Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Korea RR-In Depth on How to Miss Sub-10 by 32secs......
Quote | Reply
I figured since I have never posted a “Critique My Fit” or “What Wheel Should I use?” post I would go one step further and throw my in depth race report out here for my first IM and expose myself to all of the ST “experts”. I believe some of you are full of great knowledge and have taken bits and pieces over my short 3 years in this sport and have applied it to my bike set up, training, and just simple advice along the way, so first off thanks Dan for this great place to find some amazing advice. So here goes nothing, putting everything out there for everyone to tear it apart…………..

Pre Race-
I was originally signed up for IM China and got caught up in that whole debacle. After adjusting my leave and re scheduling flights and travel I signed up for IM Korea. Luckily I am stationed in Korea so in theory it would be a great plan to race it. Well I had to go home before the race for my cousins wedding which put me traveling from the US to the race. I flew out on Wednesday from California and landed in Seoul on Thursday, then went from Incheon to Gimpo and arrived to my hotel in Jeju around 2130 Thursday night. Not ideal but it is what it is, all in all it was about 24 hours of travel. I was lucky enough to fly business class from SFO to ICN, so that was a huge help in being able to sleep and be comfortable.
Swim- I am by no means a swimmer and it is my weakest point. It was the focus during the off season and it has been a work in progress. This was the first big mass start that I have encountered with around 880 athletes. I started in the middle of the pack about third row back. I couldn’t get into a rhythm until about 800M in, and in those 800M I was punched, kicked, tugged on, clawed, and who knows what else. My luck the guy in front of me was peeing and I was gulping that down, that is how bad the first 800M were. Once I got into a rhythm all was fine and I settled in. The first lap was un eventful other than the start and the occasional bump in with the rope and small buoys along the side. Exiting the first loop I didn’t get a split and just got back in and got back after it. Didn’t really find anyone to draft off of and was solo most of the time. Just swam at a comfortable pace and felt good throughout the second loop.

T1-
I still didn’t have a clue what my swim time was until I got to my bike and a buddy of mine was outside of transition area and told me I swam around 57 minutes. My first remark was “The course must have been short”. I am in my opinion no means a sub hour swimmer, but who knows it was my first IM and maybe I am, some people were saying the course was legit others were saying a tad short. It is what it is.

Bike-
I went out with a plan and I feel like I executed it. I took the first hour quite easy and concentrated on getting some calories in, after the first 30 minutes and just getting in a rhythm. After the first hour I slowly built into the bike and just kept on going. The bike had one long “climb” and then a lot of rollers, some guys were just smashing up the hills, but luckily with the power meter I was able to maintain the wattage that I wanted and just kept it steady up the hills. Overall I felt I rode a smart race, but below is the power file for all of you “gurus” to analyze. I was surprised by the lack of drafting, as it is Korea and I have raced here quite a bit and it is normally ridiculous. They had actually given out some penalties which surprised me as well. The last 30K we ended up with a group of about 15 riders, most of us rode it clean and legally worked together while we had 2 or 3 in the group that were a little closer. All in all I was pleased with how all the athletes rode, considering it was Korea.
Bike Stats: Link to Power File: http://www.mediafire.com/?8bx3rm84bvbr974
Entire workout (195 watts):
Duration: 5:01:49 (5:18:39)
Work: 3532 kJ
TSS: 228.9 (intensity factor 0.682)
Norm Power: 211
VI: 1.08
Pw:HR: n/a
Pa:HR: n/a
Distance: 0 ft
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 801 195 watts
Cadence: 30 165 82 rpm
Crank Torque: 0 967 206 lb-in
Temperature: 77 91.4 82.8 Fahrenheit

Bike Setup:

Bike: 2008 Cervelo P3C 56cm complete DA7800
Powermeter: DA 7800 Wired SRM w/ PCV
Wheels: ?2008? Flashpoint 60 w/ Zipp Tangente 23mmR/21mmF (butyl tubes)
Aero Helmet- Rudy Project Wingspan w/ front vent completely open
Bento Box: Dark Speed Works
Bottle Setup: 1 mounted between aero bars exiting rearward/1 on down tube/1 behind the seat in a profile designs cage zip tied to seat post.
Cable Routing: Switched brake routing so brakes are reversed, cleaned up front end.

