Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Calibrating Garmin in T1
Quote | Reply
New Garmin and PM user here, looking for tips on using my Edge on race day. Can satellite acquisition and calibration be done prior to the swim, or must this be done in T1? Thanks for any input...

Chris

Chasing The Big Race In The Sky
@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrating Garmin in T1 [Zippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do it prior to the swim. Just make sure the "auto off" setting is disabled. One less thing to worry about in T1.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Zippy wrote:
New Garmin and PM user here, looking for tips on using my Edge on race day. Can satellite acquisition and calibration be done prior to the swim, or must this be done in T1? Thanks for any input...

Chris

I tend to add mine to my bike before the swim. Make sure it is turned on and even start the session, making sure you have Auto Pause on and Auto Power Down off. Should be fine. I tend to forget to press the start button otherwise.

Thanks

On the internet, you can be anything you want. It is a pity so many people choose to be stupid.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not sure what happened, but I calibrated my 810 w auto power off switched off before swim at Florida 70.3. Calibrated fine then, but started the bike and no power or hr. I assume my battery was low and died in the 2 hours it was waiting, but wouldn't have thought it would use battery sitting in T1. Unless I'm missing something
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrating Garmin in T1 [tranq19] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tranq19 wrote:
Not sure what happened, but I calibrated my 810 w auto power off switched off before swim at Florida 70.3. Calibrated fine then, but started the bike and no power or hr. I assume my battery was low and died in the 2 hours it was waiting, but wouldn't have thought it would use battery sitting in T1. Unless I'm missing something

Generally speaking if the battery was at full power going into the swim, and even if you had full backlight on (which draws the most power), you would have still gotten at least 5-7 hours.

As a general tip to others, while you can leave the Edge unit on in T1, as log as you turn it on and left it find satellites for a bit prior to the swim, and then turn it off - it'll almost always find satellites within a few seconds since it hasn't moved. So when you arrive at your bike post-swim during T1, just turn it on then. By time you put on your helmet and head out, it's usually ready to go by the mount line.

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrating Garmin in T1 [dcrainmaker] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good tip. I was already probably low and almost changed the battery to be safe..oh we'll. in assuming the 810 just doesn't give a low battery warning with my riken?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whatever you do, do not re-pair your power meter with your garmin when you are setting up in the morning. Chances are likely you will pair your garmin without someone else's pm rendering your pm useless once you get on the bike. Make sure your pm and garmin are paired before the race.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done this a few different ways but this is what I do now.

Start Garmin 500 before swim, spin cranks/wheels to wake up power meter. Make sure the PM is reading on the 500.

Make sure auto pause and auto shutdown are off.

Come out of the water, grab bike, the power meter wakes up and is read by the 500. I push the start button while running through transition.

Another way I've done it was to start the 500, let is sync with the satellites, sync with the PM to make sure everything is working and then shut down the 500. When I come out of the water and grab my bike I turn on the 500, it syncs fast and finds the PM by the time I've run through transition and then after I jump on the bike I start the 500. If it hasn't found the satellites by the time I hit the start button it will still record speed, distance, power, cadence and HR.

Another way I've done it is to use my 310, I just set it up in multisport mode and hit the lap buttons while going through transition. Strangely enough it will find and record your PM while in T1 mode so if you forget to hit the lap button on the way out of transition it will still record your data. If you have a quick disconnect you can put it on your bars after you are on your bike and riding away.

Still another way I've done it was to use a Joule and just push the main button and it does everything automatically. I have the non-GPS version.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrating Garmin in T1 [jaretj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just bought a 500 and am impressed at how fast it synchs to devices. I'd do as others said. Leave it powered on with Auto-off disabled, then just hit the start button. If you rely on autopause, sometimes if the GPS gets wonky it might sit there and start & stop on it's own, throwing off your data. I use an ant+ cadence/speed sensor as well so I'm not too concerned if I don't have GPS right away. I did the same when I used my Garmin 405 a few times a couple years ago without issue.

Sidenote, I really wanted to like the Timex Cycle trainer, but there's no comparison to the Edge 500. Worth an extra $60-80 for sure. The Timex is just missing too many features and having 10s averaging is awesome! I can't believe I was trying to pace by essentially averaging 1s data in my head while I road. it didn't work. I was usually riding at a lower power level than I thought I was. I won't go into some of the other problems I was having... but I was ready to smash it with a hammer a couple times. I can even do a zero calibration of my Stages power meter without a i-phone.... although after 4 months I've still never seen the value change.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrating Garmin in T1 [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My head units, never garmins, you enter the ID number of your power meter once when you first set it up, and then it always connects to that ID number for the rest of time. Is that not how garmins work?

stevej wrote:
Whatever you do, do not re-pair your power meter with your garmin when you are setting up in the morning. Chances are likely you will pair your garmin without someone else's pm rendering your pm useless once you get on the bike. Make sure your pm and garmin are paired before the race.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrating Garmin in T1 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
My head units, never garmins, you enter the ID number of your power meter once when you first set it up, and then it always connects to that ID number for the rest of time. Is that not how garmins work?

stevej wrote:

You can do that with Garmins as well. That's what I do.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrating Garmin in T1 [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:

stevej wrote:

While I have never entered a number directly I know it can be done.

I've used the 500 to find the PM, do the zero and then shut it down. When you start it back up again that particular bike selection will always go to that PM and no other. There are 3 bike selections to choose from.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is helpful
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrating Garmin in T1 [winchester] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great stuff, thanks everyone!

Just gave it a test run, worked like a charm.

Chris

Chasing The Big Race In The Sky
@C_Bright_Run
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What about rezeroing in T1? It more than likely has warmed up , wouldn't the zero have changed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know if you can pair your garmin 910xt and your gamin 800 with your PM at the same time? I figure I will have the watch on all day to record the swim and the run, but it is way easier to see the data on the 800. Can a PM send the data to two devices at once?

"Wait.....and Hope" -Edmond Dantes
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrating Garmin in T1 [BambooKing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have done my 910 and 510 at the same time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BambooKing wrote:
Does anyone know if you can pair your garmin 910xt and your gamin 800 with your PM at the same time? I figure I will have the watch on all day to record the swim and the run, but it is way easier to see the data on the 800. Can a PM send the data to two devices at once?

Yep. Not a problem. Works well.

------------------------
Loud pawls save lives
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A lot of good information here. Quarq has a really nice write up on their website about how to set up a Garmin for race day. Scroll down about half way to the section: USING GARMIN HEAD UNITS FOR TRIATHLON.
http://www.quarq.com/pages/getting-started/setup

Last edited by: waitebe: Apr 17, 14 19:29
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BambooKing wrote:
Yes. The PM broadcasts out it's data to any device listening. It does not receive data from any device.

/Howie Nordström
Quote Reply
Re: Calibrating Garmin in T1 [triitagain] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is no need to rezero in T1. If you coast for 5 seconds most PM's will rezero themselves.

jaretj
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jaretj wrote:
There is no need to rezero in T1. If you coast for 5 seconds most PM's will rezero themselves.

jaretj

If its a Quarq - just backpedal 5 times at a convenient point once you get rolling. The auto-zero that does isnt *as* accurate as a full manual zero, but its close enough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Like others have said yes you can. Mine is a 500 I have auto pause and auto off selected myself. I set the auto pause on the selection of pause on at 2 mph so it doesn't go on and off on its own like someone said. If you push start and let auto pause stop it then auto off will not turn it off unless you push the stop button. I do that because I alwys seem to forget to push start.
Build a bike in computer and then find your pm and other stuff. Once it does it will only look for those.
Quote Reply