Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post deleted by Tri2Hover
Re: Choosing A Wetsuit - Pros & Cons [mmakbenton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't quite understand why you are ruling out the two piece because you need two.

The DeSoto Black Pearl (my bad...but you caught it) is $ 270, The Qr Ultra Full is $260, The Xterra Ventilator is $295, The Zoot Z2 is $260..therefore the DeSoto First Wave is right in line with these prices.

Just curious especially when you can get a well fitted suit.
Last edited by: The Lemming: Jul 28, 05 20:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The wetsuits you mentioned are all pretty much the same design... so, it will ultimately come down to fit... That's pretty much the determining factor among the choices you listed.

However, if you want to find a real difference in wetsuit designs... I 'd suggest you try the DeSoto 2 piece. That's is a truely significant design difference that may or may not be a better fit. How this fit translates to the swim is very important consideration.

Price is pretty insignificant if the suit doesn't fit well.

Material is very secondary consideration... but, how the material is used in the wetsuit might make a big difference if your an experience triathlete... but, for a first timer... the wetsuit material is just not that important. It's all about FIT - period.

Bottom line, all those you listed are good wetsuits ASSUMING they fit equally... which they won't. I would strongly suggest you place price as a last consideration or you will end up with an expensive or economical wetsuit that doesn't work. An expensive wetsuit that doesn't fit well is as bad as a economical wetsuit that doesn't fit well.

FWIW Joe Moya
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing A Wetsuit - Pros & Cons [The Lemming] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I don't quite understand why you are ruling out the two piece because you need two.

Because I am an idiot. Rechecking my math I learned that $164 + $136 is not $400. Don't ask...and here I thought I did my homework well. Sooo, I guess the T1 is back in there but is still the most expensive of the bunch. Here are figures I have so far:

Ironman Instinct - $252

Orca Speedsuit Full - $250 (unless it is a typo...triplechecked and not the S1)

QR Ultrafull - $260

Xterra Ventilator - $290

Zoot Z2 - $260

T1 Black Pearl - $300

Those numbers all look right to everyone? If nobody has any specific ones that I SHOULD get...which one's would you say NOT to get.

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing A Wetsuit - Pros & Cons [Joe M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very sound advice. With my new found math skills it looks like the T1 might be the way to go since it is the most flexible as far as sizing is concerned. Good advice about price vs. fit also...that extra $50 in my pocket won't make me happy if I can't lift my arms in the air.

Michael

Drafting is for the weak...

Tri2Hover...making flat coke since September 9, 2006.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey Mike, I can't tell you which is the best suit to buy but I can tell you that I had an awesome swim time at IMCDA in my QR superfull. I shaved 4 minutes off my record and felt great in the suit. No chafing and lots of arm movement.

Good luck. Maybe I'll see you in Macon again next year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've swam in xterra vector pro,the sleeveless QR Ultrajohn and the superfull,and the top of the line ironman long sleeved wetsuit (forgot the name) all 2005 models. The superfull is a hands down winner for comfort, shoulder flexibility of the long sleeved models and speed. I'd say it is :30 secs or so faster over 1.5k than the xterra and faster than the ironman suit but not sure how much faster.. I have no hard data other than feel and the clock. I did like the grid patterning on the forearm of the ironman wetsuit the best, but not enough to buy it over the superfull.

Get long sleeves as they make the faster suit.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Jul 28, 05 20:24
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing A Wetsuit - Pros & Cons [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
For me - in the pool - swimming repeat 200's - I found no difference in time (that I could detect) of a De Soto T1 - sleeved top vs. vest. The bibjohn only balloooned and caught water and was only about 5% faster than swimsuit only - the wetsuit/top combo's were 10%. I pick wetsuit style based on water temp.

Dave
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
it depends all on fit. read slowmans review in the product review section. there is no one here that would give you the right info on how your wetsuit will fit on you and your wifes body, my guess is that you both will end up with different preferences and therfore different suits.

with that said I like my QF superfull. break away zipper is quick and gives an extra 2-3 inches so you can get out quick in T1.

go with what you feel the best in. And ask the shop if you can take the suit out for an open swim before purchasing. The feel in the water is completely different than when you try it on in store. any good shop should have demos laying around and if not move to the next shop.

GO4 SMOOOOOOTH AND FAST
Quote Reply
Re: Choosing A Wetsuit - Pros & Cons [fastGopher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
my $.02...

The QR Superfull is hands down the best out there. I agreee it is a bit pricey but I feel that it's worth it for the extra speed, shoulder flexibility, easy of exit, great fit (most important)...

<insert clever motivational thing here>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
19 makes a great wetsuit as well.

Can't blame your wife for not wanting ORCA on her. I don't either :)

Proud member of the Guru Cartel, EH!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Get the cheap T1 bottoms and the nicer T1 top and save a few dollars.