Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Garmin Vector thoughts?
Quote | Reply
I have the opportunity to pick up a Garmin Vector set up at a reasonable price, anyone use it here or have any thoughts about it related to others? I have read some of the other threads, but would like to get some updated info from those who have used it.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [brian_j_smith] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have them and like them. I use them between 2 bikes (TT and Road). Switching over is relatively simple and quick, just keep a torque wrench handy. I went for the Vectors as I have different wheel sets and different bikes that have different bottom brackets.

As I don't have any other PM, I can't compare and contrast between other hardware, but am really pleased with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had some initial teething problems, especially in regards to battery issues, but a new firmware update seems to have cured those ails. As others, here and elsewhere have said, the advantage is that it's *really* easy to swap between bikes and wheels. I'm relatively happy with the purchase, and now that the battery issues are fixed, I'm all smiles.

Jokingly, the only problem is that my watts are always too low . . .
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love mine..transformed my training. What specifically are you looking for?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Data seems to be reasonable from them so far.
If you wanted to do power balance experiments they are the top choice.

Powertap is still by far the easiest to swap though =0

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brian_j_smith wrote:
I have the opportunity to pick up a Garmin Vector set up at a reasonable price, anyone use it here or have any thoughts about it related to others? I have read some of the other threads, but would like to get some updated info from those who have used it.

Personally, I think they're great. I would consider them equal to or better than the Quarq models in terms of features, ease of use, pricing and accuracy/reliability. I have a Quarq Red on my tri bike; the numbers "seem" to line up with those pretty closely.

I have been using them for ~2 months; I wrote a review of them here.
Last edited by: James Haycraft: Apr 23, 14 5:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got a set and really, really like them. Make sure you get a beam style torque wrench that can go both directions, not a click style.

Installation is super easy.

I was tired of having to switch tires and install a cover on my powertap for each race, which is why I went with the Vector. Numbers line up very well with the PT.

No regrets so far.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thans for all your feedback everyone, I will definitely look into these a bit more now. Ease of use is definitely a requirement, and the ability to swap between a road and tri bike of different brands was also a concern.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [James Haycraft] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great review…thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One other thing- to make it easier, make sure you have a bike computer that can have different bike profiles, especially if your bikes have different crank lengths. My road bike are 172.5s, my TT are 175s. I have a Garmin 510, so having two profiles means I don't have to enter a new crank length each time.

speedySTATES
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [fartleker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
fartleker wrote:
I just got a set and really, really like them. Make sure you get a beam style torque wrench that can go both directions, not a click style.
???

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just picked up a set as well. I've previously owned a Powertap (with disk cover), and a Quarq. I have to say I've been super impressed so far with the ease of use and simplicity of the installation. It's liberating to be able to consider wheel selection without worrying about the Powertap. I avoided the crank based PM as my bike has Ultegra 6800 and I didn't want to worry about mixing components. The best part of Vector in my book (other than the performance) is that it has almost no comparability issues. You can use any wheel, crank, chainring, or bike you want.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xtrpickels wrote:
fartleker wrote:
???

There are some clickers that will only click one way. Since one of the pedals is a left hand thread you will need to CW and CCW torque. I have a few of them in my stock of torque wrenches. All of my good torque wrenches work both ways though.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ah. Ok.
My wrench works in both directions, didn't realize that some didn't.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

yes, powertap is so easy to swamp from my road bike to my cross bike. it s also useless. I still havent had any success on the swamp on my 29ers full suspention that i use as training bike on fire/forestery road!!!! i also find my powertap to be hard to swim for it s training wheel to the disc wheel and the climbing wheel and my weekend warrior wheels ;)

Vector is the most versatile BY FAR

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've had a set for about 6 months now and really, really like it. This is my first power meter, so I really can't compare it to other options out there. However, since I have both a road and a time trial bike, each with different bottom brackets and crank arm lengths, as well as multiple wheel sets, this was the best option. If I change or upgrade bikes or wheels, I keep my power meter. I've had zero issues with the pods and switching is easy, so long as you have a torque wrench and claw.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [kenpetruzzelli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Vector is my first power meter, but have some trainer rides from a buddies power tap. Numbers are real close. Power balance is interesting and may reveal some surprises. TIP: torque correctly and save a ton of frustration. (When they are a bit loose they still work but make you look like weak sauce.) Overall there pretty sweet IMO.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like a lot of people have the Garmin's now. So what I really want to know is how the pedals are holding up? Are the cleats as terrible as the Look Keo's? Do they squeak, etc.? How fast do the cleats wear out?
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Garmin Vector gets 2 thumbs up for me.

PLEASE NOTE - i have not switched them between bikes yet.

I have used power for a couple of years, power tap was my PM of choice. And every race it was a pain in the butt to make a decision. finally after having full sets of HED, Zipps, Reynolds, Williams and doing a number of road races it was time.

In terms of how the pedals will hold up its difficult to say, but so far Vector is very good. No issues with sqeeking, everything fits, power readout has been perfect and very consistent.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [trix99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trix, were you already using Look-type pedals before buying the Vector's? So is your plan to just leave pedals off all your bikes, and when you need to ride one of your bikes, you move the Vectors to that bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The pedals seem to be good build quality. I can see them lasting well (I've only had mine since October, but that's a good 3000 miles).

Cleats: I just use Keo cleats (the cleats in the box look identical to the Keo red cleats). I've never had problems with them wearing out really quickly unless I'm racing tris and run on them through transition. I go through probably 1 set of Keo cleats a year and I don't let them wear that much before I change them. I've also only had one minor squeak (with my Keo2 Max Carbons, not the Vector) and I think I just lubed the springs on the pedal and it went away.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
Trix, were you already using Look-type pedals before buying the Vector's? So is your plan to just leave pedals off all your bikes, and when you need to ride one of your bikes, you move the Vectors to that bike?

i got mine 1st of march and they probably have around 1700 miles. since i have 4 bikes right now, i plan on taking the pedals off my racing roadie and TT bike. come race time i just switch them. the installation is very simple.

i did also get a great deal on mine through the LBS. also yes i have look pedals on all my bikes, but the clip is slightly different for vector pedals. the one thing i will say is, i do need to change the clips on all my shoes since i have a few pairs i hate changing clips before rides.
Quote Reply
Re: Garmin Vector thoughts? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
jackmott wrote:

yes, powertap is so easy to swamp from my road bike to my cross bike. it s also useless. I still havent had any success on the swamp on my 29ers full suspention that i use as training bike on fire/forestery road!!!! i also find my powertap to be hard to swim for it s training wheel to the disc wheel and the climbing wheel and my weekend warrior wheels ;)

Vector is the most versatile BY FAR

I think the powertap v. garmin vector on a cx bike is a pretty terrible point to hit on. If I "swamp" some vectors onto my cx bike they aren't going to be very useful with my mountain bike shoes. A powertap laced to something like a flo 30 is actually a pretty good possibility if you want versatility. Works great for a road wheel, not a bad TT wheel with a cover, and then you can run it tubeless for cx.
Quote Reply