Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

BASE Performance made me less fat
Quote | Reply
I started using BASE Amino regularly when it came out in unflavored powder, about 6 months ago. I used it because it seemed to give a noticeable increase in endurance within workouts, and less soreness afterward - I wasn't worried about weight loss.

Now it's the holidays, and I am 10 pounds lighter than I was in June when I started using BASE Amino. 10 pounds, and I spent 4 or those months with a stress fracture and a broken wrist and limited training hours! I had been the same weight since I was swimming in college, trying since 2005 to lose my extra swimmer "insulation", and all it took was some really good workout nutrition.

Has anyone else had results like this from BASE Aminos?

I'm sure I've opened myself up for all kinds of STer fat jokes, and I'm ok with that - if I flex I can almost see a four pack poking through!

As an aside, I pay for BASE, just like you. Maybe when they get bigger (or I get faster) I can get a sponsorship, but for now I use it because it's good stuff.
P.S. In order to distract from the point of my post (to raise the question of whether or not amino supplements during exercise can have a side bonus of creating a leaner faster body) I would like to make the deceptive and misleading point that I endorse BASE because I like their products, but do not receive support from the company. I pay for the products, which is to say that while I am a sponsored athlete of some companies, I am just a high(ish) profile fan of BASE, who granted the company the use of my image on their website because I believe in their product and would like to see them succeed. Hopefully this long and boring post script clarifies my intentions - which are to brag that I'm skinnier than you. Fatty. Tongue

Ben Collins
Amateur Swimmer, Amateur Cyclist, Amateur Runner...
...Professional Triathlete.
It's not the length that matters, but what you do with it.
Last edited by: bhc: Dec 2, 09 20:43
Quote Reply
Re: BASE Performance made me less fat [bhc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
perhaps it was the stress fracture and lack of working out that led to the weight loss.

eating amino acids, which is just food really...would be surprised if that made you lose weight unless it was replacing mashed potatoes

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: BASE Performance made me less fat [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's getting the amino acids during training. When the amino acids are readily available, you don't have to break down muscle to supply the fuel. Less muscle breakdown -> faster recovery - and somehow I'm 10 pounds lighter with mostly swimming and water-running. Maybe because I get more calories during workout, rather than trying to make up for them afterward when my metabolism isn't as high.

Ben Collins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I have seen says similar things about workout drinks with protein. You recovery faster (but your performance is hindered slightly). So it is good for training but maybe not as good for racing?

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
wouldn't less muscle breakdown make you heavier?

=)

In Reply To:
It's getting the amino acids during training. When the amino acids are readily available, you don't have to break down muscle to supply the fuel. Less muscle breakdown -> faster recovery - and somehow I'm 10 pounds lighter with mostly swimming and water-running. Maybe because I get more calories during workout, rather than trying to make up for them afterward when my metabolism isn't as high.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: BASE Performance made me less fat [ShawnF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I still pay.

Ben Collins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your metabolism is higher after a workout than during.
Quote Reply
Re: BASE Performance made me less fat [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't really know the science behind it, but I think that less muscle breakdown helps you stay leaner.

Ben Collins
Last edited by: bhc: Dec 2, 09 14:28
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are going to pimp your sponsor's product, at least respect our intelligence enough to tell us you are pimping your sponsor's product.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

he he!

Wasn't Matt Lieto on here discussing his weight issues some time a go? Perhaps he needs to consume more base products too?? Seems to work for his brother.

-----------------------------------------------
www.true-motion.com Triathlete Casual Wear since 2007
(Twitter/FB)
Quote Reply
Re: BASE Performance made me less fat [Sully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
But during training you can't really consume as many calories as you burn, so if you can consume more without ill effects, then shouldn't you? Plus, having the free amino acids will slow down muscle breakdown, which means you're not rebuilding as much muscle later.

