Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
NBC Ironman Coverage
Quote | Reply
Not bad this year; as always, their production quality is pretty awesome. I damn near lost it twice while they were doing the piece on Chris McDonnell. Can't imagine...

Spot

Quote | Reply
I like it as always.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [spot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I missed the first 30 minutes, what happened to his daughter?
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Loved it. Anyone know how to download this years and past coverage?
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [Jnpinaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Killed in the Sandy Hook shooting.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [Asilverm1970] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Asilverm1970 wrote:
Killed in the Sandy Hook shooting.

Never got too emotional during these broadcasts, this one story is tragic. Maybe because I have kids and cannot even fathom this happening to me and getting my shit together enough to tough it out. I'd find myself at the bottom of a bottle. Kudos to him and his family. I shed a tear and I never do... but being a multiple finisher (albeit only 2!) you go through a roller coaster of emotions during an IM, this broadcast somehow brought them out in me (sappy I know, dont give me shit!) I enjoyed it...

The Rat Snake:
A Tribute Race at Gilbert Lake State Park, Laurens, NY May 16 2015
Follow the Rat Snake on Twitter
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [dforbes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NBC did a fine job. First class broadcast that wasn't just about the race. Very well done!
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [toadbra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, the NBC coverage is always never about just the race... but this one was very very good. Shed a few tears over the Sandy Hook family story; can't imagine the grief and then moving on to prepare for the race. A truly great way to honor his daughter's memory.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I watched also. I have to admit they do a good job of trying to give the viewers an idea of what an undertaking an ironman is. Found myself dismayed for not signing up again this year at IMWI. I told myself that this year was for achieving a sub 5 HIM but the desire to do another ironman is strong and to me, this what this sport is for me. That long haul all out put it on the line endurance event.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As always a great job by NBC. I felt like this year was a better job of pro/non pro air time

Still love the mirinda carfrae/Tim odonnell encounter once she won

I was also amazed at how absolutely stone faced terminatorish Freddy Van Liedre was

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pretty good show this year, but I'm confused about the father-daughter team. How can they bike side by side? Wouldn't that be an obvious bike violation? Was he declared handicap or something that allowed her to race by his side? They both had bibs and would both be declared individual athletes I would think?

Powered By HD Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I enjoyed it a lot more this year compared to last year's coverage - but wow, was I ever a teary-eyed mess with the story about Chris McDonnell.

Darn IM Kona giving me a sudden allergy attack!

Forward is a pace!
I get to represent Betty Designs for the 2014 season
http://www.bettydesigns.com/
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [blueyedbikergrl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
the 4 minute littering penalty was new to me. anyone else?
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [Jnpinaz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
His daughter was one of those killed in the Sandy Houck shootings in December,2012....
Now, to the coverage.... sigh..... okay, I guess.... little was 'wrong' with it; a few facts questionable (Van Lierde the fastest runner in the bunch? not so sure about that...). Bottom line is, once again, if you watched it all day on-line, as I did, NBC has an amazing ability to totally miss so many of the key moments of the race, so much of the drama, so many of the lead changes. Bottom line: the NBC coverage missed catching the drama of the actual event. Besides which, while they're at it, they made a point of sticking in the knife and twisting it on all serious age groupers... Hines Ward didn't even start training until March? This is ludicrous. What a slap to the dedicated athletes who have been at it for years.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:
Not bad this year; as always, their production quality is pretty awesome. I damn near lost it twice while they were doing the piece on Chris McDonnell. Can't imagine...

Spot

Having lost Katy's Allie in September, I did lose it. Really glad they covered his story.

I raced many of the same races as Harriet Anderson in NorCal and she is one studette woman. And the woman who crossed at 17:45. My god - to have raced able bodied multiple times, then hit by a car and to come back and finish after losing a leg - very inspiring.

And Rinny is just amazing.

Very good show this year.

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
spot wrote:

Spot

I thought it was awesome! Hines Ward seem really moved at the finish! Next year, I hear, David Beckam will be racing! Loved seeing the 77 year old woman cross the finish- INCREDIBLE!

D

Team Every Man Jack

http://www.teamemj.com
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [COIronDad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hines Ward didn't even start training until March? This is ludicrous. What a slap to the dedicated athletes who have been at it for years.....

No, it isn't. And he's been an athlete for many years, the best in his sport.

I really enjoyed this year. I think they did a good job balancing the Pro, AG and celebrity stories.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Jen

"In order to keep a true perspective on one's importance, everyone should have a dog that worships him and a cat that will ignore him." - Dereke Bruce
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree. They did a great job this year.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [ironclm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ironclm wrote:
spot wrote:

Spot

Having lost Katy's Allie in September, I did lose it. Really glad they covered his story.

I raced many of the same races as Harriet Anderson in NorCal and she is one studette woman. And the woman who crossed at 17:45. My god - to have raced able bodied multiple times, then hit by a car and to come back and finish after losing a leg - very inspiring.

And Rinny is just amazing.

Very good show this year.

I was totally inspired watching the coverage...loved every moment of it. No wonder the guy who produces it ended up in the Ironman Hall of Fame...a very worthy induction. Harriet Anderson was amazing....crashing and getting up at age 78 and getting it done. Chris McDonald.....I don't even know where to start. And Hines Ward was terrific.

As for the pro race, very well covered in the time frame available. I thought there could have been a bit more coverage of the pro women. It would be interesting to one day have the coverage featuring the pro women first and then the pro men. We all know that the pro men finish first, but perhaps doing things like featuring the women's race might do more to inspire young teenage girls to take up our sport by showcasing "their race". (I say this having just coached a group of 18 teenagers just before the showing of which only 3 were girls...the rest boys...lots of girls dropping out of sport in teenage years).....just my 2 cents.

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very well done. Enjoyed it from start to finish!
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [bluepoint] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I forgot to record it! Does anyone know a replay time? I can not seem to find anything yet. I think they usually put it on CNBC, or something.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I laughed, I cried, I was inspired
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [dmounts] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought they did a great job covering it. I don't think Hines ward or the chef should be there. They should have to qualify, like everyone else.
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [mcnickey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcnickey wrote:
I thought they did a great job covering it. I don't think Hines ward or the chef should be there. They should have to qualify, like everyone else.

You realize that those two bring 50x the number of eyes that any of the pros bring to the sport. No disrespect to the pros, but one of those guys probably has more Twitter followers than the top 10 pros in the sport combined.
Last edited by: PeteDin206: Nov 16, 13 18:27
Quote Reply
Re: NBC Ironman Coverage [mcnickey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mcnickey wrote:

You seriously don't believe everyone else there qualified, do you? Including I believe Mr. McDonnell, looked like a yellow bib (ie media interest)?
Quote Reply

Prev Next