Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Covering Kona: What are the press/photo policies this year?
Quote | Reply
I'm hearing there is a lock down on press credentials for Kona. -That the only media present will be the media controlled/owned/contracted by/with Ironman.

Is this entirely true? If so, how are the freelance and other publicaton photogs and writers going to work?

Any confirmation? I'm hearing mixed reports.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Covering Kona: What are the press/photo policies this year? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Tom,

I heard you were the photo caption winner from Herbert...free bag of coffee coming your way. ping me so I can get your details.

Mahalo,
Albert
Quote Reply
Re: Covering Kona: What are the press/photo policies this year? [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Covering Kona: What are the press/photo policies this year? [albertboyce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is excellent news!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Covering Kona: What are the press/photo policies this year? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for that resource. My primary question is the transition area- being able to look at (and photograph) the bikes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Covering Kona: What are the press/photo policies this year? [SpicedRum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be interesting to see how this pans out and is received by the general press.

It seems a bit draconian at first glance, but I have personally witnessed blatant abuses of the almost full-access to the course that the press had in the past. Last year I witnessed, a member of the German press riding along on a moto directly in front of and beside one of the top German athletes for an extended period of time actually conducting an interview during the race.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Covering Kona: What are the press/photo policies this year? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Other sports have moved in a similar direction: The live feed from the Tour de France is provided by the race's official television media outlet. In the U.S. we see that feed.

Formula 1 has even greater controls on coverage of their events. The Red Bull Air Races simply decided to control and produce their own production of their events rather than relying on media coverage.

It's an understandable trend as you point out, but it makes it tough on the little guys like me trying to provide a fresh insight to an enthusiast audience. for the forum and internet/enthusiast crowd we want to see photos of the bike set-ups, what people are riding and wearing. The new rules might make this angle impossible.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just want to make sure that the underpants run gets covered well by any media photo guy. and please don't post any pictures of fatties, for that I can just see myself in the mirror
Quote Reply
Re: Covering Kona: What are the press/photo policies this year? [OC Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I just want to make sure that the underpants run gets covered

Indeed. This is the real event of significance in Kona during Ironman Race Week. Forget about all this other nonsense.

Some people take this very seriously, and so they should!

http://www.active.com/...hlon/bvd-sweepstakes

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Just fyi, we will have our own photographer and until further notice he will most probably be "accredited" by WTC. He will post a daily 20 shots, on our website but also on another one to be named yet, and this from Oct 2nd or 3rd til race day.
I could definitely put you in contact with him. I know you are mostly interested by the T1 pensioners and he could put some focus on that.
Just let me know.

Kiwami North America
http://www.kiwamitri.com
http://www.aquamantri.com
contact@kiwamitri.com
http://www.facebook/kiwamitriusa
Quote Reply