Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I like you very much but you don't have your Finding Freestyle people timing splits on a watch do you? If so have them Find the Pace Clock.

Of course not - I was making a joke about the ubiquitous wristwatch in the triathlon set! Not a very deft attempt as it turns out. :)

r.b.

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [robertwb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I went to the Y and it is closed for Veteran's Day! :-( no swim for tc today it appears.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [HAssRing] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply... it's reasonable that my T-500 is slightly faster and I definitely started to run out of gas in the end of the 30 mins.[/reply]
Yeah, this is very interesting. I had not really thought about comparing ones performance on these two tests as a means of evaluating a swimmers fitness - but it certainly is an appealing hypothesis. Gonna look into that, and stay tuned to the comparisons as the month goes along. Maybe a survey at the end of the month to see how the comparisons of these two metrics jibe with self-assessed fitness level.

r..

Bringing you Tweets @ http://twitter.com/findfreestyle and Not just a bunch of drills - A Process.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you're comparing two different things but it could be useful.

If your 30 min TT time is slower than your 500 y would predict it to be, you need to work on threshold

If your 500y time is slower than your 30 min TT predicts it to be, you need to work on vo2 max

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I like you very much but you don't have your Finding Freestyle people timing splits on a watch do you? If so have them Find the Pace Clock.

Of course not - I was making a joke about the ubiquitous wristwatch in the triathlon set! Not a very deft attempt as it turns out. :)

r.b.

Swam FF wk 3 primary workout this morning. You mean I wasn't supposed to be wearing my garmin 310 XT on my right wrist to keep up with distance, and my Timex Ironman Global Trainer on the other wrist to keep up with interval times?? I clearly remember reading that in the workout instructions. What is this pace clock you speak of?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I think you're comparing two different things but it could be useful.

If your 30 min TT time is slower than your 500 y would predict it to be, you need to work on threshold

If your 500y time is slower than your 30 min TT predicts it to be, you need to work on vo2 max
At the pointy end of the field, you're probably right. For myself, I think my technique is still lacking a lot. The shorter the distance, the better I do, but I think it's just dumb muscle. Over a longer distance, even 500m, I can't keep it going and settle into a much slower pace after the first bit. Of course, I haven't been doing the work for decent swim endurance lately either but I think poor technique still plays a bigger factor in the longer TT. Or am I not thinking about this the right way?
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [a_train] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Swam FF wk 3 primary workout this morning. You mean I wasn't supposed to be wearing my garmin 310 XT on my right wrist to keep up with distance, and my Timex Ironman Global Trainer on the other wrist to keep up with interval times?? I clearly remember reading that in the workout instructions. What is this pace clock you speak of?

Well, you got it almost right. You should have either had your quark attached between your shoulder blades, or your powertap on your ankle as well. But, sounds like you are making progress towards being a true swimmer! :)

r.b.

Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [Micawber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
At the pointy end of the field, you're probably right. For myself, I think my technique is still lacking a lot. The shorter the distance, the better I do, but I think it's just dumb muscle. Over a longer distance, even 500m, I can't keep it going and settle into a much slower pace after the first bit.... Or am I not thinking about this the right way?

I think that I agree with you both. The relationship of VO2 to AT is a fairly well accepted metric of training, and one that I think is captured by the T500 and the T30 in conjunction.

To Micawbers point, in swimming, however, I think there is an added factor, which is technique, and I think that your hypothesis is spot on -- poor technique is exacerbated over longer distances, so the relationship between T500 and T30 might be skewed by the technical factor.

Very interesting area of inquiry,
r.b.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After a 3 week layoff from swimming, I'm back doing "greatest hits" quality sets... 5x400 on 5:10, and 5x50 (with 200 easy swim and 10 seconds rest in between each). 400s went well enough, but OUCH on the 50s. Its been too long since the lungs have felt like that from swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [Quantum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK,
Workout #4 of my comeback. Felt better early in the workout, worse by the end (could have been the 3 hours of chain-sawing I did yesterday). FWIW, the threshold pace prediction of 1:19.6 from last Sundays T-500 is rapidly fading into the past - today, repeated 1:18/100 or less for the whole 1650 with only moderate effort level, so I think I am getting back in shape.

warmup
200 easy
5 x 50 on :55
Main Set (broken mile Friday)
3 x [
200 on 2:48
150 on 2:06
100 on 1:24
50 on :42
]
100 on 1:24
50 on :42
250 easy, done as 3 x 75 (float-n-paddle/SoL/Pull) + 25 swim perfect

r.b.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never posted on a forum like this, but I thought I would give it a try.

