Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Iphone on HIM course [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

USAT rule seems totally clear also. Personal audio device is anything that can make a noise, period. How is this not clear?

i. Unauthorized Accessories. No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset, radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

My wife's insulin pump makes a noise. My watch makes a noise. A non-smartphone makes several noises. my bike computer makes a noise, my gps talks. . . . . . . . All of them make a noise, yet none of them are a "personal audio device."

That is how it is not clear.

If you walked up to 100 people, held out an iphone or android phone, and asked them to describe it, not one person would define it as "a personal audio device"
Last edited by: brycebaird: Sep 8, 14 14:41
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

USAT rule seems totally clear also. Personal audio device is anything that can make a noise, period. How is this not clear?

i. Unauthorized Accessories. No participant shall, at any time during the event, use or wear a hard cast, headset, radio, personal audio device, or any other item deemed dangerous by the Head Referee. Any violation of this Section shall result in a variable time penalty.

That's far from clear:
  1. Nowhere is personal audio device defined, much less defined as largely as you suggest. My 910XT makes a variety of noises. The new Edge 1000 looks more like my iPhone than a bike computer.
  2. It prohibits "using" or "wearing" the listed devices. Under that rule then, I should be fine if I stuff my iPhone in my saddle bag and never take it out.

Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [ddsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddsg wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

That's far from clear:
  1. Nowhere is personal audio device defined, much less defined as largely as you suggest. My 910XT makes a variety of noises. The new Edge 1000 looks more like my iPhone than a bike computer.
  2. It prohibits "using" or "wearing" the listed devices. Under that rule then, I should be fine if I stuff my iPhone in my saddle bag and never take it out.

Yep, if you put it in your saddle bag and no one ever sees it, you would be fine.

Man, we wonder why we have such an issue with rules. Are you a lawyer?

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [brycebaird] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
brycebaird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

My wife's insulin pump makes a noise. My watch makes a noise. A non-smartphone makes several noises. my bike computer makes a noise, my gps talks. . . . . . . . All of them make a noise, yet none of them are a "personal audio device."

That is how it is not clear.

If you walked up to 100 people, held out an iphone or android phone, and asked them to describe it, not one person would define it as "a personal audio device"

As I said, I guess this is just way above the pay grade of many. What time did the sun come up this morning?

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [ddsg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ddsg wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

That's far from clear:

Nope ddsg, they get you with Rule 5.8, which prohibits carrying the prohibited items mentioned in rule 3.4

5.8 Illegal Equipment. Any participants who any time uses, wears or carries a headset, radio, headphones, personal audio device, or any other item described in Section 3.4(i) shall be assessed a variable time penalty.
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [manitou820] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, once the Garmin 920 comes out with the Mini-SIM card then you have a phone in a watch and as it is "just" a sport watch you can use it :). Garmin has their "watch my ride" or whatever it is called feature. Works great as long as you are in a cell service area but some courses are not (the old IMC course had lots of dead spots).

With my son I find it quite useful as I get real time data streaming from his ride. And with my other Son who is a Para, I could see where he is on course. Something that is great to be able to do when it is his first time on a course and we just don't know how he'll be doing - hills are a real killer. So, when he is overdue, we can see where he is.

Oh, and I suspect the 920 won't have a Micro-SIM card but I'd love it if it did.

BC Don
Pain is temporary, not giving it your all lasts all Winter.
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [BCDon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I received definitive word that a smartphone may be stored in the off position in a jersey or pocket or bike bag. If a smartphone is mounted on a bike, it is grounds for a time penalty, not disqualification. Hopefully USAT will formally amend the rules to reflect this interpretation, because as it stands now, there is no way you could read the rules and know this. I hope they allow a mounted phone that can be used as a bike computer, but if not, I hope they at least make it clear that a smartphone, or any phone is not prohibited.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brycebaird wrote:
I received definitive word that a smartphone may be stored in the off position in a jersey or pocket or bike bag. If a smartphone is mounted on a bike, it is grounds for a time penalty, not disqualification. Hopefully USAT will formally amend the rules to reflect this interpretation, because as it stands now, there is no way you could read the rules and know this. I hope they allow a mounted phone that can be used as a bike computer, but if not, I hope they at least make it clear that a smartphone, or any phone is not prohibited.

So, where did you get the definitive word?

The only person who can do this is Charlie. So, do you have something in writing from him you can post?