Ben Collins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you greatly underestimate the serum level of free amino acids, verse what you are asking your body to digest and absorb. I would think the usable amount from BASE is trivial.
Quote Reply
Re: BASE Performance made me less fat [hgrong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
If you are going to pimp your sponsor's product, at least respect our intelligence enough to tell us you are pimping your sponsor's product.

Endorsements are like consensual sex - money is not always involved.

I assumed that the logo on my website made it obvious that I endorse BASE. The aside was to point out that because BASE is such a small company, athletes like me endorse it because we a) know Chris and want to help him succeed AND b) tried his product and like it enough to keep buying more.

Ben Collins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Mmm...you can really taste those amino acids...

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
   hmmmm, possible. I remember reading in a book (Life Extension by Durk Pearson and Sandy Shaw) a looooong time ago, about fairly high levels of arginine and ornithine (2:1 I think), providing some real body composition changes for the two authors. I'll toddle on over to the BASE site and look around. Thanks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1) Nice catch, you're awesome.

2) To the OP, no worries about promoting sponsor products, especially if you're paying for them (albeit likely at a reduced price), but what's interesting to me is that you're mentioning weight loss. Though I've only had a limited education within physiology, a direct correlation betwen weight loss- through a reduction in adipose tissue, as your mention of emerging abs alludes to- to the consumption of Base amino is a stretch.

The Base Amino page provides a lengthy description of the science behind the product, which I appreciate, but am also critical of. There's a rather lengthy discussion on the very basics of amino acids, and then some claims are made that aren't particularly well-founded. Each essential amino acid is easily encountered in sufficient quantities within a well-balanced diet, even in the quantity an endurance athlete would require, and I don't particularly buy the argument presented for the importance of mTOR-activated MPS or that Base Amino will delay CNS-fatigue.

I'm also not particularly fast, however, (2:15 Olympic), so until I improve I probably don't need highly-refined supplements.

While I'm intellectually intrigued by the explanation of the science, I'm also slightly offended because it seems as though the author is trying to draw the reader in with basic science, mention the product, make a somewhat related claim, and then support it through a study done in Russia.

Maybe when I'm closer to the 2 hour mark I'll look Base Amino up. But for amino acid supplementation, certainly not weight loss. I believe your original post is very misleading.

-------
http://www.y-rocket.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
As an aside, I pay for BASE, just like you. Maybe when they get bigger (or I get faster) I can get a sponsorship, but for now I use it because it's good stuff.

This line here seems to be telling us you are NOT affiliated with BASE. What you are doing here is Bull Sh1t. I know a good number of people (my self included) that some of our OFFICIAL sponsors require us to pay for their product be it at an extremely discounted price. Uncalled for if you ask me. All you had to do was say you were sponsored by BASE because you are clearly listed as one of their athletes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dude you have got to be kidding me! You list BASE as one of your sponsors on your web page! But deny it in your post. hahahaahaha wow u made my day

Maybe when they get bigger (or I get faster) I can get a sponsorship, but for now I use it because it's good stuff.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Quote Reply
Re: BASE Performance made me less fat [walnutcreek tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The typical strategy for body building / weight loss products in advertising is before and after comparisons.
What the general public isn't usually aware of is that subjects are paid to GAIN weight increase FAT not the other way around.
That is, the before pictures are actually the AFTER picture....subjects spend time fattening up...The AFTER picture is actually the before picture when the subject is already fit.....
FYI
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
http://failblog.files.wordpress.com/...-volleyball-fail.jpg

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Last edited by: ericM35-39: Dec 2, 09 23:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sponsored by First Endurance and I still pay for product too. It's obviously less than anyone else pays but I still pay, but I am also a nobody and your in magazine's. Not everything is a freeride anymore but if you value the product then it's ok to pay your share.

As for the base and weight loss, I used it for a while and experienced it too. I think it's from the rhodiola. I don't see how amino's would make you lose weight. It's a pretty good product but the First Endurance line as a whole pretty much cover's all that Base provides and then protein, carbs, etc. I like the salts Base sells too though. It's nice to just add a few scoops and not have to worry about carrying pills on a long training ride.
Quote Reply