Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Boulder 70.3 Atrocious Sportsmanship
Quote | Reply
A close friend of mine raced Boulder 70.3 this weekend, had a terrible bike crash, and I'm posting to (1) ask for your help, and (2) give this community some food for thought.

On the second lap of the bike leg, after making the turn onto St. Vrain, my friend (M30-34) was involved in a nasty crash. As he was passing a woman (she was in the correct position on the right hand side of the lane), he was sideswiped by a cyclist overtaking him. He never saw the cyclist coming from behind, their bars bumped and briefly tangled, and my friend crashed. They were going down a fairly long and somewhat steep hill at the time, and he was going approximately 45 mph when he crashed. The other cyclist did not crash, nor for that matter did he stop, acknowledge the accident, call for help, or do anything other than ride off into the distance.

My friend went over the bars, and though he is not 100% clear on how the impact unfolded, here is a rough idea from the injuries: he impacted his head and broke his helmet in half, though he was not concussed; his left shoulder was dislocated badly and he had road rash from his hand to his toes on his left side; his left elbow was badly damaged - he essentially abraded the knob off the inside of his elbow and required surgery to remove bone fragments and asphalt, and to reattach ligaments; and of course he was covered more or less head to toe in road rash. While he is lucky to be alive, he is facing a lot of rehab, and may have permanent nerve damage in the shoulder and elbow.

On the first request above, I am interested in knowing whether anyone on this forum saw the crash and got the number of the racer who caused the crash. I know it's a long shot, and maybe people wouldn't fess up anyway, but my friend guesses that at least 3 people had a firsthand view of the bump and crash. The racer who caused this crash needs to be contacted, at the very least to explain from his perspective what happened, but possibly to be disqualified. Even if he was not at fault in the crash, and even if he should not be disqualified, riding off knowing that you were a participant in someone crashing going 45 mph is inexcusable. My friend should probably be dead right now, and this a$$hole rode off without so much as acknowledging what had happened.

Secondly, after the crash, my friend was passed by approximately 30 racers who didn't so much as ask whether he was alright. If I may paint the picture, my friend was standing on the side of the road, at the end of long bloody streak, covered in road rash, wearing tatters, bleeding profusely while holding a broken bike (clearly in severe shock, he quickly jumped to his feet and got the bike out of the road to avoid someone else hitting it and crashing), and he was wearing a helmet that was split in half. Roughly 30 people passed him without even making eye contact, without even shouting "are you all right?!" At that point my friend started to despair about how he would get the help he needed, when finally a decent human being stopped to ask if he was okay. That racer (a guy, no one got his name, thank you whoever you are) turned around, rode up the hill, got to the nearest race official and an ambulence was on the way.

The race director and staff were fantastic, the medical professionals were top notch, and there isn't really a better place that I know of to crash a bike than Boulder, Colorado - Boulder Community Hospital is top notch in dealing with bike crashes, for obvious reasons. So let me be clear that this post has nothing to do with race personnel, staff, medical professionals, etc. They were wonderful.

But the person who took part in this crash, and all the people who passed by without helping, need to seriously reexamine their priorities. My friend is a mid-pack triathlete, which means that those athletes passing him were almost certainly not in contention for anything other than possibly a PR. Even if they were racing for the win (probably impossible given the circumstances), I wonder what that's worth in comparison. Instead of giving up perhaps 10 minutes of their race to help out another athlete, a member of this very "community," every one of those people raced on without so much as an acknowledgement. I've been around this forum long enough to know that there are 50 questions, excuses, and rationalizations, but when it really gets right down to the nub of it, is there any reason one of those 30 people couldn't have stopped to help? Is there any excuse for not helping out a fellow athlete in such a dire time of need?

Help if you saw what happened. For the rest, think when you're racing. Don't check your compassion at the door just because you're in a race. Frankly, no one gives a sh!t about your PR, and they would be appalled if they knew it came as a result of you passing a severely injured athlete on the side of the road without helping.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Atrocious Sportsmanship [AdamCO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I spent a bit of time on the bike course that day, but unfortunately didn't get to see that crash or I certainly would have checked on your friend and gotten the other guy's number. I imagine, however, that a lot of people were thinking "that's what the race people are there to handle" without taking the time to realize that if one of the motorcycles wasn't around they'd have no way to know.

