Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question
Quote | Reply
Are either of your companies worried about people you sponsor getting busted for doping? Are you guys protected against anything that might come with a rider getting caught?

Just wondering as we sit here and wait for Tyler's verdict.....
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question [madisonbucky] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"We sit"... do you like to speak in the plural, or you think that "we" are waiting for the verdict?

-
"Yeah, no one likes a smartass, but we all like stars" - Thom Yorke

smartasscoach.tri-oeiras.com
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question [smartasscoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"we" as in any one who's followed the story and is interested.

if you're not...then you're not part of my we.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't speak for Gerard and Herbert, but most companies have clauses in the contracts protecting them (financially) from these sort of things.

Shawn
TORRE Consulting Services, LLC
http://www.TORREcs.com

Last edited by: ShawnF: Mar 30, 05 7:10
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well,
Our contracts actually do not specifically deal with performance drugs but addresses that athletes are required to "represent the sponsor in a positive manner" and to "compete with great sportsmanship" etc. so that addresses the issue.
If an athlete gets the B sample back positive, I think it is time to part ways.
Herbert
Litespeed/QR
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do you guys ever make an athlete take a test before they sign the contract?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you have to ask an athlete to take a doping test before you sign them to a contract, why would you even bother. Besides, most athletes would be offended and they rightfully should be.

Shawn

Quote Reply
Re: Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"If you have to ask an athlete to take a doping test before you sign them to a contract, why would you even bother. Besides, most athletes would be offended and they rightfully should be. "

I guess b/c if I was putting my name on the line for an athlete who was participating in a sport plagued by doping accusations - I'd want them to assure my team they were clean. It's nothing personal - it's just business....let's not kid ourselves.

Didn't Asics ask you to take a drug test before they hired you? I don't know many companies that don't require a drug test before you start a job with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
bump
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You make some valid points. However, when lawyers get involved, it's never that simple. And in most cases, when athletes are signed they are hired on as third party consultants, not employees.

Shawn

Quote Reply
Re: Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, we have such a clause in all our contracts. You dope, you're out, and we reserve the right to take whatever other action we feel appropriate. I have no patience for that stuff.

The reason we reserve the right to further action is because I think the relative indemnity of doping offenses is one of the reasons it continues. Canseco doesn't have to pay back the millions he made while doping, in fact he's even making more now. Or Philip Meirhaeghe, he made millions in mountainbiking, got busted for EPO and now is happily retired in his enormous villa. I think teams and sponsors should have clauses that not only terminate the contracts, but also require the athlete to pay back any salary or sponsorship fees they received. That would seriously tip the scale of the risks and benefits of doping.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question [gerard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's great, thanks for the response. I'm actually really glad to hear that...

For a sponsor to help deter the behavior is another part of the solution...too easy for people to cheat for a few years, make their money, and retire - though shamefully.

Do you guys test your athletes before? Or just let them know that if they mess up - they're out? Has it ever happened before?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The athletes are subjected to random tests already, I don't think a test upon signing a contract, i.e. announced, would add anything. And on top of that, there are obviously a lot of legal issues surrounding testing, so I doubt we could even do it if we wanted to. WADA and national federations obviously have figured out how to do all this legally correct, so best to leave it up to them.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess this is a hot topic today.

Herbert
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
good stuff, thanks for digging it up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hooray! Thank you for your post -- I think you have the right attitude.

mm
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question [mullinsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
check the date on his post.

we'll know soon enough if gerard stuck to his guns when cervelo and csc inked this years contract.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how long have you been waiting to respond to this? :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]how long have you been waiting to respond to this? :)[/reply]

Hey, I had actually responded first. :-)
I just knew that this topic would come up again today for some reason and thus I bumped it.

Herbert

Litespeed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This was Gerard's comment a couple of days ago to the "impending sense of doom" thread.

[reply][reply]
Is it just me or does anyone else here feel like the bottom is about to drop out the Tour de France any minute.
[/reply]

No, this will be excellent. People with a bit of knowledge of the scene know there have been two groups of riders the past few years, and one group is being dealt a pretty serious blow. The other group is going to sleep with a smile on their face each night these days. The only problem they have is that they risk being judged by association. But look at it this way, 15 of 30 Liberty riders allegedly were customers of this ring, even though the others obviously had easy access to it too. The other 15 deserve respect, not ridicule.

This will be an awesome Tour, I only feel sorry for Vino as he risks getting punished for something that likely doesn't have anything to do with him.[/reply]

Oh, the irony of it all.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's not a very efficient way to use a forum if you make the same comment in different threads, so just read my response elsewhere.

Gerard Vroomen
3T.bike
OPEN cycle
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you; I did. I'll stop busting your balls now.

Mr. Uncaptured External Costs

Fossil carbon is planetary poison.
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question [tim-mech] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Gerard/Herbert:

I hear your looking for some new peeps to sponsor.....My P3 and I are ready.
Quote Reply
Re: Gerard / Herbert - Sponsorship Question [dvfmfidc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You really think Herbert wants to sponsor you and your P3.

Quote | Reply
probaly not....but I am clean,,,that is when I shower!
Quote Reply