Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [rbuike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think she demonstrated a huge improvement in this weekend's race over a year ago. She would have most certainly been dropped from the lead group last year, and usually was. She is much more balanced this year, which is quite alarming for anyone who fancies beating her.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [bwain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
The fact that she is not on the Venge makes me cringe....

Yes, I pointed out a year ago in this thread that there is absolutely no reason for someone with her height and proportions to be on "women's specific" bike (the Amira). It still makes me want to tear my hair out that the world's best draft-legal female triathlete is on a bike that doesn't fit her. Every single Specialized-sponsored male ITU pro seems to be on a Venge; every single female Specialized-sponsored female ITU pro seems to be on an Amira. It makes me crazy.

And I will never understand her choice of wheels.
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Finally some outrage over her wheel choice!! And while we're at it, why no evade?

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
She was wearing an Evade at Auckland - custom painted in Red Bull colors.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Auckland was a bit wet and had the potential to be very wet on the bike on a hilly technical course so with I would guess many of the athletes wanted aluminum brake surfaces. Based on her wheel choice for the race I would guess Gwen is sponsored by HED meaning her only two real choices were Jet 4s and Ardennes (which she road). Given the course and the style of race, matching accelerations rather than pushing from the front, I think the Ardennes were the right choice, and would be curious to know how much you think she actually lost by the wheel choice.
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [scott8888] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ahh, the old "accelerations" argument. Classic.

Jet 6 blacks. Solve all problems.
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All problems except handling. ITU draft legal rules means you must run the same dimension wheels front and rear. You may not have an issue running a 60 up front but more athletes would run them if they felt comfortable controlling them.
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kjmcawesome wrote:
Finally some outrage over her wheel choice!! And while we're at it, why no evade?

Her wheel choice is fine really.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
matching accelerations

A deeper wheel will accelerate faster than a shallow wheel, despite the inertia penalty.

But, the well shaped 30mm wheels like the HED Ardennes are very nearly as aero at low yaw, so it isn't a big deal.

Should prolly run a Jet6 or 9 in the rear though =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
All problems except handling. ITU draft legal rules means you must run the same dimension wheels front and rear. You may not have an issue running a 60 up front but more athletes would run them if they felt comfortable controlling them.

Oh really? Interesting.

Well, Jet4s then =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:

The actual rule is that both wheels must be the same diameter, meaning you can not run a 650c front wheel and a 700c rear wheel. It does not say that you can not run different wheel depths front and rear.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
bwain wrote:
The fact that she is not on the Venge makes me cringe....

Yes, I pointed out a year ago in this thread that there is absolutely no reason for someone with her height and proportions to be on "women's specific" bike (the Amira). It still makes me want to tear my hair out that the world's best draft-legal female triathlete is on a bike that doesn't fit her. Every single Specialized-sponsored male ITU pro seems to be on a Venge; every single female Specialized-sponsored female ITU pro seems to be on an Amira. It makes me crazy.

And I will never understand her choice of wheels.

It's really crazy. They must be paying her a LOT of money to ride that specific frame which clearly doesn't fit her. Even a clown bike would be more comfortable and aero.
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No the rule as explicitly stated is the the wheels must be the same 'dimensions' not just the same diameter. Its rule is poorly stated due to the fact that the front and rear wheels are never of the same dimensions due to spoke count and dish shape but you do have to use the same depth of the rim. I'm surprised by how little credit people are giving the entire ITU field in terms of knowledge about the rules. Do you really think that the Brownlee's, Gomez, ect. just choose to never race deeper rear wheels than front wheels? Do you really think that the reason no one in Auckland was running mismatched diameter wheels was that the advantage just hadn't occurred to anyone? Give the professions a bit of credit here.
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [chaparral] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chaparral wrote:
scott8888 wrote:

The actual rule is that both wheels must be the same diameter, meaning you can not run a 650c front wheel and a 700c rear wheel. It does not say that you can not run different wheel depths front and rear.