I have to say that Boulderites are very helpful in general about bike issues; every time I've been on the side of the road fixing a flat I've had at least a dozen people ask if I needed help as they rode buy in the time it took me to swap tubes. Of course, people get different when racing, and I'm sure there were a lot of out-of-towners here for that.

Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. -Enzo Ferrari
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am very sorry to hear about your friend and the terrible accident he was in and hope he gets better soon. I also agree that we all should think about priorities no matter where we are.

But if you pay close attention to what you posted here, you are basically asking the 30 or so people who passed your friend (seemingly without stopping, helping or inquiring) to assist now and help find the other accident participant. And telling them "frankly no one gives a sh!t about your PR" is not the way to approach getting cooperation.

All the best to your buddy though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just out of curiosity what would you have liked those 30 people to stop and do? Bandage him up with their trisuit? Tell him its going to be okay and yell at someone else to go get help?

I would venture to guess most if not all of those people had no medical experience, and if they did had no means of rendering said medical assistance. So assuming he was standing up on the side of the road concious enough to count how many people went by, it makes a lot more sense for a person to go by the hurt individual to find the next person they see and alert them of the situation instead of stoping there and wasting more time.

Also if your friend was doing 45mph and is mop, then most of the other people are problably the same. at 45 mph on a decent people aren't normally going oooooh look at the pretty trees oh crap there's a wrecked biker they are going oh please god let me not go into the ditch w/ tunnel vision straight down the hill.

As far as the other guy being an asshole... Maybe maybe not, I find it hard to believe that a triathlete hitting another triathlete at 45+ can keep the rubber side down. Since we don't know both sides of the story maybe your friend just freaked when he got passed while trying to make a pass that he lost it, and the guy never say him go down.

I would refrain from calling everyone an asshole unless you have the whole story. That said I hope your friend is okay, two guys went down in front of me at worlds in vancouver a couple years ago at 50ish and it didn't look like much fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Atrocious Sportsmanship [draketriathlon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Tell him its going to be okay and yell at someone else to go get help?

This. I agree with you that maybe not everyone saw the wrecked biker, but several of them surely did. Either requesting that someone else notify the race staff or telling the guy you'll do it yourself seems super easy to me considering the alternative of doing nothing. I agree with the OP. People are a little too self absorbed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If it was me passing at 45 mph I would not have time to yell, nor am I even remotely able to provide competent assistance. What I can do is ride to the next official and let them know there is an accident. Maybe some of those 30 people were doing that.

===============
Proud member of the MSF (Maple Syrup Mafia)
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Atrocious Sportsmanship [CaptainCanada] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankly, at those speeds, if some of those 30 people stopped, there would have been more than just the one accident, as those folks may have been rearended, etc.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Atrocious Sportsmanship [scarbelly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
Tell him its going to be okay and yell at someone else to go get help?

This. I agree with you that maybe not everyone saw the wrecked biker, but several of them surely did. Either requesting that someone else notify the race staff or telling the guy you'll do it yourself seems super easy to me considering the alternative of doing nothing. I agree with the OP. People are a little too self absorbed.

Which I see no problem with but if like the op said he is standing up on the side of the road I'm going to assume he's just banged up and ill go tell the next official. The alternative is not not doing something the alternative is wasting the time that could be spent getting someone.

If he's laying their on the side of the road that's a different story. But like I said besides telling someone else to get help there is no assistance I could render in a triathlon to someone who was bleeding or banged up. Whether I'm joe smoe, a paramadic or a trama surgeon. I have my trisuit and my bike. In all honesty, unless the person wasn't breathing and you know cpr you are truly wasting time sitting next to him when you should be finding the closest person with a cell phone. Since he was standing up concious I would not be as worried and tell the next person I saw.

That said I'm still doubting many mop bikers saw him when blazing down the road at 40+ that's not the time to be zonedout.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your friend.
I'm going to have to agree with what some of the others have written. At 45mph coming down what must be one heck of a hill (back of Old Stage?) I'm doing my best to keep the rubber side down and look for obsticles along the way. If it is the spot on the course I'm thinking of Pamala anderson could have been having a neked orgy with the cast of temptation island and I wouldn't have seen it.
Also if your buddy was up and removing his bike from the road I'm sure most of the 30 or so people thought he was OK. Again it is pretty hard to assess the shape of a person at the speeds you describe.
Whenever I see a cyclist on the side of the road around town i stop to help, but I'm sure most of the racers figured your guy was ok and a race official was already on the way. Now for those that saw him go down, they should have stopped IMHO.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Atrocious Sportsmanship [Ti T'war] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
. Now for those that saw him go down, they should have stopped IMHO.

