Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers)
Quote | Reply
I picked out what seemed to be the questions for me from BrianPBN's thread. Thank you, by the way, for all the kind words. So I'll preemptively answer those questions here. Maybe that will cover everything. If not, ask away. Same "rules" as the other times I've done this. Please keep questions about the race itself as much as possible. (I'm not going to share much in the way of details about training for the race, simply because I don't think answering those questions is actually a good idea, for a variety of reasons which I've covered.) Anyway, this isn't for me, it's for all of you. So ask away.

THE SWIM / SWIM PACKS

In the typical pro Ironman race, it's a long straight shot before the first turn buoy, so there isn't an immediate break, though I think the first pack establishes itself pretty quickly. I'd agree with Brandon's statement that a 5:20 (or 5:23 in my case) 500 time isn't fast enough to make the front pack. I'm pretty much certain that I'd be fast enough to STAY in the front pack if you dropped me into it at about the 1000m mark. The hard part - at least in my case, without a swim background and, according to my collegiate rowing coach, "95% slowtwitch muscle fibers" (though I think I can sprint reasonably well on the run, for a long course guy anyway) - is the swim start. In Texas, I started near Brandon and Rasmus, since I knew that they would be in the front group, so I thought I'd give myself the best chance to get on their feet and get into that group. But by the time I was done with the "just swim as hard as you can" part of the swim, they were already pretty clearly gone. One - only one person - got dropped out of that group (somewhere around 1500m), so it was pretty clear who was going to be in and who wasn't, especially with a wetsuit. I was basically at the front of the second pack the whole day, and, just like in Canada, came out of the water with Mary Beth Ellis. The pace during the bulk of the swim itself was never really strenuous, so I basically start the bike feeling pretty much 100%, but in a race like this - with only 6 guys in the front group - and no wetsuits, I think it's at least another year before I make the front group. And maybe not even then. In a wetsuit-legal swim, I think I'm closer, just because the break happens less quickly because wetsuits help worse swimmers more than they do good swimmers.

Could I have swam faster than 53 (or, more relevantly, could I have given up less than 5min) if I had swam on my own or led the group? Possibly. But I also might have gone the exact same speed and expended a LOT more effort. Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to lead swim packs. However, SOMEONE obviously needs to do it. But with my swim background, I think it's probably a better idea in my case to try to stay in the group I'm with after the start and to make sure I'm in no worse a pack than the 2nd cut (or "main" pack if you have one or two uber swimmers - Potts/Fettell/D. McClarty - off the front) and then do my work on the bike and the run. I think 70.3s are good for doing some experimentation with pushing the pace and trying different things out, but in an Ironman, if I'm the second group, I'm going to err on the side of caution

By all accounts, Kona is actually an easier race to make the front group in - salt water is not quite as good as a wetsuit, but again, it helps poor swimmers more than good swimmers - and because the level of consistency is higher, so rather than having a group of guys at 100% (Potts being like 105%), and then basically one or two folks at 97-98%, and then one or two folks at 94-95%, etc. You have several guys at 100%, 99%, 98%, 97%, 96%, 95%, etc. So if you can make the feet of the guy who is making the feet of the guy who is making the feet of the guy who is... Ben Hoffman is a great example of this - and he's really the one who's explained the dynamic of the Kona swim to me the best. At Lake Placid 2011, with a small pro field, Ben was 2min down to TJ Tollakson out of the swim. But Ben has made the front pack in Kona in both 2010 and 2011, coming out 10seconds behind TJ in 2011, 2.5months after giving up 2min to him at IMLP. Ben is a better swimmer than I am, but not by a lot; we've come out of the water together at plenty of races. But Ben certainly seems to have the swim part of Kona dialed. And, generally, while you definitely need to make that front group to WIN in Kona, you can do well without it; Timo Bracht being the best example of a guy who did his own race all day, and finished 5th on the heels of a balanced performance last year.

COURSE ACCURACY

I have the bike course at 179.7km on a Garmin Edge 500. I have the run course from when I started my watch - just out of T2 - and stopped it - just before the carpet - as 41.50km on a Garmin 310XT for 2:46:40; so probably about 41.6km. However, I'm somewhat comforted by Brandon's GPS putting the run at a more accurate distance. Generally, I pretty much always think run courses are short, but I can think of a few reasons why the Woodlands course is a tough one to get a definitive read on from one GPS file. If you have 8-10, you can correct them to get a better idea, but one file is risky. This because of GPS measures and how we actually run. Basically GPS measure U-shape as V-shape. In the case of a very tight "U", which fits inside of the "V," a GPS measures long. Courses with a lot of hard 180s (around a cone for example) tend to measure long, because the GPS doesn't "corner" as fast as you do. However, on a long 180 - say around a building - the "V" fits inside of the "U" and GPS measures short because it's connecting your path with straight lines on a 1sec interval. There seemed to me to be an equal number of "sweeping 180s" and "hard 180s" on the IMTX course, so I don't know how that adds up. The hardest part of the Woodlands run course - by my estimation - is the section on the path through the trees though. The path is an undulating "S" shaped path through the trees. The 310XT is generally pretty good in the trees, but if the signal gets weak because of cover, GPS *ALWAYS* measures short because it just connects points in a straight line and "|" is obviously shorter than "S." I figure that you could add as much at 2min to my run split, but by my estimation that's probably true of almost ANY Ironman course. There's speculation that the new Kona course - with T2 moved - is actually short, though there's no guarantee that prior courses - except for the period when it was a certified Boston qualifier - were accurate either. In general, I think it's too bad that there all triathlons don't follow IAAF standards for measuring. And, despite setting a run course "record," the run course is different than last year's course, which might have been longer/shorter/faster/slower/etc.

