Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: VeloVie [SurfingLamb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Found it! http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...ing=velovie;#4560801

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
I'll try to dig up the thread where the Velovie owner was getting roasted by Slowtwitch and was asked to provide tunnel data and he never came back to respond. Save your money and spend it on companies who actually do the research and development. Be proud of the bike you own instead of riding a repainted copy

How can you 'be proud' of something you simply cut a check for? I spend money, therefore... what exactly?
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [Rival10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let me explain. I'm an engineer...therefore I tend to value companies that put the time, research, testing, etc. into making a product. I would much rather give my money to a company that has done this and has engineers on staff designing than to give my money to someone who just bought an open mold and painted it. Sure, most people probably won't think like I do but there's something to be said for riding a bike that has been throughly designed, tested, and proven to give you extra speed.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This plus the added security of service. I bought a guru chrono a few years back and after the seat clamp cracked sent it back. Two weeks later the bike came back, well they actually built a new bike for me which was fantastic. I'd rather pay more for a level of service and support if I need it. In this case the bike was out of warranty and they took care of it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
VeloVie frames are open mold frames just painted with a companies name on it

I am still very curious about this, and have been email back and forth with the company. This is what they have told me...

"We've allowed our frame designs to be made toother companies outside of the US as it was more cost-effective for VeloVie.Although these other brands may share a similar design, the carbon layup is notthe same. Our Carbon-Axis layup of 30, 40 and 60 ton carbon fiber isproprietary to VeloVie products and other similar framesets may feature a morea more simple and less effective layup design"
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [chrisinma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisinma wrote:
This plus the added security of service. I bought a guru chrono a few years back and after the seat clamp cracked sent it back. Two weeks later the bike came back, well they actually built a new bike for me which was fantastic. I'd rather pay more for a level of service and support if I need it. In this case the bike was out of warranty and they took care of it.

^^This^^

There is a piece of mind, for me at least, that the bike company that you may pay a little extra for will warranty their product later down the line should anything happen..beyond a wreck of course.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [user123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
user123 wrote:
BryanD wrote:

I am still very curious about this, and have been email back and forth with the company. This is what they have told me...

"We've allowed our frame designs to be made toother companies outside of the US as it was more cost-effective for VeloVie.Although these other brands may share a similar design, the carbon layup is notthe same. Our Carbon-Axis layup of 30, 40 and 60 ton carbon fiber isproprietary to VeloVie products and other similar framesets may feature a morea more simple and less effective layup design"

This is what you call marketing bullshit. They just admitted to you they don't design the frames but pick the carbon layup. So basically...your buying a bike with a frame that has never been proven in a tunnel but may be stiffer or have "higher quality" carbon. Pass on Velovie, they are a cheap mans bicycle.

Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [user123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was fairly skeptical about VeloVie, but I am just a touch more impressed after a coworker recently purchased Vitesse 400 and I got to put my hands on the bike. It seems like a fairly decent frame at a surficial glance and she selected the SRAM Red group. It was interesting to talk with her over the weeks of deciding as she did test rides for the Giant Propel, Cervelo S5 and Trek Madone, but ended up the happiest with the VeloVie even though she was ready to pay higher dollars for a one of the brand name bikes on the list.

Since it is not me (I tried to get her to test ride a Felt AR :-) ) I think it is pretty cool that she is really happy with the bike after riding a few weeks. I have not heard one negative word from her about the bike. I respect that the most important thing is the owner's enjoyment over the purchase my opinion of sticking to a brand name should mean very little to her.

-------------------------------------------

As far as getting a popular brand name for a lower price, I got my Felt B10 on consignment because someone bought the wrong size and only used it a few times before selling it. I got the frame, fork and bars for less than $1K. Now if someone in my area that is about 6'5" would mistakenly buy a 51cm Felt AR1 or a Cervelo S3 frame I know where there is a good shop that can help you sell the frame on consignment. :-)
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [Felt_Rider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
+1 - To me it's all about what you are happy on. I have a Vitesse 300 and have been on it for several years now. I bought a set of American Classic 420's from an ST'r that perfectly match the bikes paint job. I get tons of compliments. I love the thing. Mine is dressed in Ultegra and I absolutely love riding it. I've put a beating on it, (jumped it over some rubber in the roadway yesterday as a matter of fact) and have had absolutely zero issues. Each time I see someone else on one I ask them how they like it, and all feedback has been 100% positive. I got mine when the local roadie team were sponsored by them a few years ago and got a smoking deal. The road team has moved on to another bike sponsor but they didn't have any issues with their Velo Vies the two years that they raced them. For MOP trigeeks like me, I think they are a great bike for a great deal. I very much look forward to getting off the tri bike and riding my Velo Vie in the off season.

