Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Talk to me about Treadmills.
Quote | Reply
I run outside no matter what the weather is like but now that I am a single father, I can not run when I have my kids. I have never run on a treadmill but now that life is forcing me to get one if I want to run more, what should I look for.

There are some amazing deals on treadmills right now.

Here are two that I was thinking about.

Tempo 632T - 2.25 CHP, large 20 X 55" cushioned deck, 10mph, 10 pre set programs. $550

Livestrong 10.0T - 2.75 CHP, not sure on deck size, 12mph, 11 programs. $800

Is it worth the extra $250 to get a little bit stronger motor and the extra 2mph. My days of running sub 6 minute miles are long over. This is to do a bit of speed work, indoor bricks and some running when the kids are in bed.


AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Last edited by: BMANX: Jan 4, 12 9:29
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All the information you want here.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I love it when people on this forum just tell you to search the forum....a most unfriendly seach function at best. Your question was very specific. Try- treadmilldoctor.com and look for the specific reviews of those 2 treadmills. I went with a higher CHP motor because I am a heavier runner but have no idea if thats logical or not. :)
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [The Authority] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Authority wrote:
All the information you want here.

So that's what makes you "The Authority"?

To the OP, I'd had 3 treamills over my 20 yr running "career", starting with a $250 piece of junk (puny deck, 1.5 hp) up to a larger more powerful Reebok S9.80 with multiple programs (on sale for$599). My normal mileage is ~ 45 min - 1 hr every other day with a longish 1.5 hr run on the weekend over the winter. My wife also walks ~ 30 min - 45 min every day. I'm pretty sure that's on the high end of what people normally use a treadmill and we've never had one break down or wear out. The only reason we replaced them was just going after bigger decks/more features/upgrade-itis. That being said, after the first couple of runs on the newest one, I haven't felt the need to use any of the features again...

If the $ difference is a make or break, go cheap. If not, go for the HP/bigger deck. They both have similar features and you won't wear them out, so $$$ is the deciding factor. With kids around, you won't regret having a 'mill. However, spend a couple of bucks on a "Runerval" DVD to keep you interested.

Of course, I'm sure the 'mill snobs will suggest you spend $2K min, but in my experience you don't need to break the bank to get what you are looking for.
By the way, this is a highly "critically acclaimed" treadmill that isn't much more than the LS you mentioned:

http://www.amazon.com/...ativeASIN=B0030EW7Q8

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com - Full Carbon Clinchers. (Use Code Brad2015 for $50 off the "FAT" series wheelsets!)
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [Pharmguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I like it when the 184 post guy is telling the 3900 post guy to use the search function. Like I did not already do that but yes like you mentioned, I have specific questions about these two models and would like others useful input.

Thanks for the link and I will take a look over there.


AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [hillier99] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you. These are $1500-$2000 normally and on sale for these prices. One is $1050 off and the other is $1200 off.

I am not worried about the extra features as I have a 37" TV mounted on the wall with a swivel mount so I can move it where needed or watch any shows I want to watch. I already do this with my bike trainer downstairs as well. PVR also helps. If there is nothing to watch then I just run with my IPOD. Again I do the same thing with the bike trainer.

Thanks for the input. The only reason I am thinking about it now is the fact they are all 60%+ off.


AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I like it when the 184 post guy is telling the 3900 post guy to use the search function. Like I did not already do that but yes like you mentioned, I have specific questions about these two models and would like others useful input.

Thanks for the link and I will take a look over there.

The "Authority" is paulo. Way more than 3900 posts, esp. if you include his first nick, smartasscoach.

John



Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Devlin wrote:
BMANX wrote:
I like it when the 184 post guy is telling the 3900 post guy to use the search function. Like I did not already do that but yes like you mentioned, I have specific questions about these two models and would like others useful input.

Thanks for the link and I will take a look over there.


The "Authority" is paulo. Way more than 3900 posts, esp. if you include his first nick, smartasscoach.

John

Someone is wrong on the Internet! What should I do???
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Compare both. Get whichever one is the heaviest.

If you can run on them before purchasing, it would be a good idea to do so. Sometimes specs are good, but once you get on one you can see (or feel) low quality.

Why Do You Race? | Twitter: @_NickWhite
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your probably paying extra because it has the "Livestrong" tag.

I'd go with the other one. 10 MPH is fast on a treadmill.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you dont mind me asking, where are you thinking of purchasing them? Im also in the market for one and besides amazon, I dont really know of any good sites having a sale.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JPDMD25 wrote:
If you dont mind me asking, where are you thinking of purchasing them? Im also in the market for one and besides amazon, I dont really know of any good sites having a sale.

Dicks sporting goods is having a decent sale, and includes free shipping.

John



Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
x2 10mph is pretty quick on a mill.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com - Full Carbon Clinchers. (Use Code Brad2015 for $50 off the "FAT" series wheelsets!)
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [JPDMD25] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am in Canada so Canadian Tire has them in the flyer this week but I have been watching them for a month now and they have been on sale for quite a while. I am thinking they are just last years models. The pricing is right.


AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're in Canada, check out Sears. They usually got some hug discounts going on.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com - Full Carbon Clinchers. (Use Code Brad2015 for $50 off the "FAT" series wheelsets!)
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [Devlin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm surprised that someone named the "Authority" would have spelled their name wrong on their first attempt. "Autority" LOL.

Brad

3SIXTY5cycling.com - Full Carbon Clinchers. (Use Code Brad2015 for $50 off the "FAT" series wheelsets!)
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sears has a decent sale on treadmills right now. I've been eyeing the nordictrac T5.5 and T5.7 treadmills for a few days
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [The Authority] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
To wikipedia!