T2-
Man it is funny to watch some people come into transition off the bike. I was sitting about 6th in our group coming in and watched 3 guys all pile up. I was already off to one side of the bike and had a clean get off and my legs amazingly didn’t seize up or anything. I had to wait a few seconds for a bike catcher as there was a cluster from the pile up. I left T2 and I found out that the leader of my AG was 35 minutes up, no big deal I had already read about this guy and he was a pure beast(He ended up winning the overall Amateur race).

Run-
This is where I expected to make up some ground. I had a good first loop was passing a few people here and there. I was struggling a bit to get in the calories; I just didn’t feel like eating but was forcing the gel in and trying to keep it down. I held off on the Pepsi till about mile 7, but then I felt the need for that extra kick. When the second loop started this is where things started to fall apart. On the start there is a steep downhill, followed by a short flat then about 1K gradual uphill. The clouds parted at this time the sun came out and WOW did my body absorb all of that sun. I felt like I was melting and just needed to get to that aid station. Once I made it here I drenched myself in ice water and took in some more pepsi. The 2nd place female passed me at this point, Maki from Team TBB. I started running with her and held on for about 4-5 miles. With about 800 meters till the turnaround I started walking again and off she went. I made it to the turnaround re cooled down and got some more pepsi. At this time two guys from our bike group came up and we ended up running together for 9 of the last 10K. We ran the last 9K together and up the last hill they continued on and I slowed back to a walk. I had mentally checked out as I did some math and my Garmin said 25 miles and the time of day was 1657, meaning I was not going to break 10. I glanced back around the same time and realized a guy in my AG was coming. I was not sure if he was on his first lap or second so I started running again, well it was more like a trot. Then came the last downhill, I got to see the 2 guys that I had ran the last 9K with cross the line in what looked like sub 10. The one guy crossed it in 9:59:59, but the official time ended up being 10:00:02, I felt pretty bad for him as he was pushing it hard at the end. At least his finishing picture will show sub 10 ;) As for me I crossed the line at 10:00:31 officially and couldn't of been happier, my first IM was complete!

Run Stats:

Splits:
Swim-58:35
Bike-5:15:57
Run- 3:40:54
Total: 10:00:31* Kona Qualified :)
AG-4th/35(finishers)44(starters)- The top3 in my AG M25-29 were also in the Top 10 Overall including Pros, the Amateur winner was in my AG. I would say our AG was quite stacked, well those first 3 guys ;)!
19th Overall Amateur out of Approx 850
(The results did not have T1/T2 times in them and athlete tracker was not working)
Finish Picture:

Gear:
Wetsuit- 2008 Zoot Zenith
Kit- Kiwami Konami (AWESOME!)
Shoes- Zoot TT 4.0
Glasses- Oakley Jawbones
GPS: Forerunner 305

Nutrition:
Pre Meal- 1 Banana, 2 packets of Quaker Instant Oatmeal (Apple Cinnamon), 1 Thin Sliced Whole Grain Bagel, 1 Cup of Coffee.
Swim- 1 cup of water after first loop
Bike- 2 Concentrated Bottles (1 at start/1 at special needs which was frozen night before) of 4 scoops Perpetum+5oz of EFS Liquid Shot+1 Hammer Gel, 1 packets of Honey Stinger Organic Chews, 2 packs of Clif Blocks, Approx 5 sport bottles of Gatorade, Approx 2 bottles of water. Total Calories: Approx-2800
Run- 2 Gel Flask of 3oz EFS Liquid Shot+2 Hammer Gel, ˝ bottle of Coke at Special Needs, Aprrox 12 small cups of Pepsi, Approx 6 small cups of Gatorade, Approx 12 cups of water, and 20 Gallons of Ice cold water poured over head/body!

