Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dominant Leg Help?
Quote | Reply
Hey guys,

I've always felt more tired and sore in my left leg rather than my right when both cycling and running. Consequently my left calf and hamstring were always bigger. Last September I broke my right foot and it seems like the problem is even worse since I started training again. I guess I'm favoring my right leg??

So does anyone else have a noticeably dominant leg, and what are some effective ways to catch the other leg back up?

-Jason
Quote | Reply
What I found to balance out my leg output and RPM on the bike was to do single leg cycling drills on the trainer.

Member of the Litespeed Factory Team
www.litespeed.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dominant Leg Help? [jasondubose] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do low cadence big gear work so that the weaker leg can't hide.
Quote Reply
Re: Dominant Leg Help? [curly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
curly wrote:

That's a good idea. I try to focus on working my right leg when I ride, but that only works until I see a squirrel or something else that grabs my attention hahahaha

-Jason
Quote | Reply
I have the same problem, with a weak left leg. I thought stronger and more frequent running would even things out, but apparently not. I would be interested to hear any running-related drills, too.

Quote | Reply
I am right leg/hand dominant. I usually notice my left leg being a bit more muscular than my right, but never really thought about it. When I started hitting the rollers over the winter, my right quad was getting a bigger workout. I thought it was odd that my non-dominant leg was stronger than my dominant one.

After a few weeks that wasn't an issue anymore. Now that I'm riding on the road again, I'm not really sure if I'm reverting to my old ways, and I probably won't find out until next winter again:).

So I'd suggest riding rollers a bit. You really can't cheat your pedal stroke like you can on the road, which should even things out.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jasondubose wrote:
curly wrote:

That's a good idea. I try to focus on working my right leg when I ride, but that only works until I see a squirrel or something else that grabs my attention hahahaha
You have a thing for squirrels.

Quote | Reply
Some sort of rhthym while you are climbing.

1-2-1-2-1-2

with the focus on the weaker leg

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Re: Dominant Leg Help? [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was hit by a car and my left leg was in a cast for two years. Since then my left leg has never regained its strength. I found my right leg did 75% of the work while riding. I bought Power Cranks about a year ago and it has helped even out my legs. I found my weak leg was great at spinning circles where my strong leg was terrible at spinning but put out a lot of power but more like a piston. The power cranks have help but are not perfect. I have to think about using my weak leg. the 1 - 2, 1 -2 method works for me too.
Quote Reply
Re: Dominant Leg Help? [bigskinny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guess I'm an oddball. I'm right leg dominant on the bike, but left leg on the run.

On the bike I've adjusted my position to be more on the left side of the bike to try and compensate and force the left leg to fire.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I suggest you read a Cesar Milan book on how to turn your Dominant leg to a Calm Submissive leg.
Quote Reply
Re: Dominant Leg Help? [triarcher] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
triarcher wrote:
I suggest you read a Cesar Milan book on how to turn your Dominant leg to a Calm Submissive leg.

that's a good idea. maybe the dominant leg is causing my right leg to be more submissive and meek.

-Jason
Quote | Reply
Everybody will have one leg that 'spins' easier than the other based on your level of anterior pelvic tilt. My left leg is much smoother but my right leg is stronger also. I think that is pretty normal.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Last edited by: msuguy512: Apr 13, 11 13:32
Quote Reply
Re: Dominant Leg Help? [msuguy512] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am right handed and whilst I don't seem to notice any power imbalances in running and cycling I do tend to favour my left leg for hard landings and explosive push-offs. What I have noticed is that my left leg is much more defined/cut than my right leg, but my right calf muscle size is a little bigger. The quads and hamstrings are about the same.

Does anyone have a similar difference in appearance between their legs and how have you dealt with it (if at all)?. Cheers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Measure both the quad and the calf at the same spot (the widest) on both legs.
If there's a 2 cm difference or more it's often indicative of a problem with neurological impulse/deficit which results in the muscles to the leg being shut down.
But if you're like most, it's just a question of favoring one leg over the other for your entire life. And the issue issue is perpetuated as you pedal or push off or kick a bit harder with the dominant leg in your 3 sports of choice.
If you're in a sport like soccer or Karate where one may utilize one leg preferentially, that can explain the difference. Also, a history of injury to one leg needs to be considered.
Some tips which have already been mentioned include ILT's on the bike, weight training with the legs working independently of each other (not leg extensions and leg curls and the like), as well as leading with your non-dominant side anytime you go up stairs, etc.
If it's taken a lifetime to get them out of balance, you'll never get them perfectly equal. But the above suggestions should help.
Good luck.
--Andrew
Quote Reply
Re: Dominant Leg Help? [Drewdini] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Drewdini wrote:
Measure both the quad and the calf at the same spot (the widest) on both legs.
If there's a 2 cm difference or more it's often indicative of a problem with neurological impulse/deficit which results in the muscles to the leg being shut down.
But if you're like most, it's just a question of favoring one leg over the other for your entire life. And the issue issue is perpetuated as you pedal or push off or kick a bit harder with the dominant leg in your 3 sports of choice.
If you're in a sport like soccer or Karate where one may utilize one leg preferentially, that can explain the difference. Also, a history of injury to one leg needs to be considered.
Some tips which have already been mentioned include ILT's on the bike, weight training with the legs working independently of each other (not leg extensions and leg curls and the like), as well as leading with your non-dominant side anytime you go up stairs, etc.
If it's taken a lifetime to get them out of balance, you'll never get them perfectly equal. But the above suggestions should help.
Good luck.
--Andrew

Wow so I actually measured and it looks like there's only about .25-.5" different between one calf and the other. Definitely good news. I'm going to try out the exercises everyone mentioned today. I know everyone hates on Power Cranks, but I'd definitely try them if I had $1k to spare.

-Jason
Quote | Reply
I was always told to do plyometrics/balance exercises and don't focus more on one leg than the other, and that the other leg will eventually catch up to the stronger one. The theory was that injury could occur by doing more with one leg vs. the other. However, I'm sure if you were smart with it, one-leg work could help. I've been trying to try using my non-dominant leg more consciously - for example, beginning my runs with my non-dominant leg rather than the dominant one. It feels really weird - don't know if it does anything, but hasn't been hurting anything either.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I do single leg exercises with weights, single leg balance standing, leg drills on the bike. That has seemed to help me quite a bit.
Quote Reply