Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Chrabot's power file [hammonjj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
well for one you didn't state your weight

for two there's a big range to that chart for each category

for three someone incredibly clever or incredibly NOT clever may fall outside of that range, its just a rule of thumb. a great, tactical sprinter might have a horrid FTP and still win cat 1 races from time to time, and a guy with a cat 1 FTP may never get out of the 4s because he races dumb.

anyway, to be able to bike with as much power as Chrabot can is NOT normal. people who think it is normal because they can do it, don't realize how abnormal they are =)

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [HXB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the massive spikes in power? everyone knows that a max effort over a min or so takes a huge amount out of you!

http://stuartwalpole.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [stuartaus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stuartaus wrote:
What about the massive spikes in power? everyone knows that a max effort over a min or so takes a huge amount out of you!

thats why we were talking about normalized power, which sorta attempts to take that into account.

Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
the normalized power is 4.7 watts/kg

that puts him in studly cat 2, or lower end cat 1 road cyclist.

You ever done a cat 2 road race?

good luck.

Cat 2 racers are a dime a dozen. And U.S. cat 2 racers are a joke to the euro amateur race scene. I would guess the itu cyclists are resting as much as possible and that's why the brownlees' are successful at breakaways, as they are truly working. No offense, but the racing power file looks like many of the better riders on this forum, week in, week out.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [mlinenb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exactly, comparing a ITU powerfile to a bike race powerfile is non sensical. The goal of one is to use the least power possible and place really doesn't matter, unless you are the rare rider that tries to break away, the goal of the other it to try to get to the fnish line in first place, no matter what the power profile looks like.

Coogans chart is a guideline for what you should be able to do in a test, not what your race powerfile will or should look like.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
Exactly, comparing a ITU powerfile to a bike race powerfile is non sensical. The goal of one is to use the least power possible and place really doesn't matter, unless you are the rare rider that tries to break away, the goal of the other it to try to get to the fnish line in first place, no matter what the power profile looks like.

Coogans chart is a guideline for what you should be able to do in a test, not what your race powerfile will or should look like.

Agreed- that's why looking at their files- generally they will be unimpressive- because the goal is for them to be unimpressive. Look at a powerfile of the recent Tour of California, to see what real pro power looks like of a pure cyclist.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yeah and the better riders on this forum are 1%ers

and then these guys swam an 18 minute 1,500 before and run 30 minute 10ks after said bike rides

its simply incredible, and anyone who says differently, i wonder why they aren't racing ITU?

mlinenb wrote:
Cat 2 racers are a dime a dozen. And U.S. cat 2 racers are a joke to the euro amateur race scene. I would guess the itu cyclists are resting as much as possible and that's why the brownlees' are successful at breakaways, as they are truly working. No offense, but the racing power file looks like many of the better riders on this forum, week in, week out.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
everyone is unimpressive to somebody I guess.

mlinenb wrote:
styrrell wrote:

Agreed- that's why looking at their files- generally they will be unimpressive- because the goal is for them to be unimpressive. Look at a powerfile of the recent Tour of California, to see what real pro power looks like of a pure cyclist.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
On a stand alone cycling leg compared to other cyclists- yes. Pro Tour Riders have powerfiles of AVG power above 300 watts for 5 hours. Their normative data is even higher. Now back to ITU, they ride well (or as fast as they need to) for the ride being sandwiched into a swim and run. I didn't think this thread was about that, though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
I'm just feeling insecure.
300 is 20 minutes for me and I'm 79kg =)