Does frame composition/construction really going to matter to most of us? Nah, I don't think so.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [tritimmy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Has anyone visited Velovie in Tempe? I plan to stop by when I am in Phoenix for work. I want to check out the bikes and frame sizes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
user123 wrote:
BryanD wrote:

This is what you call marketing bullshit. They just admitted to you they don't design the frames but pick the carbon layup. So basically...your buying a bike with a frame that has never been proven in a tunnel but may be stiffer or have "higher quality" carbon. Pass on Velovie, they are a cheap mans bicycle.

In reading multiple reviews, here is some information:

FROM www.biketestreviews.com:
· High quality frame coupled with high quality components.
· Attention to detail is better than most models in ‘concept’ stores.
· No, it’s not the same frame you can buy on Alibaba
· I have read some of the accusations that have been hurled at VeloVie, accusing them of selling open-box products and implying unsafe frames/forks. I went to the Chinese manufacturers websites that were referenced in these slanderous forum posts and could not find a single frame that looks like the 500.
· Quote from Velovie, "Our frames are built in China, however we don’t give out the name of our manufacturer. We do use a tube to tube process however combining 30, 40 and 60 ton carbon in the construction of every Vitesse 500 frame (no openmolds here). Instead of going through the lowest to middle to top tier level carbon of the other brands (open molds utilizing the lowest level of carbon), we have a frameset designed with a specific feel in mind from the getgo without offering a cheaper, lower quality version. For those that are concerned with the look-alikes, there might be similar looking frames out there and they are not ours. We can guarantee the quality of ours, but not the quality of theirs."

FROM www.roadbikereview.com
· The Vitesse 500 weighs just shy of 15 pounds and is built with VeloVie’s Carbon Axis Formula, a mixture of 70, 40 and 30-ton modulus carbon. They claim this formula has helped them achieve the perfect balance of lateral stiffness and vertical give, providing stability where you need it, without adding bulk and weight where you don’t.
· After assembling the bike and a few weeks of riding, the Vitesse 500 appears to offer an affordable, high quality alternative for roadies who want an affordable, but premium ride.

FROM www.bikeradar.com
· With an actual frame weight of 1,120g (including the rear derailleur hanger, seatpost collar, and water bottle bolts), our sample impressively comes in 40g below Velo Vie's official claim. Likewise, the tapered all-carbon fork weighs just 380g with a 220mm steerer and no compression plug – 60g lighter than the figure provided to us.
· Neither value is remarkably light, mind, but they're reasonable numbers given the pricing – and we dare say that many buyers would be more than happy to save a bundle of cash in exchange for a few hundred grams.
At the end of the day you have to be comfortable on your ride and happy with the decision you made.
Quote Reply
Re: VeloVie [brptak] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So how come there is no talk of design, engineering, and tunnel testing on their website? I don't believe them and would never give them my money. For some people, it's a good deal. Just not for me

Last edited by: BryanD: Jul 30, 14 11:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I met with Velovie last week at their Tempe, AZ Headquarters when I was in Phoenix for a business trip. I was very impressed with the Road and TRI frames as well as the components/group sets.

Velovie is having a huge September sale to clear out remaining inventory as they are about to roll out new Road and TRI models. They are also rolling out their first cyclocross and mountain bikes. Velovie's sister company is State Bicycle, which produces fixed and single gear bikes. Lastly they also own Essor Wheels.

I picked up a 51cm Vitesse 500. When I go back to Phoenix in 3 weeks for another business trip, they are going to do a fit, then package up my bike and ship it. Because of their September sale I saved $1,100! Great customer service and very accommodating.
Last edited by: brptak: Sep 15, 14 19:10
Quote Reply

Prev Next