You still have the same problem though, you stop and do what? Let's say he's down with some major bleeding, the best help I can render is to tell the next person with a phone i see that someone went down real hard and they need an ambulence. Waiting to get the attention of the next person, which like we have said may be a little hard to do, is wasting time that should be spent getting help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So sorry to hear about your friend, he is fortunate not to be more severely injured after such a bad fall. But something to think about -- at 45mph if the guy who caused the crash were to apply his brakes and stop to try and render aid, he would likely have to cross a road full of other 45mph bike riders, perhaps causing another crash and certainly putting additional people at unnecessary risk. If he is not a medical professional, then there is little he could do except sit with the injured person and wait. Even if he had medical training, he wouldn't be able to do much without any equipment. And since racers don't typically carry cellphones, he wouldn't even be able to call for help.

IMO in this case the correct thing to do would be to proceed to the next aid station and inform the people there of a rider down and the approximate location. In other cases where it is not on a hill and speeds are not so high it might be different, but I would still bet that the fastest way to get medical help to a fallen rider is to book it to the next aid station ASAP so that they can radio for an ambulance.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
>>but if like the op said he is standing up on the side of the road I'm going to assume he's just banged up and ill go tell the next official. The alternative is not not doing something the alternative is wasting the time that could be spent getting someone.

If he's laying their on the side of the road that's a different story. <<

Agreed. If he's up and standing on the side of the road, I would assume that he's at least not in life threatening condition and would let the next official/volunteer know.

If he's down in the road and not moving, then that's another story and I would stop.

Hope he recovers fully and quickly.

clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I guess it's 6 of one half a dozen of the other. I just think that if I saw a guy go down hard like that in front of me in a race I'd stop to see if he was alive. obviously there is little to do other than if the guy carried off the road into the ditch and was unconcious or needed his jugular plugged with my jersey or my finger.
Truely a difficult call to make, especially in the blink of an eye that these things tend to happen.

This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time. - Fight Club
Industry Brat.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In reply to all -

Someone saw my friend, someone stopped, someone put their race on pause and turned around to the closest aid station to get help. If one person was able to see how bad this was, it must not have been so impossible to figure out. Again, covered in blood and clothes in tatters does not require a medical degree to figure out this guy crashed and is injured. Do they need to administer first aid? No, but stopping (or at least slowing drastically) to ask if he will need medical assistance is the right thing to do, and if he says no, you're out maybe 10-15 seconds in your race.

I have no way of knowing whether the guy involved or any of the other people notified race officials at the next aid station. What we do know is that the ambulance came as a result of that one racer stopping, turning around, and going back up the hill to the closest known aid station.

Also, keep in mind that this is lap 2 on the bike. My best guess without knowing for sure is that the racer who helped my friend was reasonably familiar with the course at this point and knew he was one mile away from an aid station by going backward, or 10 miles away going forward.

In sum, I have to conclude that the defensive posts are speculative justifications. Clearly someone could see that he was injured, and they could see that while approaching on their bike. Apparently the fastest way to get aid to my friend was to turn around and ride back up the road. That's what happened, that's why the ambulance came, everything else is guess work at best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In reply to all -

Someone saw my friend, someone stopped, someone put their race on pause and turned around to the closest aid station to get help. If one person was able to see how bad this was, it must not have been so impossible to figure out. Again, covered in blood and clothes in tatters does not require a medical degree to figure out this guy crashed and is injured. Do they need to administer first aid? No, but stopping (or at least slowing drastically) to ask if he will need medical assistance is the right thing to do, and if he says no, you're out maybe 10-15 seconds in your race.

I have no way of knowing whether the guy involved or any of the other people notified race officials at the next aid station. What we do know is that the ambulance came as a result of that one racer stopping, turning around, and going back up the hill to the closest known aid station.

Also, keep in mind that this is lap 2 on the bike. My best guess without knowing for sure is that the racer who helped my friend was reasonably familiar with the course at this point and knew he was one mile away from an aid station by going backward, or 10 miles away going forward.

In sum, I have to conclude that the defensive posts are speculative justifications. Clearly someone could see that he was injured, and they could see that while approaching on their bike. Apparently the fastest way to get aid to my friend was to turn around and ride back up the road. That's what happened, that's why the ambulance came, everything else is guess work at best.