I am coached by Team TBB Online Coaching, Coach Scott DeFilippis. He is currently 2 for 2 with his athletes that have done WTC events and qualified for Kona. I have extremely happy with the service that Team TBB is providing with their online coaching and would be more than happy to answer any questions anyone has from the athletes perspective. I started with him back in December and have set new PR's in both the 70.3 and of course my first IM.

So have at it and breakdown my race. Would love to hear what the ST "experts" have to say. And if you don't mind throw down a critique my fit as well, I know it is not the greatest photo, but the one thing I will point out is my helmet does not mate up to my back and there is about a 2-4in gap...........

Thanks for reading!

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea RR-In Depth on How to Miss Sub-10 by 32secs...... [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice report and many congrats. Sounds and looks from your data as though you executed a very solid race especially as this was your first IM. Awesome.

All the best for Kona ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea RR-In Depth on How to Miss Sub-10 by 32secs...... [afbadbrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rocking the American flag at the finish!
I love it! Congrats on a great race and enjoy the Kona prep!

Robert Flanigan

Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea RR-In Depth on How to Miss Sub-10 by 32secs...... [flaniganrj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, with it being 4th of July weekend couldn't pass up the opportunity to cross the line with the American Flag!

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on an awesome race! Do you mind sharing your FTP, height and weight?
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea RR-In Depth on How to Miss Sub-10 by 32secs...... [jellyfish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah no problem. I am 6'1" and 162lbs/72.5KG. The last FTP test I did was back in December, Indoor trainer had just got the SRM and put out 303W for 20 minutes. Took 95% of that and that put it at 287, which would be 3.95W/Kg. I would throw a rough estimate out there now that I am around 320 which would put me around 4.4W/Kg. I will more than likely do an FTP test in the next couple of weeks and I can send you a PM if you would like.

Really, no one wants to critique my bike position or how I didn't run latex tubes, or how I could of saved XX amount of Watts if I would of ran different wheels? Should I of run my Mavic Carbone SLR Clinchers instead of the FP 60's?

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great job! I think the whole kona slot on 1st attempt took the wind out of nit-pickers' sails. You did it!
Can I ask what your max HR is and what kind of HR you would avg for a stand-alone 10k run? I can't believe how fast you are going for how little your heart is beating. I have improved HR efficiency over a 10 year training window (and I ain't comparing or anything) but I can't do much more than jog at 130bpm (w/ 195bpm or so max, 150bpm or so IM race pace but only 10:00m/m so no Kona for me.... yet.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really, no one wants to critique my bike position or how I didn't run latex tubes, or how I could of saved XX amount of Watts if I would of ran different wheels?

No, I want to know what happened to that last mile in the marathon.

Behold the turtle! He makes progess only when he sticks his neck out. (James Bryant Conant)
GET OFF THE F*%KING WALL!!!!!!! (Doug Stern)
Brevity is the soul of wit. (William Shakespeare)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea RR-In Depth on How to Miss Sub-10 by 32secs...... [johnthesavage] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
johnthesavage wrote:
Can I ask what your max HR is and what kind of HR you would avg for a stand-alone 10k run?

I am not sure what my "Max" is, but I run my percentages in Sporttracks and my Garmin off of the 220-Age formula which would put me at 195. The last open 10K that I ran was back in December and below is the data for it. Let me know if you have any other questions, I ran that 10K officially in 37:10 (http://aftriathlonguy.blogspot.com/...y-xmas-training.html).

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we want to hear about how the only way you could beat the Wongstar was if she crashed into the windshield of a minivan!

:: I came, I saw, I conquered. then I ran out of money, crashed into a car during an Ironman, and now work a bad-ass job making prosthetic legs for wounded warriors. ::

the blog: My So-Called Civilian Life :: theWongstar.com :: follow me @theWongstar
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea RR-In Depth on How to Miss Sub-10 by 32secs...... [Wongstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wongstar wrote:
we want to hear about how the only way you could beat the Wongstar was if she crashed into the windshield of a minivan!

