Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How to prepare for hot weather races without having access to hot weather.
Quote | Reply
I have a road race coming up in a couple of weeks. Its short, just a little longer than 5k, but it is located in Singapore, and I am located in Western NY. The high temps this time of year are in the low 40s, and race day could be north of 85 and extremely humid. Any of you warm weather folks in Texas or Florida have some advice for real hot weather running?
Quote Reply
Re: How to prepare for hot weather races without having access to hot weather. [RFXCrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you have access to a sauna at a gym, you can work on increasing your heat tolerance by sitting in a sauna and increasing the duration you're in there until your race....you only have a couple weeks so not an ideal amount of time to really ramp up the heat tolerance but probably much better then doing nothing. Do a net search on sauna training for running and you should get a lot of hits. With only 2 weeks don't try any of the wackiness you might find like actually trying to workout in the sauna...just sitting in the sauna will provide you with benefits!

good luck!
Quote Reply
Re: How to prepare for hot weather races without having access to hot weather. [RFXCrunner] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RFXCrunner wrote:
Its short, just a little longer than 5k [..]

'Nuff said? Oh, and show up well hydrated and with a clean (and dry!) set of clothes to change into after the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You do exactly the same thing that Buddy Edelen did back in the days before tech fabrics. You over dress for every run for week, making sure you break out into a terrible sweat on every one.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RFXCrunner wrote:
I have a road race coming up in a couple of weeks. Its short, just a little longer than 5k, but it is located in Singapore, and I am located in Western NY. The high temps this time of year are in the low 40s, and race day could be north of 85 and extremely humid. Any of you warm weather folks in Texas or Florida have some advice for real hot weather running?

just hydrate well, too late to do any serious heat training

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RFXCrunner wrote:

We're from the Rochester area and me wife just did the San Juan 70.3 on March 19th so we can relate. We were able to arrive over a week early and that helped a ton.
I would suggest that doing a good number of your last workouts on the treadmill with limited fan usage will go a huge ways towards helping you adapt. We drove
everywhere with the car heater on high the last couple of weeks before leaving. Most importantly, 5k is so short you won't have much time to suffer.

Hugh

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: How to prepare for hot weather races without having access to hot weather. [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There's more than a couple of studies showing profound heat adaptation in two weeks of daily exposure.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Every day for two weeks, walk or jog lightly while getting the temperature around your body up to 95 degrees or so.

Throw on an extra sweatshirt to do this, put a meat thermometer under your sweatshirt to see if you are getting there. Your sweating should be ample.

You can look into the army ranger guide for heat acclimatization for a reference. Although they assume you are already in a hot environment, in your case you need to create one.
Quote Reply
Re: How to prepare for hot weather races without having access to hot weather. [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree with some others. Just overdress for a couple weeks leading up to the race. It will help you practice the needed hydration amounts as well. Besides, the added 2lbs of damp clothing is like a little strength training anyway. Sort of like using a drag suit swimming. You'll feel super light and fast come race time.

TrainingBible Coaching
http://www.trainingbible.com
Quote Reply
Re: How to prepare for hot weather races without having access to hot weather. [Kevin in MD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kevin in MD wrote:
There's more than a couple of studies showing profound heat adaptation in two weeks of daily exposure.

X2

The weeks of daily exposure, minimum 15 minutes daily will cause significant heat acclimatization. You will start sweating earlier, have high sweat rates (more cooling capacity), and the concentration of salts in your sweat will decrease. With that said, be conscious of your fluid/electrolyte balance... weigh yourself before and after the sauna and rehydrate and balance out your losses.

Be aware this is a metabolic stresser on your body, so plan accordingly.

Good luck!

Tom
http://cycnut.com

First rule of Zombieland: Cardio.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
how many of those studies focus on elite athletes who are at doing large training volumes? My point is that planning these things out 6-8 weeks ahead is easier achieve. I know doing a 2 week crash protocol would not be realistic for myself as I would have to change my entire training schedule.

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RFXCrunner wrote:
Train on a treadmill in a room with the heater on to 85 degrees.

Quote | Reply
Set up your trainer in a laundromat!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I needed to do this, I would run wearing a LS shirt, then my Desoto wetsuit vest over it, then a light jacket over all that.
Neoprene paddling gloves on the hands, and a fleece hat over a wicking headband. Tights, warm socks.
Bundling up like this, you get hot and sweaty in a hurry.

I would only do shorter/easier runs and rides this way, as I still wanted to do the main workouts of the week w/o the faux heat issues so I could hit them hard.
I think it helped. YMMV.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just did 8 miles of intervals on a dread mill in a small room (10x15) with no air circulation and on a second floor (heat rises) probably was the hardest run i did all week. If you have access to any room like that over dress a bit and have a go at it till a week before the race.

Re: How to prepare for hot weather races without having access to hot weather. [realAlbertan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took me 55 seconds to find this one, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...3895/?tool=pmcentrez granted it is only a case study but the ranger guise to heat acclimatization is meant for soldiers, not exactly elite athletes but not exactly slugs on the couch.

I suspect you can find more studies with a little more time on pubmed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have responded, you can go a long way to acclimatization with treadmill runs with no fan plus a shirt; having a layer of air trapped close the body will heat things up quickly. The main thing is to sweat heavily several times. A practical aspect of this has to do with the content of your sweat which will change rapidly. That first heavy sweat will be VERY salty and will sting your eyes. In my own personal experience this can be problematic because you simply can't see (major problem on a bike). Within a few days your sweat will be more dilute and not so blinding.
Also, the fact that the race is short actually makes heat acclimatization more important because you will likely run at higher intensity.
Cheers,
Jim
Quote Reply