Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: How strict is USAT with age for kids? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
However they added that she could not use training wheels. I could swear when I saw this event last year that some kids used training wheels.

My kids have been racing triathlons for three years and I have found that almost all of the rules are ignored.

Last year, I asked a race director if they would be enforcing the rule about having to cover your torso with a shirt or some other clothing. He said that they would.

At least four boys did the entire race in jammers only.

I showed my video to the race director after the finish and he refused to comment or do anything about it.

The reality is that in our daily lives we all make decisions about which 'rules' to follow. So teach them that. Don't teach them to be a hypocrit. Do you ever drive over the speed limit? Do you ever take a video of others doing it to a police officer and ask them to do something about it? Are you that guy who gets in the left lane ... drives the speed limit right next to another vehicle doing the same ... and blocks up traffic? Are you the guy who decides that if the police aren't going to adequately enforce the rules then you will?

I speed. I do jaywalk. I do many things that violate rules, especially minor ones. Sometimes out of ignorance of the rule, sometimes out of unawareness of the rule, sometimes out of simple non-compliance. What I don't do it complain if I am penalized for it. What I also don't do it complain when someone else violates a minor rule.

Wearing a shirt ... not wearing a shirt. That didn't change the outcome. And it didn't make it more dangerous for others. Training wheels. Yeah, that falls into the category of potentially causing a problem for others. Complaining to the RD about other children not wearing a shirt ... you should think about 'why' you did that. But the most telling aspect is that you have now come onto ST and complained about it ... which indicates you are still bothered and upset ... when you never should have been.
Last edited by: CPA_PFS: Apr 16, 14 7:11
Quote Reply
Re: How strict is USAT with age for kids? [CPA_PFS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
CPA_PFS wrote:
The reality is that in our daily lives we all make decisions about which 'rules' to follow. So teach them that. Don't teach them to be a hypocrit. Do you ever drive over the speed limit? Do you ever take a video of others doing it to a police officer and ask them to do something about it? Are you that guy who gets in the left lane ... drives the speed limit right next to another vehicle doing the same ... and blocks up traffic? Are you the guy who decides that if the police aren't going to adequately enforce the rules then you will?

I speed. I do jaywalk. I do many things that violate rules, especially minor ones. Sometimes out of ignorance of the rule, sometimes out of unawareness of the rule, sometimes out of simple non-compliance. What I don't do it complain if I am penalized for it. What I also don't do it complain when someone else violates a minor rule.
Well said, I agree 100%
Quote Reply
Re: How strict is USAT with age for kids? [TunaBoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TunaBoo wrote:
soobrex1 wrote:
I don't understand your need to go after jimatbeyond. He specifically asked the RD a question and the answer he got pretty much seemed to be a lie as the RD did not bother to enforce a rule he said he would.

Two things:
1) This is a problem with the RD. I would not pay for another race put on by this RD.
2) Kids' triathlons are not likely enforced to the same extent as ours. This is a problem with the class of racing in and of itself. They'd rather have more kids racing than getting nit-picked so there's no need (in their mind) to enforce it. This will be defended under the guise of kids just out there to have fun.

Jimatbeyond is a good dad in this situation. He is trying to help his kids with every advantage possible within the rules. Therefore, he requested if a rule was going to be enforced knowing that if it were not to be enforced, it would save his kids race time. He was told that it was, therefore his kids followed the rules and lost race time where other kids did not follow the rule (i.e. they cheated) and were not penalized.

*rolleyes* at the people hating on this guy for being a good dad and trying to help his kids have their best race while following the rules.

He's not helping his kids. He's trying to get someone elses kid tossed out with a video. If he did that to my kid I would punch his nose.

And you'd get a night in jail to cool off and think about teaching your kids to respond with violence when they're caught breaking the rules.

With all the bitching about drafting in triathlon not being enforced, and inadequate doping controls, I'm surprised at the reaction here.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Re: How strict is USAT with age for kids? [Toby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This thread is gold.

My kid just did his first race this weekend...a thousand kids at the Atlanta Ironkids tri!...

He had a great time...maybe top 15 in his group...tons of fun...On the drive home, he says "Dad, there was this mom on the run course screaming at her son that she'd buy him a WiiU if he caught 5 more kids.......I caught like 20 kids, including him....sooooo, whaddaya say?"

"Nice try." I said...

No lie, some of the parents at these things are fully nuts...every over bearing stereotype imaginable...
Quote Reply
Re: How strict is USAT with age for kids? [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BDoughtie wrote:
Funny story about a parent being "that guy". 2 years ago in Des Moines (national level junior elite race), one of the junior girls was on the run, kinda falling back. It was hot, she was struggling, so her dad comes running along with her. She tells him to stop, cus it's not allowed, and he keeps going. The poor kid STOPS, tells him to stop running with her and then continues on.