LMAO...........Nice one Wongstar, but..................I out swam you ;) I know ST will bash me for throwing that out there that I out swam you, but thats all I have. O and you didn't pass me on the bike ;) O gosh now I am comparing myself to female pros, this is not going anywhere. Other than I got chicked by Kate and Maki.............Best of luck with your future endeavors!

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
since when is outswimming me a big accomplishment? ;)

oh yes...you need to mention I swam a 1:02! that's a BIG FREAKIN DEAL!!! :D

:: I came, I saw, I conquered. then I ran out of money, crashed into a car during an Ironman, and now work a bad-ass job making prosthetic legs for wounded warriors. ::

the blog: My So-Called Civilian Life :: theWongstar.com :: follow me @theWongstar
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Brad, I think you know about the tubes and wheel cover already! Aren't you going to mention that you stopped to pee? Always pee your pants! Especially when racing. Rules to live by.

Know what, it doesn't matter, you're going to The Show.

Bike position looks GREAT. My prescription for you is to contact RaceDayWheels.com and reserve an 808 Firecrest carbon clincher set for Kona, and then go out and get a dozen latex tubes and practice putting them on and off without causing a flat. I rented a 1080 rear from Marc for Kona last year and couldn't have been happier with the service. I ran an 808 tubular front and 1080 tubular rear. If I were going back this year I'd do 808 FC tubular front and 1080 rear.

For your next WTC Ironman Kona qual attempt, or whenever every second *really* counts, I'd recommend renting an 808 FC CC front and putting a wheel cover on your rear wheel.

I'm too lazy to pull up AFM's charts and the wheel charts and do the math, but I'd say you could save 5 minutes on the IM bike leg at Kona with your wheels tires and tubes choices.

That and some improved biking fitness and you could potentially bike 4:59 or better on a good wind day at Kona.

OK, enjoy the rest! No rush... take a few weeks off to absorb the effort and then rebuild. Name of the game is "humidity adaptation" and the ability to stay aero while climbing or going 7mph into a headwind.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea RR-In Depth on How to Miss Sub-10 by 32secs...... [Wongstar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Wongstar wrote:
since when is outswimming me a big accomplishment? ;)

oh yes...you need to mention I swam a 1:02! that's a BIG FREAKIN DEAL!!! :D

Just when you swim 62 minutes you are retiring?

Brad, congrats....nice to see the work pay off...have a blast in Kona and then you can spend your youth focusing on short course just like all the ITU pros do.....there is plenty of time to do the long stuff when you get to Crowie and Macca's age. Here is something to consider....all the pros who went long course when they were young are slower than their peer at long course now (Hellriegel, Lothar Leder etc). All the guys the same age who raced ITU (Crowie, Macca) are still fast.

Anyway, great job....I won't venture into what would save you the 32 seconds.....the absolute easiest answer is 1 second per K for the final 30K and a bit of a sprint in the final, but that's the hard way...probably a ton of easy ways elsewhere!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea RR-In Depth on How to Miss Sub-10 by 32secs...... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Just when you swim 62 minutes you are retiring?

SIGH... Leaving teamTBB is NOT the same as retiring! see the other thread: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...post=3421743#3421743

now stop spreading lies about me :)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
congrads on ur first IM and KONA slot,

thanks for the race report

Follow me on Twitter @CK21TRHC
I use what I love: ISM, Blue70, Trek, FLO
Quote Reply
Re: IM Korea RR-In Depth on How to Miss Sub-10 by 32secs...... [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dev-

Thanks man! I plan on focusing on the short course stuff till about 32-33, but who knows what life will throw at me. Best of luck in Switzerland and I assume I will be seeing you out in Kona, I plan on giving you a run for your money for the title of the fastest transition time ;)

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
do you know who you're talking to? Dev is the DOUBLE 45-49 world champeen.... Kona AND Clearwater. Show respect.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply