Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Issues with using an ANT+ stick for more than one application
Quote | Reply
I have been using the Suunto ANT + stick in conjunction with Trainer Road for about 4 months with no problem. Last week, I picked up the Garmin Vivofit, which also uses an ANT + stick. Instead of taking up two of my USB ports with ANT + sticks, I put the one that came with my Vivofit in my work computer and left my Suunto in my home computer.

Unfortunately, both Trainer Road and Garmin Express won't "see" the stick if I was last using it with the other program. For example, I did a trainer ride this morning and used the Suunto to pick up info from my power meter with no problem. I was also capturing heart rate data on my Vivofit. When I went to sync my vivofit, however, Garmin Express said there wasn't an ANT+ stick connected. I closed out of Trainer Road and unplugged/plugged in the stick again, and suddenly Garmin Express "saw" it.

Is this an inherent limitation in ANT+ tech, or is this a software issue with either Trainer Road or (more likely) Garmin Express?
Quote Reply
Re: Issues with using an ANT+ stick for more than one application [Apollo526] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Apollo526 wrote:
Unfortunately, both Trainer Road and Garmin Express won't "see" the stick if I was last using it with the other program.
While not directly related Suunto's USB devices like the Movestick Mini are ANT but not true ANT+ which only becomes an issue if you want to use ANT+ speed, cadence, and power at the same time.

Apollo526 wrote:
Is this an inherent limitation in ANT+ tech, or is this a software issue with either Trainer Road or (more likely) Garmin Express?
It is more of a consequence of a hard limitation with current operating systems. Typically a USB ANT stick cannot be shared by multiple applications so even when the connected application that used the device closes, often times there may be a 'service' running in the background that maintains connection data for the specified device so even if you are not running the app, if the ANT stick is connected, the background process will take ownership. For example, by default Garmin ANT Agent and Garmin Express enter a running state at the time of computer startup which allows the applications to immediately connect when a USB ANT+ device is present but that means while Garmin uses the device, TrainerRoad will not be able to connect and vice versa.

TrainerRoad won't connect to my ANT USB stick
Why is my Garmin device not communicating with Garmin Applications?

¯\_(ăƒ„)_/¯
Quote Reply
Re: Issues with using an ANT+ stick for more than one application [ms6073] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ms6073 wrote:
It is more of a consequence of a hard limitation with current operating systems. Typically a USB ANT stick cannot be shared by multiple applications so even when the connected application that used the device closes, often times there may be a 'service' running in the background that maintains connection data for the specified device so even if you are not running the app, if the ANT stick is connected, the background process will take ownership. For example, by default Garmin ANT Agent and Garmin Express enter a running state at the time of computer startup which allows the applications to immediately connect when a USB ANT+ device is present but that means while Garmin uses the device, TrainerRoad will not be able to connect and vice versa.
Exactly.

As discussed in another thread. Any number of devices can receive the broadcast signals sent by a PM, HRM, etc., but a program on the computer has to lock the receiving method (USB) for itself.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply