Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Isn't that the truth? I started shivering in the legs about the time we got to the #5 buoy and shivered the rest of the swim. Waited in the changing tent for some help because I couldn't feet my feet or hands. Didn't feel my feet until halfway up Brockway the first time. Never did get comfortable. Longest IM (both time and mentally) I've done, by far. Tough gettin old....
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kscycler wrote:
Isn't that the truth? I started shivering in the legs about the time we got to the #5 buoy and shivered the rest of the swim. Waited in the changing tent for some help because I couldn't feet my feet or hands. Didn't feel my feet until halfway up Brockway the first time. Never did get comfortable. Longest IM (both time and mentally) I've done, by far. Tough gettin old....

Just out of curiosity, what did you wear on the bike?

Thanks.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like a lot of folks, we invaded the thrift store and bought all the gear we could find. I found a windbreaker that I used, so I had on my tri top and bottom, arm warmers, and the windbreaker. I bought some brown cotton gloves to go over my bike gloves. No shoe covers or leg covers, and it was numbing to say the least. I didn't buy any pictures because it looked more like a winter ride than an IM.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [thebigb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thebigb wrote:
Glowsticks, seriously?

How easy would it be for somebody in the dark to trip and tumble off the side of the road a few feet & lay there without ever being seen by fellow runners who are deep inside their own heads during the marathon?

Yes, seriously. Glowsticks.

Later!

Brian

Swim. Bike. Run. Repeat as necessary.
Welcome to the Church of Briantriology!
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Bryan0721] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am looking at signing up for this race but live in flat texas. I ride my computrainer 3 days during the week and then my long ride outside. Should I be good as long as I do lots of hill workouts on my computrainer?
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [runobx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
runobx wrote:
I am looking at signing up for this race but live in flat texas. I ride my computrainer 3 days during the week and then my long ride outside. Should I be good as long as I do lots of hill workouts on my computrainer?

Don't forget to tape your nose closed to simulate the effects of the altitude.
/

Gary Mc
Did I mention I did Kona
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Kscycler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not calling you specifically, but my question is:
Why were people not better prepared for a cold bike ride? The weather report and race director said expect AM temps in the 30's. AM Temps were chilly all week. I arrived on 2 fridays before the race and rode the coarse the next day and it was freaking cold in the morning.
The race is at 6500 feet and you get out of the water between 8 and 9 am. In the mountains 8 and 9am is ALWAYS chilly (High 30 to high 40s). I was in Tahoe 2x before IMLT, Sept 2012 and July 2013. Every morning rides always consisted of booties, a strong base layer with windstop, arm warmers, etc. Yes by noon it was warm in Truckee. But good cycling clothing layers up.

I know the weather changed a bit while we were up there, and non of us expected snow the night before. But all of the cycling shops had Fleece arm and leg warmers, booties, Real Cycling Gloves, Jackets, Hats etc. There was ZERO reason for anyone to have been cold on the bike unless either A) they were trying to win B) had already maxed the cc out getting to IM Tahoe or too cheap to make smart decisions. For the amount of money spent to get there a few more dollars on good clothing would have made the experience much better. Yes I was slow that day, but I was comfortable to warm on the bike and run (Not putting Gloves in Special needs were my only clothing mistake)until about 10 min after the race ended.

Ok back to the bike course conversation.

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Shane_W] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shane_W wrote:
thebigb wrote:
Glowsticks, seriously?

They run with glowsticks in Kona..................in fact they do it in Louisville too. Cant speak for others since I cant recall what they did in Canada and havent seen any other full IM races.

Yep, they were available in Whistler as well.

/Howie Nordström
Last edited by: lllusion: Apr 17, 14 15:10
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [Longboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Longboarder wrote:
Oh, and turn up the thermostat on the lake, will ya? My feet are still cold and my ears are red. Say, 70 degrees or so, yeah, that's the ticket....
-----------
Funny but truth be told the swim was the warmest I was all day. For wetsuit swims I prefer water temps in the mid 60's.

Same here. Swim wasn't cold at all by my standards. I was well-clothed for the bike and underclothed for the run, but got through it. I was given an LED headlamp at an aid station late in the run. It was "mandatory" and it was DARK on that run course!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [gymrat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was kicking myself for adding on a wind jacket that was basically a sail and not having more aero warm gear. Here's what I planned to (and did) wear:

Toe covers, regular bib shorts, jersey, vest, arm warmers, full gloves.

Wore warmer windproof gloves and wind jacket on the first loop and dropped them off for loop 2. Took a long-ass time to change in T1 and cost myself minutes with the parachute. But I feel like wearing the right clothes made my day a lot better.

Climbing on the first loop:

This is the photo that KILLS me (parachute jacket in full effect). Should have shaved the legs too!

/kj

http://kjmcawesome.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [SCdave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SCdave wrote:
I saw this too and I'm glad they are addressing the T1 shit show. However the bike course change bugs me, it was an awesome course and not riding that section didn't change anything for me. Either you climb like hell in training or you're screwed. I didn't see not being able to train on that section of the course an issue, plus looking at those Million dollar "cabins" was a nice distraction. The lights on the run might be welcomed, for me I like the dark so people couldn't see me in pain as much. But either way I'm glad the are taking the comments seriously!

agreed..............T1 was a nightmare.
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hairy legs a fraction of a degree warmer than shaved (PINK)

2017 Cervelo P2
2017 Cervelo S2
itraininla.com
#itraininla
Quote Reply
Re: Ironman Lake Tahoe Changes [TriBodyboarder] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriBodyboarder wrote:
Longboarder wrote:
Oh, and turn up the thermostat on the lake, will ya? My feet are still cold and my ears are red. Say, 70 degrees or so, yeah, that's the ticket....
-----------
Funny but truth be told the swim was the warmest I was all day. For wetsuit swims I prefer water temps in the mid 60's.

Same here. Swim wasn't cold at all by my standards. I was well-clothed for the bike and underclothed for the run, but got through it. I was given an LED headlamp at an aid station late in the run. It was "mandatory" and it was DARK on that run course!

X3. I was pulled off the bike course (DQ'd) for the time I spent shivering and trying to vie for changing space in what another poster aptly called the "T1 shit show".

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply

Prev Next