Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Opinions on my current position (pics)
Quote | Reply
G'day.
Just after some feedback. I finally feel like I have arrived at a pretty good position. Feels comfortable and powerful. I would give some consideration to going lower in the front but I would need an aggressive negative stem to do so. The current one is -16.

Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on my current position (pics) [Philosoraptor] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would say your torso angle looks about 90* and you knee angle about 152*.:) What software are you using for the angles.
Your going to have to come forward on the seat if you want to go lower without decreasing your torso/hip angle below 90. Also the
bike looks a little big for you to me, but overall I would say its pretty good.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How come no one that posts a "Hows my fit?" thread seems to own a shirt?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Position looks pretty good, though you probably missed your greater trochanter by a good bit and the center of your BB by a gooder bit. That hip angle, as per FIST protocol is nowhere near 90 degrees. Probably closer to 100, and pretty ideal. You maybe could go lower but might need to come forward, which might not be the best thing for you overall.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on my current position (pics) [redhusky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The program I have used is called Kinovea. It is free and easy to use.
I can come forward a bit. I still have about 15mm or more of usable saddle rails left but I feel like I lose power when I go forward of where I am. I don't have a power meter so I can't be sure. I agree that the bike is probably slightly large. This is due to the odd dimensions of the Shiv. With the stock aero bars I was about 4.5cm higher in the front than I am now. It was bloody awful.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on my current position (pics) [Grande Pelota] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah I have trouble finding the correct points to use, particularly the greater trochanter. I possibly should have marked it with some tape before I got on the bike. I was aiming for the pedal spindle rather than the bottom bracket. If I get a lower stem, I will update the thread. Thanks for your comments.

BTW, does anyone think I am likely to be significantly more aero from lowering the front 10-15mm?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Philosoraptor wrote:

BTW, does anyone think I am likely to be significantly more aero from lowering the front 10-15mm?

According to Damon of Cervelo, 2-3 watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on my current position (pics) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:

Wow. Is that all?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Philosoraptor wrote:
marcag wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:

Wow. Is that all?

Yep

To quote him

"In general though, you're calcs agree with my experience. Based on 14 runs in the wind tunnel where drop was the only position change, I get (drawing through the data points with a BIG crayon!) about 20 g/cm.

Lots of scatter in the data and lots of caveats in the protocol, so I'd say your 1.5 W/cm are roughly "in agreement" for now.
"
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on my current position (pics) [marcag] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
marcag wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:
marcag wrote:
Philosoraptor wrote:

Wow. Is that all?

Yep

To quote him

"In general though, you're calcs agree with my experience. Based on 14 runs in the wind tunnel where drop was the only position change, I get (drawing through the data points with a BIG crayon!) about 20 g/cm.

Lots of scatter in the data and lots of caveats in the protocol, so I'd say your 1.5 W/cm are roughly "in agreement" for now.
"

Thanks for that. Perhaps not worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Philosoraptor wrote:
The program I have used is called Kinovea. It is free and easy to use.
I can come forward a bit. I still have about 15mm or more of usable saddle rails left but I feel like I lose power when I go forward of where I am. I don't have a power meter so I can't be sure. I agree that the bike is probably slightly large. This is due to the odd dimensions of the Shiv. With the stock aero bars I was about 4.5cm higher in the front than I am now. It was bloody awful.

Stay where you are comfortable!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great looking position and if you are feeling powerful and comfortable I'd say ride the stuffins out of it.

Not that you need to, but have you ever fooled around with stacking your elbows underneath you a bit more with a shorter pad reach? I only ask b/c I was nearly a mirror image of you in the upper arm region until recently. Tried a shorter reach and it was astonishing to me the effect it had on my saddle loading and consequently the pedal stroke. HUGE for me. Went from a 110 to an 80. I think you look great, just a though if you ever feel like fooling around with the setup.

Do you happen to know of any freeware Kinovea type programs for Mac? Looks to be a Windows based program only.....
Last edited by: tigerpaws: Oct 3, 12 17:46
Quote Reply
Re: Opinions on my current position (pics) [tigerpaws] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Windows only...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have tried a shorter stem. Current one is the 90 that the bike came with, for a while I was riding a 75. I didn't mind it but it occasionally felt a little cramped, especially when I slid forward a bit on the saddle. I can't adjust pad reach with these bars so if I want to go shorter I need to use a stem.

I have a mac geek friend. I will ask him about software.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok thanks.....and the position looks fantastic. Ride it hard.

Ain Alar Juhanson is for my $ the best looking tt position on the planet. I had stumbled on a pic of him and it dawned on me it might be worth a shot....turns out for me it relieved some upper back/trap issues. And I can see how sliding forward on the saddle might give you some crampy issues. I ride an Adamo and really don't move a mm from my 'locked in' position so once I'm there I ain't movin'.

Last edited by: tigerpaws: Oct 3, 12 18:13
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's a great looking position. Slightly lower than me in the front.

Thanks for your comments.
Quote Reply