...

I read in the FAQs this morning that there are 70 slots allocated for the 2015 WC.

How is the water temperature for this race?

75 but it was for 2014 WC. No words for 2015
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [playmobil31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If Vancouver is gone it will be a huge disappointment for many of us. The timing in July and the location are /were awesome. They had HUGE numbers this year. Shplain why, me no understand !

I'll see you in the run
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
tobi_tri wrote:
Yup, also gone. Was never a half distance though. But still... Maybe a 70.3 Banff in the making? No idea. Unlikely with Calgary 70.3 being around the corner.

Banff wasn't cancelled. Same as 2013, both a Sprint and Olympic distance race was held along with team events. I was part of a team this year as I was last year. Fantastic weather for the race although the lake was a bit cool and as such they shortened the swim. And, the start was delayed due to sheep on the road. The bike course was back to what it was pre-flood so all seems good.

Calgary is negotiating for a lake now. I don't know the details behind that although they have had the race in 2 different lakes the past 2 years. Prior to that it was at the Ghost Reservoir which was known to be rather chilly. There are a number of manmade lakes, especially in South Calgary so I'd be surprised if they couldn't get one of them. There are a couple of other Triathlons held out of a couple of them, from Super Sprint to HIM. But as of right now you can't register for the Calgary 70.3.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
NordicSkier wrote:
tobi_tri wrote:

Banff wasn't cancelled. Same as 2013, both a Sprint and Olympic distance race was held along with team events. I was part of a team this year as I was last year. Fantastic weather for the race although the lake was a bit cool and as such they shortened the swim. And, the start was delayed due to sheep on the road. The bike course was back to what it was pre-flood so all seems good.

Calgary is negotiating for a lake now. I don't know the details behind that although they have had the race in 2 different lakes the past 2 years. Prior to that it was at the Ghost Reservoir which was known to be rather chilly. There are a number of manmade lakes, especially in South Calgary so I'd be surprised if they couldn't get one of them. There are a couple of other Triathlons held out of a couple of them, from Super Sprint to HIM. But as of right now you can't register for the Calgary 70.3.

I knew Banff went this year.. I was wondering about next year.

A Calgarian told me Ghost Lake has not been safe to swim since the floods last year. Still a massive amount of debris lurking just under the surface.
Calgary communities are notoriously protective about their private lakes... I wouldn't be surprised if the race got shut out!
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [Vans88] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Banff is still on the WTC website for 2015 - 5150 race.
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [playmobil31] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slot mystery has been solved. Victoria will have 30 slots for the 70.3 WC in Austria.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and for those that care.... The Western Subaru Series Package Deal is now toast. You'll have to pay for each race (which ones remain?) individually, and rob a bank for the ferry cost.

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [Hydrosloth] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is really shitty. Vancouver half was my favourite race. And the race series was one hell of a deal.

Thanks WTC, for working hard to to expand the sport of triathlon by buy a perfectly good and long standing race series with great numbers, and simply making it disappear. Great work. I also look forward to our local Victoria half selling out much earlier even with the new jacked up WTC race fees.

Long Chile was a silly place.
Quote Reply
Re: inaugural Victoria 70.3 [BCtriguy1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really looks like that the only race left will be victoria. I highly doubt WTC runs only olympic races in Vancouver and Banff. And since these races are still TBD on the website I'm afraid there will never be a 2015 date. Overall really frustrating.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  1. I can't see the Vancouver race going away. The numbers there were pretty solid. I'd even venture to say that it had built up a "history" with athletes.
  2. Shawnigan Lake, I'm not so sure. Does this mean that Joe Dixon may "win" as his Oliver race is now back to being the earlier season reality check. And because he works for the "corporation" is there any incentive for him to establish another race, especially considering he had to can his Osoyoos race? (partly, I suspect due to the fondo being held the same weekend).

http://www.fitspeek.com the Fraser Valley's fitness, wellness, and endurance sports podcast
Quote Reply

Prev Next