Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Smackdown! armytriguy vs. klehner: The Background
Quote | Reply
As anyone who ventures into the Lavender Room (and lives) would know, armytriguy and I have quite dissimilar views on a whole range of subjects. Well, apparently all subjects. We do try and be respectful of each other's beliefs, for the most part.

I did a duathlon in April in Delaware. Unbeknowst to me, armytriguy was there, too, and he is in the same 45-49 age group as am I. Seeing as I'm not one of those gutless anonymous forum posters, he recognized my name in the registration list, and determined to keep an eye on me during the race; I had no such knowledge of him. I managed to distance him on the first run, only to have him catch me with a few miles to go on the bike. He finished the race exactly :10 ahead of me (see the results at http://www.lin-mark.com/special/bwdures.txt, thus exposing armytriguy's real identity). Knowing that I was right behind him and gaining on him provided enough motivation to hold me off. He introduced himself after the race (not before the race!), and we briefly chatted.

So it started.

"and when he had wept and torn his beard he fell silent. Seven days he sat and said no word. Then he stood up and said: 'This cannot be borne!'" (who said it?)

Tomorrow: The Challenge

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Smackdown! armytriguy vs. klehner: The Background [klehner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Without looking it up, I think your quote is from The Silmarillion; the prelude to the War of the Dwarves and Orcs. Can't recall the dwarf's name that said it but chances are good that his name was Durin.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You're outing Bob?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
smoke 'em

c'mon, you've got the cool matching wheel cover and all...

he'll be weeping when he realizes he got beat by a Democrat!

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote Reply
Re: Smackdown! armytriguy vs. klehner: The Background [surferdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Without looking it up, I think your quote is from The Silmarillion; the prelude to the War of the Dwarves and Orcs. Can't recall the dwarf's name that said it but chances are good that his name was Durin.
Right body of literature, wrong book, wrong dwarf. Well done.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Smackdown! armytriguy vs. klehner: The Background [Diablo-Advocato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
You're outing Bob?
Ha, you are funny!

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Drat.

If not the Silmarillion, prolly the LoTR Appenices.
Quote Reply
Re: Smackdown! armytriguy vs. klehner: The Background [surferdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Drat.

If not the Silmarillion, prolly the LoTR Appendices.
Bingo. Thrain.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, I can't tell you how happy I am to know there are other Tolkien readers out there who can recognize quotes from the Appendices in Lord of the Rings. I don't get wrapped up in discussing them like my sisters, but I have certainly read the books often enough to recognize that particular quote.

That was like a strange blast from out of the blue.

Chad

P.S. At which race is the smackdown taking place?
Quote Reply
Re: Smackdown! armytriguy vs. klehner: The Background [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Wow, I can't tell you how happy I am to know there are other Tolkien readers out there who can recognize quotes from the Appendices in Lord of the Rings. I don't get wrapped up in discussing them like my sisters, but I have certainly read the books often enough to recognize that particular quote.

That was like a strange blast from out of the blue.

Chad

P.S. At which race is the smackdown taking place?

I have read the trilogy, The Hobbit, The Silmarillion, and many of the other books dozens of times. Love them.

As for the race, details tomorrow.

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I shoulda thought about it longer; it was the murder of Thrain's father Thror that started it all wasn't it? Thanks for the entertainment!
Last edited by: surferdave: Aug 22, 05 7:20
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not sure how armytriguy did (I don't know his name) but Ken got 8th overall today.
Quote Reply
Re: Smackdown! armytriguy vs. klehner: The Background [sevans] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply]I'm not sure how armytriguy did (I don't know his name) but Ken got 8th overall today.[/reply]

He finished behind me :-)

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You were both ahead of me! Good work by both of you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hit the 45-49 AG on Sept. 28th. Both of you guys are in trouble. Just ask armytriguy how fast I used to be. Yep....the older I get, the faster I was ;-)

T.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great result. I trust you both benefitted from the competition, and that's what it's all about!

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Smackdown! armytriguy vs. klehner: The Background [Titan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Great result. I trust you both benefitted from the competition, and that's what it's all about!
Not sure that ATG benefitted. He commented that he probably went too fast on the first run to limit the damage, and didn't have a good bike as a result. A bit easier on the run and he might have made up much more time on the bike. My neck is sore from riding 20 miles while looking over my shoulder...

"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply