Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Can you do 2 70.3's a month apart?
Quote | Reply
Contemplating doing Oceanside 70.3 and long course at wildflower? Anyone done this or something similar?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you do 2 70.3's a month apart? [Lydiavelia] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did 4 in one season, all between 3-5 weeks apart. I was very fit that year. Couldn't do it this year...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lydiavelia wrote:
Contemplating doing Oceanside 70.3 and long course at wildflower? Anyone done this or something similar?

Yes...easily....i am slow too 5:53 Oceanside and 6:37 Wildflower. Wildflower is tough.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you do 2 70.3's a month apart? [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jodi I bet ya could! You're a rock star!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm nervous about doing one this year! This racing season has been less than stellar...

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Lake Stevens, then a local 1/2 two weeks later, and then Vegas two weeks after that. So that was 3 races in the span of 4 weeks. That was a bit much for me. I did well the first 2 races, but by the time Vegas rolled around, I was a bit shot . . . and it showed. 2 races 4 weeks apart would definitely be doable - depending on what kind of shape you're in, and what you're expectations are.

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lydiavelia wrote:

Lydia, it's certainly doable. I've done something similar many times over the yrs, oftentimes w/ better results the 2nd race. It appears they're 5 weeks apart. IMO, perfect spacing. Race, recovery most of next week, hit a good 3 week training block, and then back thing off for your 2nd race. Not saying taper for every race, but you usually will back off or mini-taper for 1/2's.

I will probably be joining you next year for the double. I already signed up for Oceanside. Wildlfower we should have plenty of time to decide and sign up. Was lined up for that this year, but a little trip to the Middle East for work prohibited me from being able to do Oceanside. Still did Wildflower and had a pretty good result.

I will tell you this, they are two very different races. Ocean vs lake. Bike courses are a bit similar in that they both have good hills and both can have good wind. Runs differ significantly. Oceanside is nearly pancake flat and shouldn't be too hot and the marine layer may still hide the sun. Wildflower has some tough hills and can get very hot. You will want to do some good strength training (preferably on the bike and running vs the gym) for Wildflower or it will be a long walk!!!

Quote | Reply
A half is a training day - not much more. You racing or you participating? It is a half - not a big deal. You should be able to do one every weekend.

----------------------------------------------------------

What if the Hokey Pokey is what it is all about?
Quote Reply
Re: Can you do 2 70.3's a month apart? [Record10Carbon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just finished two half's 1 week apart, certainly possible for you. I found fatigue not a problem, but small pains that might cause a problem late in the first race, began about an hour into the second race. More mental than physical after that. Go ahead and do it, you might surprise yourself.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
one year Joe Bonness did IM Hawaii on saturday, did a recovery 10 mile run on sunday, and did IM Florida the following weekend. all podium performances IIRC.
Quote Reply
Re: Can you do 2 70.3's a month apart? [footwerx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pretty tough to do considering that Kona an IM Florida are usually about 3 weeks apart.

------------------------------
"Unless you have a ... GF who might put out that night and that night only ... skip it and race." - AndyPants 3-15-2007
Quote Reply
Re: Can you do 2 70.3's a month apart? [logella] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you are right.
it was 2 weeks apart in 2006.

Kona Oct 21 2006 - 9:47 (2nd in AG)
Florida Nov 4 2006 - 9:23 (1st in AG)

unbelievable timings for the 50-54 AG
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did 70.3 Tremblant on June 24th, and just did Musselman last Sunday.

It was great, and I'll do it all again next yr... I was ready to Tremblant & peaked for Musselman so I will say that it's thanks to my coach; alone I would not have been able to work it out.

Do it, have fun!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Absolutely.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
easily, did 4 within a 6 week window, 2 of them on back to back weekends. my times dropped with every race...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would do minimum of 2 weeks in between halfs. The week after I usually don't do much so I need another week to get back into it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm seriously contemplating doing Austin 70.3 three weeks prior to IMAZ. I was registered to do NOLA 70.3 three weeks after Texas 70.3 but I decided to bail on that NOLA clusterf*ck two days before the race.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally do able, if your fitness dictates your ready. Train how you would like to race and race how you have trained.

----------------------------------------

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
footwerx wrote:
you are right.
it was 2 weeks apart in 2006.

Kona Oct 21 2006 - 9:47 (2nd in AG)
Florida Nov 4 2006 - 9:23 (1st in AG)

unbelievable timings for the 50-54 AG

For several years, he also threw Great Floridian in between those two!!! 3x IM distance w/in about 4-5 weeks!!!

Quote | Reply
This year I did Oside and Olympic wildflower. I keep hearing how difficult the long course is but I felt great !
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Totally doable.

(cue driveby)

I did 2 halfs a week apart last Sept, with a sprint on the Wed nite in between.

A month is like forever.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did Great White North half on July 1. And I have Calgary 70.3 on Sunday, July 29. I was very happy with GWN as I got the IMC spot. And I think Calgary will be even better. And now I have IMC a month after Calgary 70.3. I guess we will see, but judging from my training, I think it will be pretty do-able.

Go for it.

-----------------------------------------------------
But, he said I was an Ironman.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can top that. Joe has done “the triple” Kona-GFT- IMFL Seven Times. One year they were three weeks in a row. Three times he followed IMFL with 70.3 Champs in Clearwater.

2007 9-Sep Ironman Wisconsin 9:44:08 AG Record
2007 13-Oct Ironman Hawaii 9:46:36 1st 50-54
2007 21-Oct Great Floridian 9:38:33 Ist OA
2007 3-Nov Ironman Florida 9:23:10 1st AG

But Joe is a freak and I don’t recommend you try this at home. Although many others have done close IM race with good results. It depends on your genetics, base, training, recovery and how your body handles each race.

Support Crew
This information contained herein has been assembled for your assistance and convenience. It is believed to be reliable, however, its accuracy cannot be guaranteed. All opinions shown are subject to change without notice.
Quote Reply