Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CDA Kona Qualifiers
Quote | Reply
Does anyone know where to find slot allocation for CDA this past weekend?
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [OJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wow, you are in luck. A buddy of mine took this snapshot of the sheet!

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [Bryancd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
once I hit 75 I'll be set!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It looks like there are no longer directly proportional slots as it seems they must split some directly to the women then on to the AGs in a gender proportion. Not sure what I think about that.

Jack

"Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Elliot | Cycle2Tri.com
Sponsors: SciCon | | Every Man Jack
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Clearly better to be female!

David
* Ironman for Life! (Blog) * IM Everyday Hero Video * Daggett Shuler Law *
Disclaimer: I have personal and professional relationships with many athletes, vendors, and organizations in the triathlon world.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you for posting this photo.

I was wondering the exact same thing. I just signed up for my first IM a few days ago and it's CDA.

Assuming the breakdown is similar...

I've got my work cut out for me.
YIKES!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it looks like it always did. 18 slots to female and 32 to males. When you start looking at percentages it gets confusing as to how they do it. If an AG has 2.56 of the slot and another AG has 4.52 of the slots, the AG w/ 2.56 of the slots gets a 3rd slot before the AG w/ 4.52 of the slots gets a 5th slot.

I didn't (and won't) do the math, but it looks typical to me. It's hard to judge because you have AGs w/ 1 & 2 people who get a slot, so that blows the proportions kinda crazy
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [npage148] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
once I hit 75 I'll be set!

Not me, I'd lose to the other guy and the single slot.

I have to wait until 80 then hope I am the only one there and they give a slot.

Maybe I should start training now, I only have 30 more years.
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [FJB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How is it that AGs with fewer than 50 people get the same number of slots as some with over 100? doesn't seem fair.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, that's sobering. The days of 8 slots in the biggest age groups are long, long gone. If you qualify in the competitve AGs you are truly a stud.

The nice thing about Kona is that you can always go there on vacation...

mm
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
remember, one slot gets automatically assigned first to every age group that has a starter. Then, of the remaining slots, they are allocated based on the maths.
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [triFP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Looks like they split it at the 25's
<25 - 1 slot
<125 - 2 slots
<225 - 3 slots
<325 - 4 slots
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [torrey] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that is just chance. That is not the way the slots are supposed to be allocated.
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [CPT Chaos] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its pretty much exactly as I calculated it would be before the race: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=3981946#3981946 The allocation is exactly proportional to the number of starters there are in age group regardless if you are male or female. The reason why my calculation is slightly different from the actual is because the allocation is determined by the number of actual starters when the gun goes. My calculation was just based on the participant list that was posted two weeks prior to the race. I use an excel spreadsheet that calculates it.

Train to race. Race to win.
Last edited by: flyingirish: Jun 29, 12 15:31
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [flyingirish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yes, your calculations are great to get a pretty good sense of what the allocation may be. There may always be the extra spot, such as the DNS of the 80 year old or if the 75 year old didn' t finish, those two slots would go to the men's groups closest to the next whole number.
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ya, you never know till the midnight hour. I'll be doing the calculations for all the other IMs as they come up in case anyone is interested to see where they might stack up at a given race.

Train to race. Race to win.
Quote Reply
Re: CDA Kona Qualifiers [Russ Brandt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Russ Brandt wrote:
yes, your calculations are great to get a pretty good sense of what the allocation may be. There may always be the extra spot, such as the DNS of the 80 year old or if the 75 year old didn' t finish, those two slots would go to the men's groups closest to the next whole number.

By the by, folks, Russ is the guy who took the pic I posted so give him credit. :)

-Of course it's 'effing hard, it's IRONMAN!
Team ZOOT
ZOOT, QR, Garmin, HED Wheels, Zealios, FormSwim, Precision Hydration, Rudy Project
Quote Reply