Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Do Flo Discs "Woosh"?
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Do Flo Discs "Woosh"? [Nate Pearson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not really. Covered spoked wheels (what the FLO disc is) just don't rumble the way a "real" disc does. Wind doesn't care though.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Negative
It pops and creaks and rattles.

The noise is mainly just on rough roads. Annoying, but tolerable.

No fancy whooshing though.

@christopher_borden •
Spinning Spoke • Dimond Bikes • Flo Cycling • Castelli Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, you are pimping out your bike for next season! Ultegra Di2 and now disc wheels!

Ill let you know in a couple weeks when I get mine!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No they do not woosh. They are more like a drum and echo any noise. If you have ever flat on them you will know like you have never known before. The rim tape issue got me twice :(.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Flo Discs "Woosh"? [mike@wahoo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hopefully I'll get a shiv and a new quarq too. :)

That's disappointing that they make noise. I have a disc cover now and that's annoying.

That new zipp fc cc is just soooo expensive!

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like business is good! :) Awesome.

If you tape the edge of your disc cover to your wheel with electrical tape it won't make that rattling noise. But...I agree, if you are going to get a disc, you may as well get one that sounds cool and intimidating.

----------------------
TriAnotherDay.com
Quote Reply
Re: Do Flo Discs "Woosh"? [Borden] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I realize that HED Jet Discs are more expensive, but they also don't rattle and creak. I wonder what is so different about the Flo disc that causes this? Have had my Jet Disc for two years and after many races it still rides the same.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Flo Discs "Woosh"? [nightfend] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, YMMV and all, but I haven't had any issues with my Flo disc rattling and/or creaking. What it does is what I would call 'Rolling Thunder' - any little road imperfection gets amplified by the disc into this booming rumble, since the disc faces are basically drumheads. As for why HED wheels would sound/behave differently than the Flo, I believe HED uses much thinner (and lighter) fairings, so that might have something to do with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Flo Discs "Woosh"? [GaryV] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have a question for those who have the Flo disc: My Jet Disc has two thin sheets of foam between the spokes and the carbon fairing. I wonder if maybe the Flo disc does not have these foam sheets, and that amplifies the sound?

In any case, performance wise, I'm sure they are basically the same. I was simply surprised that people were mentioning all these sounds coming from the Flo which uses a design very similar to HED.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope, no sheets of foam, just the fairing. So that could account for the difference.

ETA: Wonder what would happen if you sprayed exapanding foam insulation in there. Could be an expensive experiment, and would probably just work loose eventually...
Last edited by: GaryV: Oct 22, 12 8:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GaryV wrote:
ETA: Wonder what would happen if you sprayed exapanding foam insulation in there. Could be an expensive experiment, and would probably just work loose eventually...

Probably wouldn't be a good idea. For one, the canned foam you get at home depot applies some amazing force as it hardens and expands. So it would probably massively warp your wheel covers (i.e., flo disc).

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Flo 60 and I've used HED jet 90 / disc combo before. The Flo wheel is noticeably louder despite the fact that they follow the same fairing idea. The main difference that I can spot is that the Flo wheel fairing is stiffer / thicker. That likely contributes to the difference in sound.

I feel like I'm 'rumbling' down the road with the Flo!
Quote Reply
Re: Do Flo Discs "Woosh"? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yep, was just doing a little internet reading and came across the part about the expansive forces...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:
I have a question for those who have the Flo disc: My Jet Disc has two thin sheets of foam between the spokes and the carbon fairing. I wonder if maybe the Flo disc does not have these foam sheets, and that amplifies the sound?

In any case, performance wise, I'm sure they are basically the same. I was simply surprised that people were mentioning all these sounds coming from the Flo which uses a design very similar to HED.

I would think a thin sheet of foam like that would make a pretty big difference, I briefly had a Flo disc and the vast majority of the sound seemed to be from the fairing contacting the raw spokes, which is then amplified by the hollow drum-like interior of the disc.

I ended up parting ways with the disc and doing a Flo60 set with a disc cover in the back for racing. Overall very pleased, much more versatile wheelset for me and have been pretty pleased with the performance w/ the AeroJacket in the back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nightfend wrote:

It's funny that you bring that up. The FLO DISC is a little on the noisy side. Some like it, some don't. To limit the number of people who don't, we have worked with our factory over the last couple months to try a few minor modifications to quiet things down a little bit. And... well... thin sheets of foam between the spokes and the carbon fairings was our solution. In all honesty, I've never seen a Hed Jet Disc and I find it interesting that we both came to the same conclusion. There will be no performance changes to the new FLO DISC wheels and the old FLO DISCS are still perfectly functioning wheels. After one last test round (which should be any day now) all new FLO DISCs will come with thin sheets of foam between the spokes and the fairings.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Re: Do Flo Discs "Woosh"? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the other wheels? I'm thinking about getting a pair of 60s and I don't want those to be noisey either.

CEO at TrainerRoad
Co-host of the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nate Pearson wrote:
What about the other wheels? I'm thinking about getting a pair of 60s and I don't want those to be noisey either.

They have a bit of a hollow sound but they are not at all like the disc. You'll be fine with the 60's.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply
Re: Do Flo Discs "Woosh"? [Canadian] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's funny that you bring that up. The FLO DISC is a little on the noisy side. Some like it, some don't. To limit the number of people who don't, we have worked with our factory over the last couple months to try a few minor modifications to quiet things down a little bit. And... well... thin sheets of foam between the spokes and the carbon fairings was our solution. In all honesty, I've never seen a Hed Jet Disc and I find it interesting that we both came to the same conclusion. There will be no performance changes to the new FLO DISC wheels and the old FLO DISCS are still perfectly functioning wheels. After one last test round (which should be any day now) all new FLO DISCs will come with thin sheets of foam between the spokes and the fairings.[/quote]

Chris: What will the weight penalty be like with the foam inside the disc?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GaryV wrote:
As for why HED wheels would sound/behave differently than the Flo, I believe HED uses much thinner (and lighter) fairings, so that might have something to do with it.

Hed spoked wheels are definitely lighter and use thinner fairings than Flo wheels. However, the Hed Jet disk is heavier than the Flo disk in the standard version and only slightly lighter in the more expensive Flamme Rouge version.
Quote Reply
Re: Do Flo Discs "Woosh"? [brynjulf] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brynjulf wrote:
It's funny that you bring that up. The FLO DISC is a little on the noisy side. Some like it, some don't. To limit the number of people who don't, we have worked with our factory over the last couple months to try a few minor modifications to quiet things down a little bit. And... well... thin sheets of foam between the spokes and the carbon fairings was our solution. In all honesty, I've never seen a Hed Jet Disc and I find it interesting that we both came to the same conclusion. There will be no performance changes to the new FLO DISC wheels and the old FLO DISCS are still perfectly functioning wheels. After one last test round (which should be any day now) all new FLO DISCs will come with thin sheets of foam between the spokes and the fairings.

Chris: What will the weight penalty be like with the foam inside the disc?[/quote]
I don't know exact numbers yet but I feel it will be a very minimal difference.

Chris Thornham
Quote Reply