Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Foot pain
Quote | Reply
I use my mountain bike shoes and pedals on my road bike and they have always worked fine but recently after my long rides I have been experiencing foot pain on the bottom of my foot in the approx location of where my cleat/pedal are. Any thoughts on how to fix the issue?
Quote Reply
Re: Foot pain [macinmt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
New shoes and pedals?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A few thoughts:

What kind of shoes and pedals? Since you're on mountain bike shoes, my first guess is SPD pedals.

How old are the shoes?

Pull out the insoles and feel inside the shoes - can you feel the cleat screws pushing through? SPDs include two different lengths of screws, and often the longer screws are just a little too long. It doesn't take much.

Is the pain more on the outside of the foot or directly above the cleat?

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS | F.I.S.T. | IBFI
Toughman Triathlon Series Ambassador
Quote Reply
Re: Foot pain [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It could be morton's neuroma. Bikers get Morton's neuroma more frequently than other folks because of the shoes they wear. Biking shoes generally have a small toe box and squeeze the toes together at the ball of the foot - right where the cleat attached to the bike leading to Morton's neuroma.

Does your foot hurt when you squeeze the foot in i.e. squeeze at the sides of your foot adjacent to the ball of your foot?

I am a physician and was a longtime sufferer with Morton's neuroma which was finally cured by non surgical procedures done under ultrasound guidance.

My wife is the medical director of the Center for Morton's Neuroma. ( http://www.mortonsneuroma.com )
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Mark4422 meant to reply to you, so I'll bump the thread - would love to hear if you made any progress on this!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply
Re: Foot pain [Travis R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Update:
I was in the bike shop getting a new cassette, crankset, and bottom bracket and happened to look at the road shoes available. Last year's models were on sale so I tried a few pair on an settled on new shoes and new pedals for the road bike. It was a bit of an impulse purchase but with St. George and CDA coming up I didn't want to play around with sore feet. The purchase was about two weeks prior to St. George so I figured I could get used to the shoes and if need be switch back if they weren't broken in. Then I got strep throat and only managed to get one 20 mile bike ride in before the race. I took a gamble and rode with the new shoes and pedals and got lucky. While my feet were a little sore at the end of the race they were much better than they've been on recent long rides. So I am thinking it was the shoes. I'll post more if I things change.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's good to hear!

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
Quote Reply