Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Snot
Quote | Reply
So, the last few runs outside it has been cool and I find that my snot seems to be much thicker than normal. I have a mustache and it gets soaked pretty quickly. Farmer's blows don't fully get rid of it so I attempt to wipe off the snot with the palm of my hand, I need to use both hands as there is such a copious amount of it. But, what do I now do with 2 handfuls of snot? I've been wiping it off on a running vest but it can only handle so much.

I don't carry tissues and I can tell you that about the only thing that would work would be super absorbent Bounty paper towels or the like.

My nose is getting chapped!

If I drank more would my snot be runnier and easier to blow out?

When I'm indoors on the bike or treadmill I don't produce nearly as much (warmer temps I expect).

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Snot [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You need to become ABDon. Dry as a popcorn fart = dust rockets, or cold enough to freeze the nuts off a steel bridge = snotsicles (which easily snap off). Cheaper taxes too, so you can cultivate a bigger 'stache, like Lanny.

DM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BCDon wrote:
But, what do I now do with 2 handfuls of snot?
EAT IT, of course!! -- http://www.huffingtonpost.com/...ealth_b_3327755.html
Quote Reply
Re: Snot [djmercer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
djmercer wrote:
You need to become ABDon. Dry as a popcorn fart = dust rockets, or cold enough to freeze the nuts off a steel bridge = snotsicles (which easily snap off). Cheaper taxes too, so you can cultivate a bigger 'stache, like Lanny.

DM

I live in Calgary already. Was out running the last 2 noon hours when the snot was steady. In winter it freezes so not too bad but you have to be real careful in breaking off snotsicles because beard and mustache stick to them. Too much snot in winter has the additional issue of you not being able to open your mouth. The snotcicles freeze around it. So I'm fine at 10 or 20 below but this weather that is just a bit above freezing is where I produce a lot and it is thick.

Hmmmm, handlebar stash. I like the sound of that.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Snot - great topic.

Might have to trial and error a little bit. Increased mucous production is likely due to a combination of increased blood flow and increased mucous production in cold temperatures, both with the purpose of keeping the nasal mucosa moisturized to perform the process of humidification.

Ipratroprium bromide nasal spray helps somewhat to curb vasomotor rhinits (drainage due to increased blood flow mediated by cholinergic nerve fibers).

Guaifenesin nasal spray (a mucolytic) with moisturizer may help with the thickened mucous.

Depending on where you are (I assume British Columbia), they are probably both available over the counter. In the US, the former is an Rx.

Try an experiment with either/both and record the temp outside, we can get some N =1 data.

RG
Quote Reply