That's why we have day jobs. Maybe get some pointers from your spouse on how to move up coggans chart!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Overall, when I see the top ITUers swim times I think, wow that's blistering. When I see they run 30-31 minute 10ks I think wow that's blistering. With these types of performances I don't think if they had an FTP of 5.5 watts/kg that would be out of the ordinary so I expected avg powers of like 330 or so for the breakaway guys in this scenario, because surely some of the bigger guys can put out 330 no problem, but like a stated, being more powerful on the bike doesn't buy you much compared to running ability, therefore power numbers are bound to be lower, both in terms of what the riders themselves can do in relative FTP and within the races themselves.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 Dev. Amazes me how so many get defensive when challaneged on the difference between drafting vs non drafting. Its not an insult as to the quality of the itu pro's bike capabilities. Its simply not as hard on average vs the same race non drafting.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [LJS] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LJS wrote:
x2 Dev. Amazes me how so many get defensive when challaneged on the difference between drafting vs non drafting. Its not an insult as to the quality of the itu pro's bike capabilities. Its simply not as hard on average vs the same race non drafting.

Thats not really true and its not being defensive. The race is just as hard as non-drafting you just have a different focus, the swim is significantly harder because the bikers can't lay back in it and you may be more rested for the run but you end up running it harder its just a wash.

Not to shoot hole's in Dev's argument but hy-vee is a horrible example. San Diego was pancake flat and hy-vee has a bitch hill they have to run up I believe 4 times. with winds that were 15-25mph. Its exactly why comparing two races together is silly. There's too many factors, the swim was also absolutely brutal due to it being a river swim with an ugly current that day. Also using hunter's time isn't very useful since he raced the week before in Chicago, vs being basically full on taper for San Diego. I don't think his conclusion is wrong that they run slower because they bike harder but you're just using one at the expense of the other. It's not harder for non-drafting, its just different.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
That doesn't mean the chart is off.

IIRC, the author of that chart did not use any data from the intermediate categories in creating the chart - just samples from untrained and professional cyclists. The values assigned to intermediate categories came from just dividing up the space between untrained and pro.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [TH3_FRB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TH3_FRB wrote:
Might be that these guys and gals are simply trained specifically for the spiky nature of draft legal racing. NP may or may not be an appropriate metric but they are just able to withstand more highly variable efforts than non-drafting guys. Then they get into non-drafting races and aren't as well trained for the steady state riding.

It will be interesting to see how Dr. Skiba's research paper on this topic comes out. He's already identified CP (~FTP) as the dominant factor in recovering from supra-threshold efforts. I believe that his next release will include data on the effect of "repeatability" training in reloading W.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Anyway, all good monday morning quarterbacking, and as hard as the ITU ride is, seems the physiologically it is still easier than a constant non draft effort with no rest breaks. If not, non drafting run splits would be faster. They almost never are.

No chance of selection bias there
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
Thats not really true and its not being defensive. The race is just as hard as non-drafting you just have a different focus, the swim is significantly harder because the bikers can't lay back in it and you may be more rested for the run but you end up running it harder its just a wash.

Speaking from experience - the swim is just as hard in a non-drafting tri, the bike is harder in a non-drafting tri, and the run is equally as hard in a non-drafting tri - just slower due to fatigue from the bike. This is why those who ride off the front in the draft legal WTS events (with a few notable exceptions: Brownlees, for example) run slower than when sitting in the group. Which is also why very few attempts to get away are made in a high-profile draft legal event.

Because you're allowed to draft, it is harder to distance your peers on the bike in a draft legal event, which is partly why the bike leg in draft legal tri is easier.

Simple concept: a hard bike negatively affects one's run. This is a fact that does not seem lost on the Brownlees - but there are only 2 or 3 of them. It's also a fact that is not ignored by the 60 athletes that got off the bike together in the WTS San Diego event. And it's certainly a fact that is not ignored in non-drafting triathlons.

I'm puzzled as to why more people don't understand this.

Not to stray, but I predict the brothers Brownlee will ride away from the field in the London Olympics and finish 1-2 . . . even though they don't have to.