It has always been the case that if the unit is not seen or heard ever in the race, kinda tough to get a penalty since an official has to see the violation. I would be surprised if they put this in writing since
it really is already there.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

It has always been the case that if the unit is not seen or heard ever in the race, kinda tough to get a penalty since an official has to see the violation. I would be surprised if they put this in writing since

Well, Rule 3.3(e) provides that you must self report a rules violation:

3.3 General Conduct. At or during an event, or while at the event site, all participants must . . . . .
(e) After violating any of the Competitive Rules, report such violation to the Head Referee or retire from the event.

The fact that one can get away with something isn't really a reason for doing it. If you went to an ironman event, and stashed your phone, it would be a rules violation, even if you never got caught. I've never carried a cell phone or smart phone at any Ironman. I don't like WTC's no cell phone rule, but to their credit they made it clear in an extremely simple one-sentence rule that is not subject to subjective interpretation, and I have always respected it.

As for the rule already being there, it absolutely is not. There is no rule prohibiting a smart phone from being mounted to your bike. There is no rule prohibiting a simple cell phone from being mounted to your bike. There is no rule prohibiting you from whipping out your simple cell phone and talking, or texting-one number key at a time-while riding or running. You could not read the rules and know that a smartphone is illegal if mounted and ok if in a jersey. I was DQ'd for having a smartphone zipped away in a jersey. A phone I never touched during the race.

I do have something in writing, and I do not have explicit permission to post, so unless I do, and I haven't asked, I will not. But the interpretation is exactly as it was stated by the race official at the Canandaigua Tri: Smart phone mounted, not allowed. smart phone off an in a jersey, allowed.
Last edited by: brycebaird: Sep 10, 14 11:13
Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [feman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was at USAT AG Naitonals this year for the Athlete's meeting. The head offical explicitly said that phones where OK on the course as long as they were in your saddle bag. He said it was so that a racer could contact someone in case of an emergency.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
brycebaird wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

Well, Rule 3.3(e) provides that you must self report a rules violation:

3.3 General Conduct. At or during an event, or while at the event site, all participants must . . . . .
(e) After violating any of the Competitive Rules, report such violation to the Head Referee or retire from the event.

The fact that one can get away with something isn't really a reason for doing it. If you went to an ironman event, and stashed your phone, it would be a rules violation, even if you never got caught. I've never carried a cell phone or smart phone at any Ironman. I don't like WTC's no cell phone rule, but to their credit they made it clear in an extremely simple one-sentence rule that is not subject to subjective interpretation, and I have always respected it.

As for the rule already being there, it absolutely is not. There is no rule prohibiting a smart phone from being mounted to your bike. There is no rule prohibiting a simple cell phone from being mounted to your bike. There is no rule prohibiting you from whipping out your simple cell phone and talking, or texting-one number key at a time-while riding or running. You could not read the rules and know that a smartphone is illegal if mounted and ok if in a jersey. I was DQ'd for having a smartphone zipped away in a jersey. A phone I never touched during the race.

I do have something in writing, and I do not have explicit permission to post, so unless I do, and I haven't asked, I will not. But the interpretation is exactly as it was stated by the race official at the Canandaigua Tri: Smart phone mounted, not allowed. smart phone off an in a jersey, allowed.

If this is USAT, unless it is from Charlie, in writing, and you can post, ....

We just have different takes on this.

Quote Reply
Re: Iphone on HIM course [RallySavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RallySavage wrote:
I was at USAT AG Naitonals this year for the Athlete's meeting. The head offical explicitly said that phones where OK on the course as long as they were in your saddle bag. He said it was so that a racer could contact someone in case of an emergency.

Well, the head official at the Michigan Titanium, after arguing with me about my phone and telling me I would be DQ'd if I carried it, got on the PA and told every participant in earshot that if they carried a smartphone on the course, in any manner, they would be DQ'd for committing a "flagrant" violation of USAT rules. He then made every participant raise their hand to acknowledge that they heard the announcement. He reasoned that it would be a flagrant violation because he specifically stated the "rule." Of course he explicitly covered other rules as well, but he did not apply his "ad hoc" DQ rule to drafting or position fouls.

The official is on this forum, and I have contacted him, but I have heard no explanation from him as to why he tried to enforce a rule that doesn't exist, and why he DQ'd me for engaging in legal conduct (carrying a stowed-away phone) or even if I had left the phone mounted, when the appropriate sanction for that was, and only was, a time penalty. I'm sure he would say he DQ'd me for arguing with him about the "rule," but he didn't know the rule, so, there's that.
Last edited by: brycebaird: Sep 10, 14 12:35
Quote Reply

Prev Next