Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

My LASIK saga continues....30 day update...
Quote | Reply
For those keeping score at home......

Recap: I had LASIK a week ago last Friday (April 8). Had moderate swelling and inflammation in both eyes. Was put on an oral coricosteroid and given an antibiotic/steroidal ointment as well. These did not sufficiently reduce the inflammation, soooo....

Last Tuesday afternoon, my doctors decided to re-open the "flap" and irrigate/flush out the inflammation. Although far from pleasant, this procedure immediately reduced the inflammation and discomfort I was having. I was fitted with clear plastic contact lenses to I assume help the flaps heal correctly and was out of work the rest of the week.

What's interesting is that immediately after my initial procedure my vison was pretty good - measured at almost 20/20 in both eyes (the right slightly poorer than the left). I couldn't truly appreciate this with all the discomfort I was having though. Now, after the second procedure, the vision in my right eye is only about 20/50, with the left still holding steady at 20/20. Doctors told me that this is probably unrelated to the flap re-opening and probably would have been the result of my LASIK regardless. I was pretty blind (-7.50/-8.00) and "at my level of correction", getting it perfect was probably a long shot at best.

I meet with my surgeon this afternoon, but it looks like I'll be having what they call an "enhancement" on my right eye at some time in the near future.

I know many of you are considering this, so I'll try to keep you up-to-date.

Toodles....
Last edited by: tryemdad: May 4, 05 8:53
Quote Reply
Re: My LASIK saga continues.... [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the commentary.

I am very interested in seeing how it works out!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a note, the "enhancement" is not uncommon.

--------------------------------------------------------
Rebuilt with twice as many titanium parts as Portland79.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was going to get lasik until my eye doc (who used to work in a respected lasik center) told me that they offered it to him for free. He said "It's just not quite there yet for me to get it myself". End of story for me...

----
Don't hold back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 20/15 post-lasik, -7.5/-8.0 pre-lasik - so perfect vision is attainable. sorry to hear of the complications.
Quote Reply
Re: My LASIK saga continues.... [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks RA...nice to know...hopefully I'll get there!!

Good News: I just weighed myself. 10 days with minimal training - one 6 mile run on Saturday and a bike trainer (1 hour ) session this morning - and I still lost 2 lbs!!!!!

I think I'm gonna write a book:

The Temporary Blindness Diet - If you can't see it, you can't eat it!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You will. While no procedure is perfect, my due diligence suggested that the procedure typically is low-risk and quite successful. It has changed my life, frankly. I could not wear glasses - the curvature of the lens made me dizzy - have poor equilibrium in general. I was also having problems with contacts - stickiness, fuzziness, drying, etc. I could not do lengthy workouts without major problems. I essentially peeled off a dry lens that had stuck to my eye after my first 1/2 IM. Since then I have gone on to do a couple IMs and many other races that I could not have done before b/c of my problems. And my golf game improved, seriously!
Quote Reply
Re: My LASIK saga continues.... [RA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like RA and yourself, I too was -7.5 to 8.0, and had the procedure in Feb. with no complications at all. I am currently at 20/15, and have to say it was lifechanging. While I was able to wear contacts, it is so nice not needing them or glasses.

Once you heal for good, after the enhancement, you'll likely feel it was worth the trouble. I can understand the frustration now, however.

Best of luck!

B
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the update; I was wondering how you were coming along. I'm still scheduled for April 22 (this Friday). I'm not all that nervous, but I do dream about it every night. My goofy parents have decided to visit on Thurs. (they are very spontaneous, travelling type people). They're driving up from Phoenix, where they are now visiting my sisters. I tried to tell them I'm having this procedure on Friday and will be out of commission that day and perhaps even the next. They were not deterred. My mom is a lovely person, but she never stops talking. I'm going to owe my husband big for this.
Quote Reply
Re: My LASIK saga continues.... [AmyCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm sure you'll do fine...most everyone does!

Definitely take it easy afterwards though. I think I may have done too much - further inflaming my eyes and not giving them a good shot at healing.

I was swayed by all of those stories I heard about being totally back to normal with perfect vision within a day or two. My usual "competitive nonsense" (if they could do it, so could I!!!) had me out the next day shopping and cooking dinner etc, even though I felt lousy.

Good luck!! Let us know how it goes.......
Quote Reply
Re: My LASIK saga continues....30 day update... [tryemdad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Now almost 1 month post-surgery and I saw the doc yesterday.

My left eye is now down to 20/15...the left eye is steadily improving to 20/25.

Looks like I may not need any additional enhancement after all - if things continue to improve as they say they will.

Discomfort is gone except for some continued dryness and the usual seasonal allergy stuff.

Looking forward to perhaps a happy ending here!!

Dan DeMaio
---------------------------------------------------------
Life is like riding a bicycle.
To keep your balance you must keep moving.
- Albert Einstein
Quote Reply