Translation: Everybody but one was an asshole, and I don't want to hear anyone saying anything different.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Triathletes are jerks I will make sure to be extra kind to my fellow athletes at the next race. This is sad.

Strava:https://www.strava.com/athletes/20890878
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes one person noticed and everyone else is a bunch of assholes is a much more logical conclusion than some people were focusing on not wrecking themselves, Some people thought he was prob since he was standing on the side of the road, some people probably didn't even notice he had wrecked and yes I'm sure there were a couple people who said I want a pr he'll be fine. So its okay for us to speculate that people have different opinions on how to handle the situation, but you're allowed to say everyone who didn't stop is an asshole? That doesn't make much sense.

It doesn't need to be an aid station if there is a turn coming up there is prob a cop there. Also with how many people at the race 30 could have gone by in a matter of a minute or two.

45mph is nothing to sneeze at as a mop biker. The ability to even notice him let alone comprehend the situation, decide if you should slow down then make sure there isn't anyone you are going to wreck behind you is not a quick process for most bikers. So yes someone did see him but that doesn't mean everyone did, nor does it mean everyone was capable of stoping or not wrecking themselves in that situation.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Yes one person noticed and everyone else is a bunch of assholes is a much more logical conclusion than some people were focusing on not wrecking themselves, Some people thought he was prob since he was standing on the side of the road, some people probably didn't even notice he had wrecked and yes I'm sure there were a couple people who said I want a pr he'll be fine. So its okay for us to speculate that people have different opinions on how to handle the situation, but you're allowed to say everyone who didn't stop is an asshole? That doesn't make much sense.

It doesn't need to be an aid station if there is a turn coming up there is prob a cop there. Also with how many people at the race 30 could have gone by in a matter of a minute or two.

45mph is nothing to sneeze at as a mop biker. The ability to even notice him let alone comprehend the situation, decide if you should slow down then make sure there isn't anyone you are going to wreck behind you is not a quick process for most bikers. So yes someone did see him but that doesn't mean everyone did, nor does it mean everyone was capable of stoping or not wrecking themselves in that situation.

That is probably correct. Last race I did, I RAN by my wife cheering me on and I did not see or hear her. I'm still hearing about it, so I find it very easy to believe that people doing 45 MPH on the bike did not seen the guy on the side of the road. I missed my wife running less than 10 MPH.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

I'm a decent bike handler, and in those conditions I don't think I'd feel safe stopping. You've got one cyclist passing another with a third passing on the outside, all at 45+, and then you have another 30 riders passing right after that? (BTW, how are you getting all this information if you weren't there?) That's what is known as congestion, and if you slam on the brakes to stop in that, you're going to cause a much bigger crash.

Unless I saw the crash way ahead of time and was able to brake down the hill, no way I'm stopping in those conditions. I'm going by, assessing (I see him stand up), and notifying the next person I can find. If I see him laying in a heap, I'll stop when safe and come back.

FWIW, my background includes 4 years working out of an Air Force ER as primary ambo response, another 3 years working as a street EMT, and I have stopped in several races (The latest being 2009 Rattlesnake during the swim to assist) to find out if people are all right.

John

Top notch coaching: Francois and Accelerate3 | Follow on Twitter: LifetimeAthlete |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The only thing clear about this whole situation is that you're providing entirely second hand information, and trying to scold anonymous perpetrators for what they may or may not have done. Furthermore, it sounds to me that - despite his unfortunate accident - your friend may in fact be the one that caused the accident by pulling into someone's line while they're traveling at a greater speed. I've crashed before during a race. It sucks to sit there a bloody mess while people pass by and offer no assistance. But in reality, what do you expect them to do? The answer has been beaten to death - aside from notifying the closest aid worker, there's little help that most people can offer.

Sincerely, all the best to your friend in his recovery. Been there, done that, burned the t-shirt.

"The right to party is a battle we have fought, but we'll surrender and go Amish... NOT!" -Wayne Campbell
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
x2.

In a triathlon last year, I all of a sudden lost site of the guy ahead of me going down steep hills with tight corners.

Coming around one sharp bend I saw he'd gone right over the bend and down the hill and looked hurt, but I only noticed as I went by and he was up and walking back to his bike at the road edge (believe he hit the rail and went over)...

