Don’t hesitate to drop a reply if you have any questions/comments & I’ll aim to get back to you ASAP. Happy reading….
Ironman Arizona Triathlon – November 20, 2011
Race Totals: 9:29:29
Swim: 1:08:58 (79th in age group / 482nd o’all)
Bike: 5:01:50 (22.26 mph – off the bike 17th in age group & 140th o’all)
Run: 3:12:13 (7:20 per mile – finished 2nd in age group & 69th o’all)
Complete race results posted here.
(1) bottle w/ (2) scoops of EFS + (1) SaltStick & (1) Accel Gel (Chocolate) before getting in the water
1:08:58 (79th in age group / 482nd o’all)
5:01:50 (22.26 mph – off the bike 17th in age group & 140th o’all)
- (2) EFS/CarboPro/SaltStick Bottles (each containing):
EFS: (2) scoops
CarboPro: (3) scoops
SaltStick Capsules: Contents of (3) capsules
- (1.5 sleeves) Clif Shot Bloks – Margarita
- (2) EFS Liquid Shot Flask + the contents of (1) SaltStick Capsule added to each flask
- (4) Accel Gel Chocolate
- Approx 10oz of on-course PowerBar Perform
- (1) 2nd Surge
- ½ Banana
- (2) SaltStick Capsules
- Periodic sips of water at each aid station
Bike Nutrition Totals:
- Calories: 2774 (555 per hour)
- CHO: 671g (134 per hour)
- Sugar: 284g (57 per hour)
- Sodium: 5593mg (1119 per hour)
- Potassium: 2268mg (454 per hour)
- Caffeine: 180mg (36 per hour)
*For reference, Sean raced at ~152LBS [Hourly Caloric Intake (Bike): 3.65 calories /LB per hour]
3:12:13 (7:20 per mile – finished 2nd in age group & 69th o’all)
- (2) EFS Liquid Shot Flask + the contents of (1) SaltStick Capsule added to each flask (actually consumed 1-full flask & approximately ¾ of the 2nd)
- (1) Accel Gel
- (1) SaltStick
- (1) ‘cup’ of PowerBar Perform & Coke taken at every aid station
*Alternated between Perform, Coke & water through 13-miles & then switched to Coke & water to the end [approx 1.5oz of each at (24) stations]
Run Nutrition Totals:
- Calories: 1360 (425 per hour)
- CHO: 342g (107 per hour)
- Sugar: 238g (75 per hour)
- Sodium: 1966mg (615 per hour)
- Potassium: 696mg (218 per hour)
- Caffeine: 123mg (39 per hour)
*The run calculations are assuming ~1.5oz of PowerBar Perform & ~1.5oz of Coke consumed at each of the 1st (13) aid stations & then exclusively Coke & water for the remaining (10) aid stations.
As you can see, Sean's hourly caloric intake is very high (even higher than '10 IMF Champ James Cunnama who's report we posted HERE). We came to this mark by continuously experimenting w/ a higher & higher intake strategy which Sean tolerated well. He also felt at the higher intake (about 25% more than we had done in previous IMs), he was able to maintain power output in the latter stages of the ride - better than he had at the lower #. Given that Sean is also a very strong runner, another concern was being able to process this many calories & still run well. Obviously he was able to do this, having the fastest run split in his age group.
Now if we can only do something about his swim :)))
As noted, if you have any questions please drop a reply or if it’s something that you feel is better handled offline, please shoot me an e-mail (Brian@PersonalBestNutrition.com).
1st Endurance, Bonk Breaker, CarboPro, etc...
SlowTwitch Discount: STWITCH