Did a 30 min TT in meters about 2 weeks ago and swam 2200 meters.

Didn't swim again until yesterday, did 20 x 100 on 1:30 and held last 15 at 1:20 or better for my main set, and that's all I had left to do.

Have been having problems with Plantar Fasciitis so I thought I would take this winter while I am undergoing therapy to get freaky fast at swimming like the old days and get stronger on the bike.

The pool I swim at is going back to yards so what paces should I start at? Will do another 30 min swim in a couple weeks. 500 yard TT planned for tomorrow...see if I can go under 5:30 after about 5 months out of the water.

chris
><>
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [chrishutch84] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ok did 30min TT and came in at 1900 scm.

It was hard work. I will be happy if in two and a half weeks my distance is the same but I do all tumble turns and it is a little less uncomfortable :)

alison
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did something similar this morning:

900 warmup
3x(75/100/150/100/75 on 1:10/1:30/2:15/1:30/1:10, 1:05/1:25/2:15/1:25/1:05, 1:00/1:20/2:15/1:20/1:00) on 8:00

Did (IIRC) :50/1:10/1:45/1:10/:50, :50/1:09/1:44/1:08/:51, :50/1:08/1:52 (slacker)/1:06/:51

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
First off welcome!

In Reply To:
Didn't swim again until yesterday, did 20 x 100 on 1:30 and held last 15 at 1:20 or better for my main set, and that's all I had left to do.
The pool I swim at is going back to yards so what paces should I start at? Will do another 30 min swim in a couple weeks. 500 yard TT planned for tomorrow...see if I can go under 5:30 after about 5 months out of the water.

Well Hutch, sounds like you are in pretty good shape. For what it's worth, you are entered in the postal challenge, and the T30 formula predicted that you could hold about 1:18.4 for a set like 20x200 on 1:30 - so it sounds like a pretty good estimate of threshold pace to me.

As for the conversion, I would say that you should expect to be able to repeat around 1:10s for threshold sets in SCY - but given your background of freaky-fastness, I would guess you might makes leaps and bounds... or be totally destroyed for the first couple of weeks - take your pick.

r.b.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure I went backwards today and I'm about at the point I need a wetsuit. It was COLD out there. Super windy and the waves out by the reef were whitecapped. The tourists were all out in the water and sunbathing but dayum it was COLD (about 25C). The schools of fish are getting larger but they always freak me out when a large one swims towards me (like, what is BEHIND it?). First murky swim of the season - I already miss the crystal clear days.

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [kathy_caribe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok weekly check in-
goals for this week
4 swims- done with total scm at 6,250* incl one set of 4 x 200's on 4:00 (3:09, 3:08, 3:08, 3:08)
2 swims at/over 1900m-done

goals for upcoming week

4 swims- 3 over 1900 scm

most swimming I have done in a week in almost 5 years....
alison
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [Alison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Forgot to post from the other day...2 500TT, 9:07 and 9:11 LCM
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [TryPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Marked it.

The formula puts you at 1:50.3 per 100 m, for your threshold pace (so, you could do say 10-15x100 on 2:05 holding 1:50).

Looking forward to the end of month TT.

r.b.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I usually do 10-12x100m on 2:00 holding 1:45 pretty easily. Should have pushed a bit on the 500s for a more accurate baseline?
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [TryPT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I think you might have a point there -- the fact that you did 2 is probably a contributing factor. The base test would be an all our 500 for time, so the fact that your second one was so close to your firsts makes it seem like it was somewhere less than all out.

regards,
r.b.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HAPPY FACE! After 3 months, it took the 4th month to get the happy face! yay!

(on the spreadsheet)

Also, I wore a t-shirt today and that really helped with the coldness so maybe I won't need a wetsuit afterall. I have to hope the water doesn't get any colder than this....

http://harvestmoon6.blogspot.com
https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/katasmit

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not a member of this challenge so sorry for the threadjack.

TC sent me those Michigan tables last year some time and I refer to them now & then for interval pacing...are you telling me those paces are for yards, not meters?!?!

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply
Re: November Swim Challenge: GOING POSTAL [show pony] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you can use them for either

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Welcome, Chris.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hmmmm, ok...now that I've thought about it, that was dumb question :)

blood, sweat...and big gears

I hated every minute of training, but I said, ''Don't quit. Suffer now and live the rest of your life as a champion.''
- Muhammad Ali
Quote Reply

Prev Next