Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations......
Quote | Reply
Hi, I am looking to get some tire for my HED 3's to race on this season. This is my first season with them so I dont really have any experience on them. I am a heavier rider, usually a little over 200lbs so I am sure that will factor into peoples opinions. Also I know the 19mm are reccomened but I would feel better running maybe a 20mm in the front and 21 in back? Thoughts...thanks
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations...... [cell1122] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a bit over 200lbs (usually race around 195 though) and run Conti GP4000 S on my Hed 3 Clinchers. I only race on my Hed3's, but so far I really like the combo.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations...... [trimdc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats the combo that I go with (when I go dual trispokes). The gp4000s w/latex tubes. However it is 23 mm front and rear so based on alot of data on this forum I'm giving up alot of minutes with this setup on trispokes.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations...... [MikenUltra] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MikenUltra wrote:
Thats the combo that I go with (when I go dual trispokes). The gp4000s w/latex tubes. However it is 23 mm front and rear so based on alot of data on this forum I'm giving up alot of minutes with this setup on trispokes.

I don't know how you even move! ;)

The GP4000 S is a a great tire in a lot of ways. Decent rolling resistance, decent durability, good cornering and braking grip, easily available.

but yeah a 23 on a H3, is giving up some free seconds for sure.

surely one of those narrow continentals is basically the same tire? I can't keep track of all their models.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations...... [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jackmott wrote:
if 19 makes ya nervous, the vittoria evo cx 320 or zipp tangente in 21mm are excellent choices.

What about the Vittoria in 20mm or the Conti SuperSonic in 20mm?

Are there any clinchers being manufactured in 19mm any longer?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations...... [japarker24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have heard that the 20mm vittoria is an outlier in that its rolling resistance is bad, worse than would be expected from just being narrower. I can't remember who figured that out or where the data is though.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
jackmott wrote:
if 19 makes ya nervous, the vittoria evo cx 320 or zipp tangente in 21mm are excellent choices.

The SuperSonics are crazy fast and mate pretty well with the H3, but they lack the durability of the GP4000s. Race only tires, unless you train in a velodrome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
japarker24 wrote:
jackmott wrote:

I roller tested a 20C SuperSonic just last week...and it blew away every other tire I've personally tested Crr-wise (including 23C Bontrager RXL Pro Opens and S-Works Mondo Opens in 21C and 23C).

That would make it my recommendation for the H3.

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations...... [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What make the SuperSonic less durable than other tires?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cell1122 wrote:
What make the SuperSonic less durable than other tires?

The main thing, IMHO, is that the tread rubber is thinner (i.e. you'll get less miles out of them).

The casing is (apparently) the same as other Conti tires, but they omit the puncture belt under the tread. That said, I'm of the opinion that puncture belts don't do much practical besides slow tires down. I can't recall a case of getting a puncture, or finding an object imbedded in my tire that didn't go through one of those belts.

For front tire use, at least, I wouldn't hesitate to race on them (and I DID just yesterday ;-) I probably won't put a bunch of training miles on it though...why waste my "race tires"? :-)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chip seal roads with no puncture belt would worry me. my fast tires get little cuts in the rubber sometimes, with no belt i think there would be risk of chip seal digging in one of the cuts and hitting tube.

of course you could replace the tire every couple races =)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, do you need to run a bigger tire in the back? any huge advantge to this? I am going to try a Zipp tangete 21 in the back as I got a good deal on it....could I use the same in the front? Or something smaller?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You don't "need" narrower tires tend to match the narrow rim, so you lose a bit of aero with a bigger tire. On the front its more important because the wheel sees clean air, on the back its not so important due to the rear wheel drafting the frame.

Many use a larger rear tire because they get more wear and more weight is on them.

Styrrell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A bigger tire, all else equal will last longer, be more comfy, not flat as easy.

in the rear it matters less as the rear wheel isn't much of a leading edge. I tend to go narrow front big rear. A tiny person or someone who wants those last 3 seconds might go narrow front and rear.

cell1122 wrote:
Hi, do you need to run a bigger tire in the back? any huge advantge to this? I am going to try a Zipp tangete 21 in the back as I got a good deal on it....could I use the same in the front? Or something smaller?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so is a 21 good in back or should i run that on the front and maybe a 23 or something in the back? I am bigger 200lbs
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations...... [styrrell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
styrrell wrote:
You don't "need" narrower tires tend to match the narrow rim, so you lose a bit of aero with a bigger tire. On the front its more important because the wheel sees clean air, on the back its not so important due to the rear wheel drafting the frame.

