Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IRONMAN with minimal training & IT Band (iliotibial band syndrome) issues : RACE REPORT
Quote | Reply
First, I wanted to thank the community. I wouldn't of been able to accomplish my goals w/out all the helpful & knowledgable people on this forum. I wanted to make this post for people in similar circumstances to be able to search in the future to reach their goals. The ironman was a "bucket-list" thing... I previously had zero experience in endurance anything and now I love the sport of triathlon!

I did the Ironman (Florida 2012') in 12:18.

Swim - 1:18:54
T1- 14:28
Bike - 6:21:14 (w/ a flat)
T2- 9:19
Run - 4:14:47

Background:

Swim: 16 years of surfing, but didn't learn how to swim until Jan of this year. My shoulder muscle endurance is strong, but when I first started to swim, I would hyper ventilate after 2 of lengths of the pool.

Bike: Before March of this year I had been on a road bike 1 time for a 15 mile ride ( off the couch sprint tri). So I have ZERO bike background of any kind.

Run: I was a average track runner in jr high & high school. (high jump & 400m). During IM training the farthest I had ever ran was 10.5 miles @ an 8:30ish pace. During training I got a mild ITband injury... so in the spirit of not overtraining myself & getting really hurt, I completely stopped running. I didn't run for the majority of my IM training.

Race History:

2x Sprint Triathlons (the 1st one I did, I had to walk the swim)
5k - ran @ 20:00

Very little run base. I have always keep active with surfing & mma. I'm 6'2 and 185lbs w/ about 12-15% body fat. 31 years old

Training: I used the 13 Hour / 13 week training plan.... but started building a 4 hour a week base before that plan started... since about July-ish of this year... (I could look it up if you wanted that info). During this plan I never surpassed the allotted numbers of hours a week. Usually fell short of the weekly hours target by 1 or 2 hours.

Swim Training: Just over 33 hours in swimming total. Never really worked on speed, just worked on building time and distance.
Long swims were - 1:15 twice & 1:30 once. Lots of 45 minute swims. Once I got the breathing down, my surfing background carried me big time!

Bike Training: Just over 1,500 miles total. Started in March of this year, as I stated above. Utilized 4-5 group rides towards the end. The rest of the rides were alone.
Long rides were- 60 miles, 61 miles, 64 miles, 77 miles, 94 miles

Run Training: Only 250 miles total (w/ no base before). Because of MILD ITband injury during the beginning of my IM training all run volume was done on an elliptical machine. There was a couple of times I jumped roped for 10 minutes & I tried deep water running once.
Long runs (before injury) were- 7 miles, 7.3 (treadmill), 8 miles (treadmill), 10.5 miles. All runs at about an 8:30ish pace.

During the Swim:
I lined up wide. I was the farthest one down the beach and went wide on all the turns. I did the swim alone the entire first lap. Never really had anybody within 10 feet of me.

During the Bike:
Got a flat that took about 13-20 mins... other then that pushed at a relaxed pace. I wanted to make sure there was plenty left for the run.

During the Run:
A buddy, who is an accomplished runner recommended run/walking the marathon because I am such a long run beginner. That's exactly what I did! I would swear by this now. First, I power walked the first 3 minutes out of T2 (it's hard to ignore the cheers) to get my heart rate down. Then I did a 4:00/0:30 run/walk spit. 4 minutes @ an 8:30 pace then power walked for 30 seconds. I did that for the entire marathon, but my body started fading for the last 6 miles or so. If is didn't use that ratio, there is no way I would have been able to hold my pace through the entire race. Even running for another minute would of chewed up my leg muscles too much and too early. That ratio worked perfect for me.

Post Ironman - Despite getting a flat tire in the first 15 miles of IMFL the day went really smooth. Never had cramps and nutrition worked well. I have a really high threshold for pain and I'm a very focussed person, so I was able to really power through on that run despite my minimal running background. As of right now I have 3 and a half black toenails and still can barely walk (4 days after race). I wish I could have had some more long runs.

My tips (stolen from this forum)
-Better to be way undertrained then 1 day overtrained
-The race doesn't begin until mile 18 of the run. Bike slow.
-Carbo-pro is awesome

I had such a rewarding day, I'm so happy with how everything turned out. I had a lot of fears and doubts going into the race.
Last edited by: slow123: May 3, 13 16:45
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN with minimal training & IT Band (iliotibial band syndrome) issues [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice! Great job ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN with minimal training & IT Band (iliotibial band syndrome) issues [danoelise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
danoelise wrote:
Nice! Great job ;-)

Based on your other thread... There's a really great pod cast on the Run/Walk spilt during marathon. I'll see if I can't find it. It has a lot of tips (how important good posture & fast leg turnover is when you're walking).
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN with minimal training & IT Band (iliotibial band syndrome) issues : RACE REPORT [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's impressive. It would be cool to go balls out training for the same race next year and see how much of a difference it makes.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN with minimal training & IT Band (iliotibial band syndrome) issues : RACE REPORT [slow123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slow123 wrote:

First. Awesome job. :D

Second. 'splain? was it along a lake shore or pool swim?