I was just about ready to say that :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bwain wrote:
Every single Specialized-sponsored male ITU pro seems to be on a Venge; every single female Specialized-sponsored female ITU pro seems to be on an Amira. It makes me crazy.

Specialized is sponsoring her to market bikes, especially their women's bike since she's a WOMAN.

Sponsored athletes don't usually have the luxury of choosing every piece of their equipment.
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [BSUdude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
what does her being a woman have to do with anything? She's a kick-ass athlete, she should be on a kick-ass bike.

BSUdude wrote:
bwain wrote:
Every single Specialized-sponsored male ITU pro seems to be on a Venge; every single female Specialized-sponsored female ITU pro seems to be on an Amira. It makes me crazy.

Specialized is sponsoring her to market bikes, especially their women's bike since she's a WOMAN.

Sponsored athletes don't usually have the luxury of choosing every piece of their equipment.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's not how it's enforced at Continental Cups. Interpretation among North American based officials is that the rule pertains to a 650/700 combination, not an 808/404 combo.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scott8888 wrote:
No the rule as explicitly stated is the the wheels must be the same 'dimensions' not just the same diameter. Its rule is poorly stated due to the fact that the front and rear wheels are never of the same dimensions due to spoke count and dish shape but you do have to use the same depth of the rim. I'm surprised by how little credit people are giving the entire ITU field in terms of knowledge about the rules. Do you really think that the Brownlee's, Gomez, ect. just choose to never race deeper rear wheels than front wheels? Do you really think that the reason no one in Auckland was running mismatched diameter wheels was that the advantage just hadn't occurred to anyone? Give the professions a bit of credit here.

Ok, Paragraph 5.2 Equipment, Section c.) Wheels, Subsection (vi) Elite Draft legal, "Both wheels must be of equal diameter". No where in the rules say the front and rear wheels must be the same dimensions. This is directly from the most recent copy of the rules. If you can find where it says they must be the same dimension, I will gladly concede my point.

Where did I say anything about professionals not knowing the rules?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The ITU rulebook...the whole section on wheels

5.2. Equipment:

c.) Wheels:
(i) No wheel may contain any mechanisms, which are capable of accelerating it;
(ii) Tubular tyres must be well glued, the levers of the quick releases must be
closed tightly onto the hubs and wheels must be fixed properly onto the
frame;
(iii) There must be a brake on each wheel;
(iv) Wheels can be replaced only at official Wheel Stations, where provided;
(v) Officials at the Wheel Station will give the proper wheel to the athlete. The
athlete is responsible for replacing the wheel in the forks. Wheels
designated specifically for other athletes or teams cannot be used;
(vi) For Elite, U23, Junior and Youth draft-legal competitions, wheels must have
the following characteristics:
A diameter between 70 cm maximum and 55 cm minimum, including
the tyre;
Both wheels must be of equal diameter;
Wheels shall have at least 16 metal spokes;

Spokes can be round, flattened or oval, provided their width does not
exceed 2.4 mm;
The maximum rim dimension will be 25 mm. on each side;
Wheels not complying with the requirements above are allowed to be
used if they are included in the UCI non-standard wheels list.
(vii) For Age Group draft-legal competitions, wheels must have the following
characteristics:
Wheels shall have at least 12spokes;
Disc wheels are not allowed.
(viii) For draft-illegal, competitions, covers are allowed on the rear wheel.
However, this provision may be changed by the Technical Delegate in the
interest of safety, i.e. high-winds

http://www.triathlon.org/...es_december20141.pdf
Last edited by: jaretj: Mar 31, 15 9:00
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: GWEN...OMG... Please learn to draft [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's definitely allowed. So are 808s though, so use them!*

*Advice is coming from a 185 lb male. May not be advisable for 110 lb women on technical courses.

IG: idking90
Quote Reply

Prev Next