Well...for those who "cross all the 't's and dot all the 'i's" (cough...Andy Coggan for one...cough) they'll match the width of the tire to the wheel in the rear as well since the tire is not only a leading edge but a trailing edge as well...and not all frames "shelter" the wheel as well as others too.

(BTW, this is the reason Andy has run AW19s front and rear on his non-FC 808s...IIRC, he actually measured a difference in "total demand" as compared to a VF Record on the rear in his field testing despite it's significantly lower Crr)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cell1122 wrote:
OK, so is a 21 good in back or should i run that on the front and maybe a 23 or something in the back? I am bigger 200lbs

I would go 23 in the back if I were you.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
styrrell wrote:
...the tire is not only a leading edge but a trailing edge as well...and not all frames "shelter" the wheel as well as others too.

(BTW, this is the reason Andy has run AW19s front and rear on his non-FC 808s...IIRC, he actually measured a difference in "total demand" as compared to a VF Record on the rear in his field testing despite it's significantly lower Crr)

Sample size of 1
I'm 195lbs, and for non-disk races use H3s front and rear with AW19s at 120psi. Seven IMs with AW19 in front. Four also in the rear. No trouble with durability, handling or comfort. If this is the fastest option, is there an apparent reason for another tire...if one can find AW19s?
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations...... [DamonHenry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nope, stick with it.

there probably is a bit more flat risk with your setup is all. who knows how much though.

DamonHenry wrote:
Sample size of 1
I'm 195lbs, and for non-disk races use H3s front and rear with AW19s at 120psi. Seven IMs with AW19 in front. Four also in the rear. No trouble with durability, handling or comfort. If this is the fastest option, is there an apparent reason for another tire...if one can find AW19s?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interesting. How large was the difference? Those other two tires are pretty fast according to Al's measurements. Do you think they have possibly changed the compound compared to the 20c version Al has tested?
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations...... [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Interesting. How large was the difference? Those other two tires are pretty fast according to Al's measurements. Do you think they have possibly changed the compound compared to the 20c version Al has tested?

Large as compared to Al's testing in that it was just slightly under the other 2 tires as opposed to having a greater Crr. Here's the Crr I measured for each on my rollers:

Conti SS 20C - .0022
S-Works Mondo Open 23C - .0023
Bontrager RXL Pro Open 23C - .0024
S-Works Mondo Open 21C - .0024
Bontrager AeroWing TT 19C - .0028

"On road" Crr would be in the range of 1.3-1.5X that amount...

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cool, thanks for the data.

I've just gotten some SS 23c tires for the rear, will order some 20c for the front. They will be my TT tires this year. Thinking about using 20c on the back too, actually, but given a HED C2 disc and a P5 frame which should be optimized to shelter a 23c tire I guess the aero difference should be pretty tiny back there - likely no larger disadvantage than what the wider tire will probably make up in terms of Crr.

Why do you think it's faster than what Al has found? Fluke tire or maybe Continental have changed the compound?
Quote Reply
Re: HED 3 Clincher Tire recommendations...... [MTM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MTM wrote:
Why do you think it's faster than what Al has found? Fluke tire or maybe Continental have changed the compound?

It's not noted on Al's chart whether or not the SS 20C he tested was "black chili" or not...so, it could be that (the "black chili" compound has made ALL of the Conti tires using it faster).

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom A. wrote:
MTM wrote:

It's not noted on Al's chart whether or not the SS 20C he tested was "black chili" or not...so, it could be that (the "black chili" compound has made ALL of the Conti tires using it faster).

I have in my notes that the 20 was a black chili tire. I don't have it - it belongs to Ron. Here is my data including the SS 23C (Curiously the 20C was tested on 2/5/09 and the 23C was tested exactly 2 years later on 2/4/11):

Tire/tube, weight (grams), width (mm), Crr, Notes - New Tires at 120 psig

SS 20C/Michelin latex 18/20, 134 grams, 19.9 mm, 0.00251

SS 23C/Vred Thick latex 18/25, 164 grams, 23.5 mm, 0.00226
Quote Reply

Prev Next