Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wahoo Kickr - FTP test? TrainerRoad?
Quote | Reply
Hi Wahoo Experts,
Is there a way that I am missing to perform a solid FTP test on the Kickr? I was initially thinking of using one of the 20 minute TrainerRoad rides with the kickr and the garmin ant+, but not sure if that would work right or not? Anyone have success with this?
Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr - FTP test? TrainerRoad? [tc_tri_texan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your can perform a FTP test by doing either the 8 or 20 minute test workout. Both last an hour. The workout will change the Kickr's mode off the Erg setting during the 8 or 20 minute portion of the hour test ride and will remember just that power output to figure your FTP.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr - FTP test? TrainerRoad? [Tri-Mot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Tri-Mot!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr - FTP test? TrainerRoad? [tc_tri_texan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really doesn't matter what method you use. You just need to gather your average power for 20 minutes. The point of an FTP test is to go absolutely as hard as you can for 20 minutes.
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr - FTP test? TrainerRoad? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
did the test in Virtual Training - the standard test was 5 min warmup, followed by 20 min, followed by 5 minutes.

I started of in the small front and small rear for the 5 min and then did the 20 minute in large front and small/medium rear and then back to small front and small rear.

To set the app in zero resistance I opened the wahoo app.

Do you suggest trying the trainerroad app too and doing the longer test? would be results be different as I am looking to primarily use the virtual training app with the Kickr.

(I also connected a HRM and cadence sensor)

thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr - FTP test? TrainerRoad? [tctritexan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FTP is actually a percentage of the power you put out for either 2x8 min all-out efforts or a single 20 min all-out effort. Check out the article below for more info on this. If you already have TR, that'd be the easiest way to go about it as we already have the 8 min and 20 min tests set up as workouts. These include a good warm-up with a couple clearing efforts and then we'll switch the Kickr (on desktop only currently) over to slope mode, so that you can use your gears and cadence to find the exact amount of power you can put out for the test intervals. (note - it's important to make sure you're in an easy gear before the test intervals start so you don't have to push massive watts once the Kickr is moved over to slope mode)

TR then takes your average power from the test intervals, runs it through the formula, and gives you your FTP :)

http://support.trainerroad.com/...nerstone-of-Training

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr - FTP test? TrainerRoad? [Trevor DeRuise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Trevor. can I use the same FTP output figure in the other apps, primarily Virtual Trainer?

Also, I can't find a desktop app. I use a mac and can't find it in the app store and a google search isn't yielding results either.
Last edited by: Peacerocks: Apr 24, 15 21:45
Quote Reply
Re: Wahoo Kickr - FTP test? TrainerRoad? [Peacerocks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Go to trainerroad.com and you can download it from there. You won't be disappointed! Amazing app and training tool.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for other apps, but the FTP you get via TR should be consistent across all platforms as long as you're on your Kickr.

Scroll down to Step 2 here and there is a link to download TR for Mac: https://www.trainerroad.com/getting-started

Professional Mountain Biker and Community Manager at TrainerRoad - Cycling's Most Effective Training Tool
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the link. I downloaded and installed the app for my mac.

WIll pair the kickr and do a soon later today. I cant' find the FTP test on the mac app and neither the slope in the trainer road apps.
(i haven't yet paired to the kickr).

if I do the 20 minute test on the kickr & ipad how do I then run the slope (on mac and kick) and calculate the ftp as am using 2 different workouts.
I'm sorry if I missed something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great! So within the desktop app on your Mac click on the Workouts tab and then search "20." Make sure you don't have any filters selected and the 20 Minute Test should be the first workout to pop up.

I'd recommend just leaving the Kickr in ERG mode and doing the test on your Mac. This way, TR will automatically switch your Kickr over to slope mode once you hit the test interval. Just make sure you're in an easy gear before this happens. Be sure to not go out too hard but leave it all on that interval and when you're finished, TR will provide you your new FTP value.

Feel free to email me directly if you're unsure about anything. There's nothing worse then running into an issue in the middle of an FTP test ;) Trevor@TrainerRoad.com.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HI...

so I did the test and the result was 145.

my coach uses virtual trainer and suggested a one hour / ~10 mile course. I set the threshhold to 145 (in a virtual trianer test it had suggested 154) using the above advice.

Started and within a few minutes it became incredibly hard to use. I went back adjusted it to 145 again to be sure and moved to the gear as in the pics and pretty much stayed that and a few easier ones throughuot the entire workout. Each time the gradient went up I had to go to the biggest setting on the rear gear (sorry for my terminology which may be off).

the only way I manged to get by was reducing the grade adjustment down to 30% of actual and even then it was like the above; I'd make it even lower if I could..

any suggestions? should I change the thrreshold?

FTP results- I have given details on the results from the TrainerRoad and VirtualTrainer results.

I have a subscription to TrainerRoad and can move but my coach has familiarity with VT so would be a litlte more challenging but can do if there's no other solution. also like how it autouploads to training peaks.

Gear Setting at end of today's Virtual Trainer session ("Valloire - Col du Galibier")

TODAY'S SESSION - Virtual Trainer "Valloire - Col du Galibier" pic 1

TODAY'S SESSION - Virtual Trainer "Valloire - Col du Galibier" pic 2

TODAY'S SESSION - Virtual Trainer "Valloire - Col du Galibier" pic 3 showing summary.

TRAINER ROAD FTP TEST (Mac)

VIRTUAL TRAINER FTP TEST

THANKS!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry, I'm very unfamiliar with Virtual Trainer, so I can't offer much assistance here. Do they have a support line you can contact? That'd probably be the best way to go. Wish I had some better input for you!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Peacerocks wrote:
HI...

so I did the test and the result was 145.

my coach uses virtual trainer and suggested a one hour / ~10 mile course. I set the threshhold to 145 (in a virtual trianer test it had suggested 154) using the above advice.

Started and within a few minutes it became incredibly hard to use. I went back adjusted it to 145 again to be sure and moved to the gear as in the pics and pretty much stayed that and a few easier ones throughuot the entire workout. Each time the gradient went up I had to go to the biggest setting on the rear gear (sorry for my terminology which may be off).

the only way I manged to get by was reducing the grade adjustment down to 30% of actual and even then it was like the above; I'd make it even lower if I could..

any suggestions? should I change the thrreshold?

FTP results- I have given details on the results from the TrainerRoad and VirtualTrainer results.

I have a subscription to TrainerRoad and can move but my coach has familiarity with VT so would be a litlte more challenging but can do if there's no other solution. also like how it autouploads to training peaks.

Gear Setting at end of today's Virtual Trainer session ("Valloire - Col du Galibier")

Just going to throw this out there, but "Valloire - Col du Galibier" sounds like a workout involving simulated hills...big hills. Was it "incredibly hard to use" when you were on a hill interval? Sounds like it when you said you had to reduce the actual grade by 30%

Hills are hard yo.
Quote Reply