Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carbon Frame Longevity
Quote | Reply
I am wondering how long carbon frames "last," and what signs of age can show in them. I realize that a lot of wear and tear might be invisible to the eye, or may not be an issue at all.

I have one of the original Orbea Orcas, the '05 model. Nice bike, though it never blew me away over aluminum frames that I rode before it. It was one of the super cool models to own at the time, a solid value, and has been an excellent bike to own.

I've had it for eight years, and ridden it mostly on long fitness rides, a few thousand miles per year. I raced it a bit when I was into racing, and have done a few tri's on it too (though it's not tri geometry by any means).

Now I am starting to get the "itch" for a new frame, and I'm wondering: Does carbon "get old"? Would a newer frame, like a Cervelo R3, or Specialized Tarmac be radically different technology-wise? I am also strongly considering a titanium custom frame to "take me into middle age," and I know that those last a long time.

I have nothing against selling off old bikes, but with my Orca, it hasn't been worth doing so. I've kept it due to the nice lifetime warranty, and because I couldn't get enough for it in my mind relative to what it cost (I built it up with a custom Dura Ace package).
Quote Reply
Re: Carbon Frame Longevity [AG Tri Newbie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My first carbon bike was a Kestrel 200 SCi. I got it in the mid-90's. it is almost 20 years old and still rides the same as when I first got it. Most of today's carbon frames have different carbon, different lay ups, and use different resins that those of 20 years ago. Today's frames are lighter and stiffer in the head tube and bottom bracket area. I have bought newer carbon bikes (Cervelo, Trek). I am saving the Kestrel for my oldest son when he is big enough or it.

Habitual line stepper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
There isn't really much rational reason to get a new frame unless a slight aero or weight edge of something fancier would be a big deal to you.

Unless you are one of those people sensitive to stiffness you are unlikely to hop on a newer bike and go "wow!"

You can always test ride bikes and see though!

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Carbon frames generally do not go soft, only real risk is the joins coming apart, but unlikely with a 2005 bike. But if you're itching for a new bike, you don't need an excuse.

Velonews addressed it here
http://velonews.competitor.com/...ixed-shifting_202372
Quote Reply