Jimmy
http://www.Riccitello.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [JimmyRiccitello] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They wont outride the likes of Gomez, Russians and anyone else who is on their feet out of T1. They may be in the select group that stays away, but I dont think they are going to try and then gap even that select group.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
http://www.aomultisport.com
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [Grant.Reuter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Grant.Reuter wrote:
LJS wrote:

Not to shoot hole's in Dev's argument but hy-vee is a horrible example. San Diego was pancake flat and hy-vee has a bitch hill they have to run up I believe 4 times. with winds that were 15-25mph. Its exactly why comparing two races together is silly. There's too many factors, the swim was also absolutely brutal due to it being a river swim with an ugly current that day. Also using hunter's time isn't very useful since he raced the week before in Chicago, vs being basically full on taper for San Diego. I don't think his conclusion is wrong that they run slower because they bike harder but you're just using one at the expense of the other. It's not harder for non-drafting, its just different.

Yeah, no arguement about the focus of one format vs. the other. In ITU, the bike is under emphasized, and in non drafting there is more focus on potentially making up more time and developing more of a gap on the bike, because the breakaway guy knows his peers will have to work pretty hard to limit losses and the gap developed on the bike is potentially defendable on the run. In draft legal racing, it is fairly rare that one can defend a breakaway lead off the bike, because guys are relatively soft pedaling at average powers of 4W per kilo and can save LOTS of juice for the run....as Jimmy points out in his post.

You're right comparing HyVee is not optimal, but even if you give Hunter a full taper and even if you flatten that hill, he's not closing the 3 minute gap between his HyVee 10K time and San Diego time. 3 minutes is 180 seconds....that's 18 seconds per kilometer, in other words exactly 10% slower than the San Diego run....a taper is not going to give you 10% and a hill that you go up and down 4 times is not going to add up to 3 minutes (you still get some of that back on the downhill)....the real culprit is a harder overall bike at HyVee for Hunter.

Another example is Mirinda Carfrae who was second at HyVee and outran Bennet and Haskins by A LOT. She is not regarded as a strong Ironman biker, but she's not an ITU caliber swimmer either. But when everyone has to push their own wind on the bike, she can outrun some of the best ITU runners that the US has to offer. Which plays into the points that Jimmy makes. Almost Everyone runs slower at non drafting races because the bike is harder. Everyone runs faster at draft legal because the bike is easier.

To the guy who asked about selection bias, I'm not talking about athletes doing one type of racing over the other. I'm talking about when the same athlete does draft legal vs non drafting, and the deltas in their run split.

Seriously, looking at Matt's Average power, is 4.24W per kilo ....his effort on the bike is drastically lower than a 31ish 10K. I think 4.24W per kilo equates to around a 35 min 10K pace (Rchung can chime in with the watts per kilo to meters per second conversion). In non drafting racing the watts per kilo on the bike would probably be closer to the meters per second on the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At the London WCS world cup last year, if I recall, Alistair rode away with Bryukhankov and gapped Gomez!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Last year was alot of tactics being played out (it was many countries olympic qualifier). Just like the women's race where they basically rode piano to let the big chase pack form the big peloton. It was how Jorgensen was able to get her Olympic spot.

Gomez didn't need a top 3 at London to make the Spanish Olympic team. That was a very race tactical race in both events. I certainly don't see Gomez and others letting it happen again.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Last edited by: BDoughtie: May 16, 12 19:01
Quote Reply
Re: Chrabot's power file [BDoughtie] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is true....and it was raining. However, if it rains in London again, all bets are off on who can follow the Brownlees. One of them takes a flyer while the other guy sits in. If you chase the guy that take the flyer, you basically give the other one an hour to rest up for the 10K. If you sit up and look at each other for someone to chase the guy up the road, then his lead might just get too big!
Last edited by: devashish_paul: May 16, 12 19:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lol the race commentators were joking about the weather in the San Diego telecast. Barry Shipley (I think that is his name, if not sorry) joked that he told his wife it would be high of 70s and sunny. The other commentator said you know on race day it'll be raining and high of 50s for a nice show of northern Europe weather.

------------------
@brooksdoughtie
USAT-L2,Y&J; USAC-L2
Quote Reply

Prev Next