So, if you want to add a couple minutes to my run to get what you think is a more "accurate" time, feel free. Ideally, we can get a couple people to share their GPS files and we can get a definitive answer.

Brandon - turn on your watch in the morning before the swim. A 310 or 910 has 20hrs of battery life; plenty to come into T2 and just push "start" and have it be ready. That's actually the only reason I use a 310 instead of a 610, which I think fits better. Though you could actually have a 610 running off a portable USB charge pack to keep the battery up in your bag... Enginerd ideas...

KONA

I'm planning on 2013. Plan is to do IMTX again as "validation" and then race Kona. IMTX is good timing, because you don't have to be ready super early, but it's also not so late as to not give you the opportunity to do take some real rest afterwards. As far as why not this year, there are two races that I want to do and have committed to for a combination of personal/business reasons - Ironman Canada and the Leadman Epic 250 Bend. The 30th anniversary of Ironman Canada is special to me; it's my (adopted) hometown race. I live less than 1km from the race start. Penticton is an incredibly important part of my life, and Ironman is incredibly important to Penticton. So that's why I'm doing IMC again. Not because I think I need to get more out of that race, but because I want to give back something after all that it's given to me. And Life Time Fitness gave me a great opportunity to be a big part of the Leadman race series that I took because I think it's a great idea for a great series from a great company and because they made me an offer that I thought made sense given that I think that it's a great idea for a great series from a great company. The Leadman 250 in Bend is September 22, and that is just too long a race to do that close to Kona. So that's why I will not race Kona this year. That's not meant as any sort of value judgement on one company or one race format over the other. I am not in a rush to get to Kona, and the races that I'm doing this year make the most sense to me for a variety of reasons. I remember one of the early interviews Lance did, when he talked about why he *IS* trying for Kona; he said, "I don't need a job; I need a challenge." While a challenge is certainly extremely important to me, I *DO* need a job. I have a wife and an 11-month old son to support. And while what makes the MOST "business" sense is certainly not something that is fun to talk about or that inspires people or that kind of thing, it is important. It's not the only thing. And it's certainly not the most important thing - I love being a pro triathlete because I love to train, I love to race, I love to be at home with my son every day, and a whole lot more. But I do factor it in, and I do make decisions and commitments with that as a very serious consideration.

FOR PEDALSAURUS-TEX

Yes, I do get tired of talking about myself...

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kind of a silly question, but since I just bought one, I'm curious if you're still racing with a TT02 helmet? If not, what are you using and why did you switch?

Oh ... and HUGE congratulations!
Last edited by: bobby11: May 21, 12 7:57
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [Rappstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In one of the other threads, there was mention of an interview, and something about watts? Is this video online somewhere?

Also, 1st place, not bad, not bad.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How did you hide that pull buoy in your suit?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dang!

Coach at KonaCoach Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrads

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Koala Crisp?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Do you notice hot women along the course, even when you are deep in the hurt locker?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How would you rate/describe the bike course on Sat in terms of difficulty? It seemed like everyone had really fast bike splits.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very well done Jordan!

Which tri suit are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [bobby11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bobby11 wrote:
Kind of a silly question, but since I just bought one, I'm curious if you're still racing with a TT02 helmet? If not, what are you using and why did you switch?

Oh ... and HUGE congratulations!

Yes, still using TT02. Been using it since 2008 (though not the same helmet...).

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
In one of the other threads, there was mention of an interview, and something about watts? Is this video online somewhere?

Also, 1st place, not bad, not bad.

Only video I've seen online is: www.­swimbikerunvideo­s.­com/­jordan-­rapp-­finish-­line-­speech-­ironman-­texas/­

And that link wasn't working for me earlier...

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [TeamBarenaked] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TeamBarenaked wrote:
How did you hide that pull buoy in your suit?

Nature's pocket.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
Koala Crisp?

Actually, Leaping Lemurs bars at the past two races - http://shop.naturespath.com/...turesPath@EnviroKidz

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [TashaSkippy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TashaSkippy wrote:
Do you notice hot women along the course, even when you are deep in the hurt locker?