There was a girl in HS who had a dad like that. He was so toxic and overbearing to EVERYBODY that the coach told him not to come to meets. He blustered about, saying that as long as his daughter was on the team, he was coming to meets, and he'd cheer people as he saw fit. And the coach sure as hell wasn't kicking his college scholarship bound, #1 fastest girl off the team, right? This is about the point when the rest of the team starts snickering with excitement(the girl in question included).

Except Coach was perfectly willing to do so, and did. Coach DQ'ed her from that very race even. Whoops, Dad! Shouldn't have called that bluff.

Despite being a very good coach(and adored by his runners), Coach was shangai'ed into the job, didn't want it, and wasn't at all invested in how fast we were or how the teams placed(this is what you should do today, if you want to get faster...but if you don't, that's fine too. I'll live, and so will you.). So yeah, he'd kick people off no matter how fast they were.

So Monday morning rolls around, the girl&her mom shows up to practice(with blueberry muffins for everybody; the mom was wonderful), and Coach cheerfully welcomes them back-contingent on her dad never showing up at a meet again.

The dad was eventually allowed back at meets. On parole. Halfway through the next season. The team Mom wrote him some notecards with encouraging phrases, and he was only allowed to go off the notecards at the mile markers. And he had to cheer everybody with the stock phrases, he couldn't ignore his daughter's teammates like he had been.
Quote Reply
Re: How strict is USAT with age for kids? [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My funny story: A year ago my daughter is doing a small local kids tri. The run is 6 laps around a soccer field. My daughter is chugging along at 11 mins/mile - slow but consistent. A boy who started out faster is slowing down and my daughter passes him. The boy's father starts screaming at him, "Come on! Run Faster. Look. Even that girl is passing you!" The boy has enough of this. "No! I'm not running anymore," he yells. He stops and starts walking." If you want it so bad, you run it," he yelled.
Quote Reply
Re: How strict is USAT with age for kids? [Elvis Runner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Elvis Runner wrote:
My funny story: A year ago my daughter is doing a small local kids tri. The run is 6 laps around a soccer field. My daughter is chugging along at 11 mins/mile - slow but consistent. A boy who started out faster is slowing down and my daughter passes him. The boy's father starts screaming at him, "Come on! Run Faster. Look. Even that girl is passing you!" The boy has enough of this. "No! I'm not running anymore," he yells. He stops and starts walking." If you want it so bad, you run it," he yelled.

Thats great.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: How strict is USAT with age for kids? [JSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JSully wrote:
BDoughtie wrote:
Funny story about a parent being "that guy". 2 years ago in Des Moines (national level junior elite race), one of the junior girls was on the run, kinda falling back. It was hot, she was struggling, so her dad comes running along with her. She tells him to stop, cus it's not allowed, and he keeps going. The poor kid STOPS, tells him to stop running with her and then continues on.

There was a girl in HS who had a dad like that. He was so toxic and overbearing to EVERYBODY that the coach told him not to come to meets. He blustered about, saying that as long as his daughter was on the team, he was coming to meets, and he'd cheer people as he saw fit. And the coach sure as hell wasn't kicking his college scholarship bound, #1 fastest girl off the team, right? This is about the point when the rest of the team starts snickering with excitement(the girl in question included).

Except Coach was perfectly willing to do so, and did. Coach DQ'ed her from that very race even. Whoops, Dad! Shouldn't have called that bluff.

Despite being a very good coach(and adored by his runners), Coach was shangai'ed into the job, didn't want it, and wasn't at all invested in how fast we were or how the teams placed(this is what you should do today, if you want to get faster...but if you don't, that's fine too. I'll live, and so will you.). So yeah, he'd kick people off no matter how fast they were.

So Monday morning rolls around, the girl&her mom shows up to practice(with blueberry muffins for everybody; the mom was wonderful), and Coach cheerfully welcomes them back-contingent on her dad never showing up at a meet again.

The dad was eventually allowed back at meets. On parole. Halfway through the next season. The team Mom wrote him some notecards with encouraging phrases, and he was only allowed to go off the notecards at the mile markers. And he had to cheer everybody with the stock phrases, he couldn't ignore his daughter's teammates like he had been.

Love it!

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: How strict is USAT with age for kids? [jager66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jager66 wrote:
This thread is gold.

My kid just did his first race this weekend...a thousand kids at the Atlanta Ironkids tri!...

He had a great time...maybe top 15 in his group...tons of fun...On the drive home, he says "Dad, there was this mom on the run course screaming at her son that she'd buy him a WiiU if he caught 5 more kids.......I caught like 20 kids, including him....sooooo, whaddaya say?"

"Nice try." I said...

No lie, some of the parents at these things are fully nuts...every over bearing stereotype imaginable...

He deserves at least a Nintendo 3DS for imagination there.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply

Prev Next