I didn't not stop "because I wanted to PR" (finishing was a PR), but because I saw it as I went by, don't have good cycling handling skills and didn't feel safe myself.

When at the bottom of the hills I saw a race official, I stopped, told them how many kilometers back the guy was based on my Garmin readings and what had occurred and then inquired how he was after the race (ambulance trip but alright I was told).

How do you know 30 people didn't do that? If they jam on the brakes, they may crash or get hgit from behind and everyone is worse off.

-----------------------------------------------------------
"Chrissie wins because she trains really f'ing hard and races really f'ing hard and was blessed with a huge f'ing motor" Jordan Rapp
Quote Reply
Re: Boulder 70.3 Atrocious Sportsmanship [Crmurphy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In fairness, I really cannot say what those 30 people did or didn't do. And after reading the thread, it's probably true that for most athletes the most obvious and rational thing to do is go to the next aid station. So I recant that aspect of the thread, they didn't do anything wrong and I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and assumed they missed it, couldn't stop, or if they did see it said something at the next aid station.

Also, this is obviously second hand. There are somewhere between 3 and maybe 6 people who really saw what happened. My friend, the girl he just passed, the other guy involved, and some unknown number of people very nearby who probably saw it. No one else actually has first hand knowledge.

As to the other guy involved, we know 100% for sure that he did not check in with anyone after the race and identify himself. The race director and staff confirmed that no one checked in, reported the accident at the finish, or identified themselves. I don't buy the conjecture in this thread that he had no idea what happened, or that my friend randomly crashed and the guy didn't know it, or the insinuation that my friend made up the whole story about getting hit by another rider. We play hockey together, he knows when he gets hit. It's pretty hard to misunderstand tangling your bars, and I've never known my friend to be a wholesale liar. Whether he had a hand in causing it, again, there are between 3 and 6 people on earth who have any idea about that, so I can't say one way or the other. But who cares, whether he was 100% or 0% responsible, the other athlete involved, by all indications, did absolutely nothing.

Not that this thread solved the problem, but if there's one thing we can agree on, maybe it's that the other guy involved should have stopped at the next aid station (he might have, but there's no indication he did), and he should have checked in after the race was over (and we know for sure he didn't do that). I don't think that's too much to ask when you know someone has gone down at 45 mph, and I think everyone on this thread has said that they've either done that or would do that.

In the end, a bunch of people have viewed the post, and maybe it will make people think twice about what they should do in a race when they see someone go down or see someone standing, sitting or lying on the road bleeding. I know I've never gotten any instructions or suggestions from a race director on accidents, so maybe this helps people think about it. If that's all that comes of this, maybe that's enough, and all I could really expect.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to hear about your friend. I don't really have much to add. I saw your friend on the course, but by that time there was a police officer with him, so I can't really speak to the sportsmanship of the other racers. Glad the emergency crews took good care of him.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nobody is calling your unfortunate friend a liar.

Do you think it likely that someone going faster than your friend, apparently more than 45mph, would not crash after "tangling" handlebars?

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
 My arm-chair quarterback opinion is that a) if you hit someone -- regardless of who is at fault -- you stop, even if it takes you a few hundred yards to do so. You stop and go back and see if they are okay and at least say -- sorry. I find it next to impossible that whoever hit him didn't realize it. You have a moral obligation to do so and possibly a legal one;

clearly some racers have ethics in the toilet, so let me make a simple legal argument.

A triathlon does not shield you from the legal liability of being involved in an accident that ends up with someone being injured.

Think of it this way; you are on a training ride, you hit someone (it's an accident in that you didn't intentionally mean to run them off the road and maybe whomever you hit was partially or completely responsible);

anycase, you don't stop, and a bystander (perhaps someone in a car) is able to call the police or follow you home and ascertain your identity. Eventually the injured party learns of who you are. You can bet you ass that the injured party is going to a) file a claim, and b) likely have some standing since you didn't stop to render assistance.

As for the other bikers, road conditions and traffic conditions would dictate how easy it would be to see ahead of time if someone was down, hurt, or whatever, and slowdown and at least ask if assistance is needed. Not being there, I wouldn't want to guess on the specific circumstances here.

Again, as for the other racer involved in the accident. I hope someone is able to indentify them -- that person has a moral and legal responsibility to deal with a situation that they were involved in.

Have Fun ** Tri Hard ** Be Kind
Quote Reply

Prev Next