No. I only have eyes for my wife (who reads ST by the way...). Wink

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [3Aims] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
3Aims wrote:
How would you rate/describe the bike course on Sat in terms of difficulty? It seemed like everyone had really fast bike splits.

The hardest part of the course is that all the shade comes early, when you don't need it. I also don't think that fast courses are easy courses. A course like this will punish you if you come out of the aerobars a lot, but thankfully it's not so flat and straight that you can't stretch a bit.

It's a great course. Fast, for sure, if you are good about staying in your bars and can handle the heat/humidity. Humid air is faster than dry air (H2O weighs less than both N2 and O2) and the road surface is good everywhere except Grimes County, so you can certainly rip off a fast ride. But there are plenty of little rollers to bite you, and you have to be good about staying down in the bars. The headwind coming back into town wasn't pleasant either.

EVERY course is hard. It just depends on what makes it hard. I suppose it's probably different for AG athletes, where you might have big packs that you wouldn't get on a hillier course. But a flat course solo is no easier than a hilly course solo, so in that sense, I'm probably not the best person to ask. Then again, with one big loop, I'm sure the course is less "drafty" than a coure like IMAZ. But with 2000+ athletes, I'm sure it was hard to have a lot of space to yourself as well...

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [brigby1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brigby1 wrote:
Very well done Jordan!

Which tri suit are you using?

Custom Zoot suit. Hoping to refine it and get the sizes right to make it public spring 2014.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job, and speach! Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After your "issues" at IMAZ have you taken any countermeasures to ensure your stomach and colon cooperate? (IE - Imodium?)
If your stomach starts grumbling during a race, does it start to freak you out that you might be having an IMAZ flashback?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice to see that once again excellent preparation and fantastic execution pays off. Well done

On the video feed you were observed looking at your Garmin on a regular basis. Greg Welch repeated commented that you were checking your heart rate while I thought it more likely you were checking your pace. So do you monitor heart rate and use it as your primary pace setter for the run or are you going more strictly by pace?

Thanks for putting up with us.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on the race Jordan. It was a lot of fun watching you on the interweb, especially when you made the pass on the run.

A couple of questions and if the first one is in the training category I apologize.

What is your pre race routine the day before the race, eating and exercise mostly?

On the bike I saw you get up out of the saddle a couple of times and was wondering if it was because of hills or to get out of the aero position for a bit and move the legs a little differently for a change of pace?

Thanks!!

#WeAreTheForge #BlackGunsMatter

"Look, will you guys at leats accept that you are a bunch of dumb asses and just trust me on this one? Please?" BarryP 7/30/2012
Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sciguy wrote:
Nice to see that once again excellent preparation and fantastic execution pays off. Well done

On the video feed you were observed looking at your Garmin on a regular basis. Greg Welch repeated commented that you were checking your heart rate while I thought it more likely you were checking your pace. So do you monitor heart rate and use it as your primary pace setter for the run or are you going more strictly by pace?

Hugh

Pace. I don't ever wear a HRM outside. I use it inside on the rare occasions I run inside because treadmills at gyms are notoriously poorly calibrated.

Quote Reply
Re: The Official Ask Me Anything About Ironman Texas Thread (With A Few Preemptive Answers) [timboricki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
timboricki wrote:
After your "issues" at IMAZ have you taken any countermeasures to ensure your stomach and colon cooperate? (IE - Imodium?)
If your stomach starts grumbling during a race, does it start to freak you out that you might be having an IMAZ flashback?

I was more careful about washing my hands before eating. And I made especially "simple" food before the race. But I think it was more likely that IMAZ was the fluke rather than my previous Ironmans. Generally, I just tried to be super disciplined about following my own "rules" - minimal fiber 24hrs before the race, simple food, wash hands regularly pre race, make your own food when possible. I tried not to panic in the aftermath of IMAZ and change a whole bunch of things. If THIS race had gone badly, then I would have done more serious analysis. But sometimes, pardon the pun, shit happens...

My stomach was actually super cooperative all day. Which was nice. I try not to ever freak out about anything during the race. I do sometimes - "my brakes are rubbing!" - but I try not to let it get to me. Ironman is so long, you can have a good race overcoming ALMOST anything.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rappstar wrote:
sciguy wrote:

Hugh

Pace. I don't ever wear a HRM outside. I use it inside on the rare occasions I run inside because treadmills at gyms are notoriously poorly calibrated.

is that because you know 'x' pace equates to a specific heart rate/zone?

Merge Multisport Founder & Head Coach
USAT Level 2 - Short & Long Course
Ironman Certified
Brevard, NC
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As a local, I found the weather this weekend to be relatively mild, but I realize that for for a lot of out of town folks, the heat and humidity are difficult this early in the year. How did you adjust your training to prepare those conditions and how did they impact your execution on Saturday?

-Andrew
Quote Reply

Prev Next