Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Burn fat in the fire of the carbohydrates
Quote | Reply
I was told, that to train your aerobic engine, it is a smart idea to do your long runs before breakfast without any nutrition to get your body to use the body fat. Now I got in a discussion with a friend of mine about that who is a med student and since I tend to be interested in sports medicine to I thought I might ask here and hope for some answers.
Shortened up the fat is broken up to acetyl-CoA and then put into the Kreps-circle. But for doing that you also need puryvate, which as soon as you run out of creatine (which you most probably do in any longer run) your body will build it out of proteine=> muscle. Since thats not something anybody wants to achieve in their training, might it not be better then to get some carbs back into you during your long workout?
Quote Reply
Re: Burn fat in the fire of the carbohydrates [IJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As I understand the Krebs Cycle to work, yes, that is correct. (If this is reference to the Seebohar questions from earlier last week, then I would also add that in the webinar I listened to with him he never advocated a completely carb free training.)

If it is not, then forget I said that, but nevertheless.....
I have his book here at the house and he gives out information on how to calculate the body's needs of carb/protein/fats. He never says to avoid carbohydrates, simply to choose the timing carefully and thoughtfully. Fat will break down into components that produce glucose for use by the body. He talks about glucogenesis in the book as well. What he does advocate is to change the way you mix those macronutrients during specific periods in training (base, build, etc.) to help with performance and weight loss.

I don't know that I would train his way 100%, but he does have some interesting points and for someone with diagnosed hypoglycemia, it has worked well for me to look at the concepts and apply what I can. I have managed to drop 10 lbs off my frame (5'9", 134 now) and am shooting for those last 4 for race season.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think of it the other way around. Burn carbs in a fat fire. Look at fat as coal. Look at carbs as newspaper. What burns faster and gives off a ton of heat? Carbs do. So if you can train your system to burn a lot of fat and the coal gets going, it will act as a bed of coals to ignite whatever newspaper (carbs) you throw on the fire. Yes, adding carbs to your long and/or high intensity workouts and races is paramount for continued performance above your threshold for a long time. One you burn through your glycogen stores your body wants fast sugar, not slowly converting fat, to keep going. If its not there?....Welcome to Bonktown.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
with training, the body will become more efficient at burning fat. and in my opinion, it's never a great idea to train glycogen depleted.

there's no need to "force" the body to burn fat. it'll do it on its own when it needs to and when the duration/intensity of exercise allows it to.

i'm not sure why creatine is mentioned. phosphocreatine (PCr) is used up very quickly during high intensity exercise and is long depleted before any run becomes a 'long' one.

fat's broken down through b-oxidation which produces the acetyl CoA to be sent to the CAC and further, the ETC for complete oxidation. it is physically impossible to strictly burn fat during a workout. you are ALWAYS burning CHO to some degree, whether it be from exogenous CHO, glycogen, or gluconeogenesis.

the bottom line is, you want to spare endogenous glycogen as much as possible, esp for longer workouts lasting over an hour and this is obviosuly done through CHO supplementation. I don't believe it's necessary in the least to nutritionally deprive yourself for a workout thinking your body will then become 'better' at burning fat. the body becomes more efficient through capillary network expansion, mitochondria size and number increases, type I fiber expansion (which encompasses the capillary/mitochondrial changes), etc.

give your body the energy for what you demand of it, and it'll take care of the rest.
Quote Reply
Re: Burn fat in the fire of the carbohydrates [Fish2587] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Here....fun watching and hey, there is a quiz :)

http://highered.mcgraw-hill.com/...uizProcessingServlet
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
in the morning, before breakfast, your body has ~90 minutes of stored glycogen.

so, attempting to micromanage your body composition in this particular manner wont work.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Burn fat in the fire of the carbohydrates [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jack, studies show that working out before breakfast early in the morning burns more fat than eating first.

I don't know why, it could be that by preventing an insulin response, you're burning more fat. But either way, it's true.

Now, as to the tom-foolery of trying to "train" your body to burn fat, etc. is all hooey in my opinion.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Burn fat in the fire of the carbohydrates [ericM35-39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can believe that, but then at the end of the week, your caloric balance is what it is

ericM35-39 wrote:
Jack, studies show that working out before breakfast early in the morning burns more fat than eating first.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
however, burning more fat doesn't necessarily equal an increase in performance. which, ultimately, is what is trying to be acheived (well, for those in training).

i would argue it may actually detrimental to performance increases.
Last edited by: Fish2587: May 4, 11 14:47
Quote Reply
Re: Burn fat in the fire of the carbohydrates [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it's not as simple as calories in vs. calories out.

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Burn fat in the fire of the carbohydrates [Fish2587] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
that's why I said "hooey"

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
oh i agreed with ya!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply