Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations - UPDATE
Quote | Reply
There is a Great Dane and Pit Bull that chases me on the bike. I'm small, I ride a 48cm bike with 650c's and the Great Dane reaches my waist, it scares the dog poo out of me! So, I need recommendations for pepper spray or something that will help! Thanks in advance!!!

---------------------------------------
Check out my blog!

therusticrunner.blogspot.com
Last edited by: summerk: Feb 10, 14 10:15
Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [summerk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't use pepper spray on dogs that probably mean you no harm. Ride faster.

Or use a different route
Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [wingedfoot26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do ride faster, and I would never use it unless they actually tried to bite me. But, I would like to be prepared!

Check out my blog!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Simply pepper spray. In a small canister. I always run/ride with one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wingedfoot26 wrote:

Or use a different route
_______

How would you advise that a large dog chasing you means you no harm???? Pepper spray would seem to be the most reasonable of many options in my opinion and I truly enjoy all dogs who don't chase me .... the best choice would be to spray their irresponsible owners, but that's another issue ;-)

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
summerk wrote:
There is a Great Dane and Pit Bull that chases me on the bike. I'm small, I ride a 48cm bike with 650c's and the Great Dane reaches my waist, it scares the dog poo out of me! So, I need recommendations for pepper spray or something that will help! Thanks in advance!!!

If there is a dog control ordinance where you're riding, call the control people and register a complaint. Keep doing it too until there is some action taken. After years of putting up with folks not controlling their dogs on the routes we ride, we finally got sick of it, made the call and were pleasantly surprised to see some fairly quick action. The invisible fence folks should pay us a commission. Pepper spray can bite you in the butt if the wind is unfavorable or you lose balance and fall while trying to use it.

YMMV,

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Last edited by: sciguy: Jan 22, 14 8:03
Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dcsxtri10 wrote:
wingedfoot26 wrote:

Or use a different route

_______

How would you advise that a large dog chasing you means you no harm????

You have played with a dog before haven't you? They tend to do that whole running thing.
Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [dcsxtri10] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Haha, I would love to get a hold of the owners. In both situations (great dane and pit bull) the owners were standing in the yard and they did nothing to stop the dogs! I have thought about contacting my local sheriff's office (it's a very rural area) but I ride alone and the owners will definitely figure out that's it's me making the complaints. I don't want any type of retaliation from the owners.

Check out my blog!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wingedfoot26 wrote:
dcsxtri10 wrote:
wingedfoot26 wrote:

Or use a different route

_______

You have played with a dog before haven't you? They tend to do that whole running thing.

When a dog chases something like a ball, car, bike or whatever it is due to the "chase instinct" being provoked in the dog. The chase instinct in a dog is a predatory behavior in every dogs genes. That doesn't mean the dogs will attack but it does mean that the dogs predatory behavior has been provoked and a chase has ensued.

When my Border Collie chases a Frisbee or ball it is his predatory behavior that I am exploiting. The OP has a valid concern and should take action if required.

To the OP, at most pet stores there are dog specific pepper sprays, Im not sure what the difference is between normal pepper spray and dog specific.

Please try to talk to the dog owners or animal control about the issue before riding past that area again, those dogs may not harm you but they are powerful breeds. Good Luck!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wingedfoot26 wrote:
dcsxtri10 wrote:
wingedfoot26 wrote:

Or use a different route

_______

_____

The ones that bite also tend to do "that whole running thing". Since I can't tell which one will really bite and they won't tell me ahead of time .... I will spray them all. It does work with a minor amount of practice aiming and controlling your bike.
I suspect if they were in the street just for fun I've saved them from being run over anyway since their irresponsible owner doesn't care. Works out well both ways ;-)

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Spraying them in the face with a water bottle will do just fine. No need to take escalate it and take a chance spraying your self (really, you're going to spray a mist at a dog while moving 15+mph and actually hit your target?) And if it's going to chase you and bite you are you are not going to have time to fondle with your spray
Last edited by: npage148: Jan 22, 14 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, I will try this!

Check out my blog!

Quote Reply
Post deleted by summerk [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wingedfoot26 wrote:
dcsxtri10 wrote:
wingedfoot26 wrote:

Or use a different route

_______

Yes, I have played with dogs, in fact I have 3. I understand that they do like to run and chase me. However, if someone were running/walking/biking down my road and I heard my dogs barking and saw them running toward the road I would make an effort to stop them although they have never tried to bit anyone. I do not want to harm any of the dogs but I don't want to get harmed either!

Check out my blog!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been chased by many dogs as I ride. I do carry pepper spray but always try to outride the dog first. Usually works though I did have one smart dog that tried to run out ahead of me and cut me off. I was able to get by and outride him but it still was a close call. I haven't actually tried the pepper spray since I haven't had a dog catch me but I am prepared to do so if one does. This past weekend I came up to a coyote on one of the backroads. I slowed down to see what he would do. He saw me and took off very fast into the hills. I was so glad I didn't have to test out my pepper spray on him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think pepper spray is such a hot idea.

1) It's pretty shitty to spray a dog with pepper spray and I'm not real keen on that.
2) I realize you need to protect yourself and in the event of a dog biting your balls off or the dog getting pepper spray in the face - I'd choose pepper spray in the dog's face 100% of the time. With that said though, if the dog is big enough to be a threat - pepper spray might not do you too much good. I really wouldn't rely on that and don't think it's a good "self defense" tool if you were really put in a position where you could get hurt.
3) Getting in touch with the city is the best route. Just tell them you've been chased by the dog every time you go by there and that you're fearful for your well being. Call them and report it on a daily basis (even if you don't ride) and it'll get handled eventually.

If the dogs are wild - treats work well too. I actually made a really good running buddy (turns out the dog lives down the street and jumps/climbs over their fence). It chased me once and scared the shit out of me and I brought a couple dog treats on my next run (thinking I'd toss them away and he'd go after the treats and forget about me). It worked well but then he started to get out just to get treats and would just jog beside me. Owner eventually put it in an outdoor kennel and I still swing by and drop some treats off to him.

Now - I'm not saying that will work with you - I'm just saying there are other options than REALLY pissing a dog off by going all "BEAR MACE IN YOUR FACE BITCH" on them. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [noxious] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During the bike leg of a half iron last summer I was chased by 2 rottweilers along a rural stretch. A very firm "No!" stopped them in their tracks (fortunately, although I knew they couldn't keep up with a tri bike) and they didn't seem to chase anyone after that either. It's simply an instinct for most dogs and the behavior can usually be interrupted by not acting as prey - easier said than done sometimes but confidence counts. (This is also why children are much more likely to be bitten than an adult).

I personally wouldn't pepper spray a dog, especially preemptively (the owner, on the other hand...) but I do see why you might consider it.

Kiwami NA Racing Team
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Call Animal control. It's the dogs instinct to chase, they should be in a well fenced backyard.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
summerk wrote:
Haha, I would love to get a hold of the owners. In both situations (great dane and pit bull) the owners were standing in the yard and they did nothing to stop the dogs! I have thought about contacting my local sheriff's office (it's a very rural area) but I ride alone and the owners will definitely figure out that's it's me making the complaints. I don't want any type of retaliation from the owners.

Yeah, they seem like reasonable people and probably won't retaliate when you spray their dogs with pepper spray
Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [shaggyrider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The only time I encountered a dog chasing me on the bike, I yelled a very deep and forceful "go home!" and the dog immediately stopped, turned around and headed back to it's home.
Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [get2T2] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
get2T2 wrote:
summerk wrote:

Yeah, they seem like reasonable people and probably won't retaliate when you spray their dogs with pepper spray

True, I think contacting the sheriff's office is the best bet at this point.

Check out my blog!

Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
summerk wrote:

If there is a dog control ordinance where you're riding, call the control people and register a complaint. Keep doing it too until there is some action taken. After years of putting up with folks not controlling their dogs on the routes we ride, we finally got sick of it, made the call and were pleasantly surprised to see some fairly quick action. The invisible fence folks should pay us a commission. Pepper spray can bite you in the butt if the wind is unfavorable or you lose balance and fall while trying to use it.
YMMV, Hugh

^^^^^ This is the best advice.

I moved from the city to the country a few years ago and love it but dealing with rural dogs has become one of the few negatives. Even the rural townships and counties have dog laws that require all (or at least mid sized+) dogs to be restrained when off properties. When a dog chases me off their property I remember the location and call the cops. I tell them about the incident and that I wanted to ride with my kids on that road next weekend.

Pepper Spray on a bike is not a good idea. Its easy to have it blow back on you, you can lose control as you fumble with the spray, things happen too fast on a bike. I do sometimes carry spray while on a long country run.

Remember - It's important to be comfortable in your own skin... because it turns out society frowns on wearing other people's
Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [determination] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've yelled a foreful "sit!" at dogs sometimes.
They will give a confused look, as if they're having an internal conflict, and that pause has diffused the chase.

None have actually sat though, admittedly.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Nobody's constipated on race morning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would get one of the small key chain versions so it isn't a big deal to carry. I sometimes carry one but using it would be a last resort against 4 or 2 legged critters. I'm skeptical of being able to hit a dog's nose with it from a moving bike. I would probably dismount to use it if a bite seemed imminent.
Quote Reply
Re: Pepper spray for dogs, any recommendations [Rambler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just an idea for the non-pepper spray crowd, I wonder if you brought along an object such as tennis ball or something and dropped it in the road if that would distract the dog long enough to escape. Probably a dumb idea...
Quote Reply

Prev Next