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN with minimal training & IT Band (iliotibial band syndrome) issues : RACE REPORT [wildman1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wildman1 wrote:
That's impressive. It would be cool to go balls out training for the same race next year and see how much of a difference it makes.

Maybe in 5 years. We have a baby on the way. I told my wife I would only do small stuff for a bit.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN with minimal training & IT Band (iliotibial band syndrome) issues : RACE REPORT [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
slow123 wrote:

John

I live in Florida. This particular race was in the intercostal waterways. It was only about chest deep through the triangle shaped coarse. I really learned to respect swimming that day, especially open water swims with lots of other people.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slow123 wrote:
Devlin wrote:
slow123 wrote:

John

I live in Florida. This particular race was in the intercostal waterways. It was only about chest deep through the triangle shaped coarse. I really learned to respect swimming that day, especially open water swims with lots of other people.

Motivation Man?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
slow123 wrote:
Maybe in 5 years. We have a baby on the way. I told my wife I would only do small stuff for a bit.

You're about to learn another triathlon truth. I predict you'll be explaining yourself to the wife before 5 years elapses ;)

ETA: Nice job on your first IM... very impressive both in training and execution.
Last edited by: TheRhino: Dec 6, 12 12:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome job--congrats! I'm new here and just signed up for IMFL (first IM distance--I've done 2 HIM)...My swim is lacking, how did you learn proper technique? What training plan did you use? Ironically, my husband and I signed up for first HIM having NO triathlon experience when our son was 2 months old, our little mid-life crisis I think. Good luck with the baby!
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN with minimal training & IT Band (iliotibial band syndrome) issues : RACE REPORT [yatyas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yatyas wrote:
slow123 wrote:
Devlin wrote:
slow123 wrote:

John

Motivation Man?

No, both of the Tri's I did were the Pineapple man in Melbourne Beach.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN with minimal training & IT Band (iliotibial band syndrome) issues : RACE REPORT [TheRhino] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TheRhino wrote:
slow123 wrote:

You're about to learn another triathlon truth. I predict you'll be explaining yourself to the wife before 5 years elapses ;)

ETA: Nice job on your first IM... very impressive both in training and execution.

Lol, I'm sure you're right.... It's already gone from 40ish to 36. Again, I'm 31 now.
Quote Reply
Re: IRONMAN with minimal training & IT Band (iliotibial band syndrome) issues : RACE REPORT [ChristinaA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChristinaA wrote:
Awesome job--congrats! I'm new here and just signed up for IMFL (first IM distance--I've done 2 HIM)...My swim is lacking, how did you learn proper technique? What training plan did you use? Ironically, my husband and I signed up for first HIM having NO triathlon experience when our son was 2 months old, our little mid-life crisis I think. Good luck with the baby!

THanks! I just used a few different youtube videos. Also, this was a helpful link for swim technique for me...

http://www.swimsmooth.com/rotation.html

Even though I stunk at swimming before I started all this... My paddling was really efficient from surfing. I'm pretty good at surfing, so I'm comfortable w/ knowing how my hand should pass through the water. For IMFL I used bilateral breathing, this year I would like to learn to breath on just one side... more air more speed. So I was thinking about getting a lesson.

Also, I couldn't believe the wetsuit I rented (I'm sure all tri wetsuits are). Tri specific wetsuit are way more buoyant then surf wetsuits! I guess tri suits are open cell, which is a different kind of foam from surf suits. Makes a big difference!

This is the swim strategy I used:

http://ironstruck.com/ironman-swim-strategy

I took what was written as gospel... literally if you can find a photo of the swim at this years IronmanFL, I was the farthest down the beach. It was so relaxing and fun!

Also, I just used the 13 hour / 13 week plan. Everytime I went to the pool I just worked on steady distance. No toys, no drills. I would try to get really winded at the end of every set (sets would be 500y, 750y or 1000y). If that makes sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice work, you did much better than the one I did when I was injured.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good job
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job!

At first I was particularly impressed, but in retrospect, I think your results aren't all that surprising, actually.

The reasons being:
1. Good surf background does translate typically into decent swim even with minimal swim training. You swam exactly what I'd expect someone with your background would swim on little swim training.

2. You still trained some solid volume @ 13hrs/week. Add the fact that you could shortchange your swimming time a lot and pour that into the bike, and you'd be set up very well for a solid IM performance, compared to a typical MOP IM athlete who doesn't have your swim background and has to sacrifice 3-4hrs/week just to swim at your moderate level.

3. The running is the main limiter for you but you handled it well by not overextending your pace and incorporating run/walk. I think your result is as good as you could expect with your curtailed run volume, and it's respectable.

Still, great job and good execution for your race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting. As an ironman wannabe with recurring knee issues, a young family and limited training time, this is very encouraging.
Quote Reply