Team RACC | scottbowe.com

"no matt...your FTP is never high enough, there is always room for improvement." - jonnyo
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [hayai_240] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check out Canadian Tires new flyer. They seem to have better deals.


AERO & LIGHT is RIGHT

Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
let me preface this by saying I don't know anything about treadmills.

But...I have one that I bought used from someone that was using it as a clothes rack.

I don't use any functions other than the fan.
I only run on manual
I do use the incline everytime I run.
the biggest deficiency that I wished I was aware of before BESIDES deck width is the cushioning.

Mine has an air cushion which makes it very squishy. and sometimes the belt actually wiggles if landing hard and will cause you to fall.
My machine forces me to concentrate on running with light steps thus smoothly because of this but I think it's so dangerous that no one else uses it.

I think it was more intended to be a walker than a running treadmill. I don't know the brand. I think it's a Horizon T620 or something close to that. Came from Sears.

Will probably upgrade when someone needs to sell a better clothes hanger.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
I run outside no matter what the weather is like but now that I am a single father, I can not run when I have my kids. I have never run on a treadmill but now that life is forcing me to get one if I want to run more, what should I look for.

There are some amazing deals on treadmills right now.

Here are two that I was thinking about.

Tempo 632T - 2.25 CHP, large 20 X 55" cushioned deck, 10mph, 10 pre set programs. $550

Livestrong 10.0T - 2.75 CHP, not sure on deck size, 12mph, 11 programs. $800

Is it worth the extra $250 to get a little bit stronger motor and the extra 2mph. My days of running sub 6 minute miles are long over. This is to do a bit of speed work, indoor bricks and some running when the kids are in bed.

I think it is. While I haven't heard of more than anecdotal reports of 2.25HP treadmills failing from engine burnout, the truth is that most of the TMs in the $500-$700 range were really meant for walkers and not runners. Running TMs nowadays are typically 2.75-3.0HP, with most of the good midrange ones being 3.0.

The smaller engine will have to 'work harder' to maintain the same pace as the bigger motor, which means more noise and potentially more engine burnout, and also lower top speed.

As you will likely keep this TM for quite awhile as a dedicated triathlete, I'd at least get the $800 one - sounds much more like a running treadmill to me. While the cheaper one could work just fine, I think you're taking a bit of a risk by buying it, and TMs are big and bulky enough that it doesn't seem worth the hassle, especially for something that you'll be keeping for a long time.

For what it's worth as well, there are a lot of folks who bought the Livestrong TMs on other forums, and I haven't heard nary a peep of complaint from them, so it does sound like the real deal.
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I bought the Horizon T101 for $499 at Academy two years ago for reasons OP described. I use it a ton during the week. I've been shocked how well it has held up for a "basic" treadmill. Fan works. Fairly quiet. Cushioned. It folds up too. It's still quiet and works like a charm. I run anywhere from 6.5 mph to 9.5mph on it with incline between 1-4%. http://www.amazon.com/...admill/dp/B002IN6LKA

Edit: and another thing is that the front base and controls don't vibrate or move around when running on it. Make sure you run on your model first. Several of the Livestrong models have too much front base/control panel movement/shaking for my liking.
Last edited by: 3Aims: Jan 4, 12 11:39
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [Cmikul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cmikul wrote:
let me preface this by saying I don't know anything about treadmills.

But...I have one that I bought used from someone that was using it as a clothes rack.

I don't use any functions other than the fan.
I only run on manual
I do use the incline everytime I run.
the biggest deficiency that I wished I was aware of before BESIDES deck width is the cushioning.

Mine has an air cushion which makes it very squishy. and sometimes the belt actually wiggles if landing hard and will cause you to fall.
My machine forces me to concentrate on running with light steps thus smoothly because of this but I think it's so dangerous that no one else uses it.

I think it was more intended to be a walker than a running treadmill. I don't know the brand. I think it's a Horizon T620 or something close to that. Came from Sears.

Will probably upgrade when someone needs to sell a better clothes hanger.

I agree with this - I 'inheireted' one from my Mom when she moved, and I don't like it. I spend 150 days a week on the road, and so am used to hotel / health club mills, so the wiggly, slippy, noisy one bugs me... I tried it again last night, I feel like - besides the bouncing - that my foot is causing the belt to hesitate at every strike...actually had a sore knee when I got off... cripes, listen to me whine...lol

Anyway, roundabouts way to say look for frame construction, deck thickness and weight, too...
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [The Authority] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Authority wrote:
Devlin wrote:
BMANX wrote:
I like it when the 184 post guy is telling the 3900 post guy to use the search function. Like I did not already do that but yes like you mentioned, I have specific questions about these two models and would like others useful input.

Thanks for the link and I will take a look over there.


The "Authority" is paulo. Way more than 3900 posts, esp. if you include his first nick, smartasscoach.

John


Someone is wrong on the Internet! What should I do???

start a facebook group for "internet information awareness"

_________________________________________________
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about Treadmills. [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just something to keep in mind if you do pull the trigger on a treadmill: the overall size and weight. I went for a Nordic Track a few years ago with a bigger track area. After wrestling it down into the basement, it will never come out again.

Travis Rassat
Vector Cycle Works
Noblesville, IN
BikeFit Instructor | FMS-Certified | F.I.S.T.-Certified
Toughman Triathlon Series
Last edited by: Travis R: Jan 4, 12 12:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next