Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
This auction just seems wrong.
Quote | Reply
I wonder if this is gonna start a trend with pro triathletes? I know one of my friends (female) would pay big bucks for dinner with Crowie!!!

eBay auction for dinner with Jenna Shoemaker
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's just strange!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pretty girl, Vegas, "Local pick-up offered"

If this wasn't someone well known, wouldn't this be solicitation?
:)
Sarge

"it's also a personal choice to remain ignorant" - Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How bad is it going to look when there are no bids?? A buck says that her sponsor has to buy up the time under some alias....I didn't see who was picking up the dinner tab either? Looks like they are, so you get to bring a friend, a small size racing kit, and dinner with someone easy on the eyes, $250 isn't too bad.. But I agree, the person that buys it should keep in the shadows, it will look a little creepy. Better that some young girl who is a fan gets her father to pony up the $$$..
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [Dave Luscan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can't tell, but it does not look like a charity thing. Just money for her? I've seen these before when a charity is involved, but never just "for sale"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"a portion" of the proceeds go to breast cancer research? I would hate to see where the rest of the proceeds go. Actually, I take back my last statement, I would love to see where the remaining proceeds go.

Rather than look back and say "why?", look forward and say "why not?!"
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [bmcmaster11] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It says a portion of the proceeds go to fighting breast cancer so maybe she'll let you give her a quick examination before your souffle' arrives.
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [twack26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"a portion" of the proceeds go to breast cancer research?\\

I always liked that one, like the "Contains 100% pure beef"....How long did McDonalds get away with that one....Not 100% pure beef, but contains it...HA!!!
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [eganski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'd be up for that research :)

Rather than look back and say "why?", look forward and say "why not?!"
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
it will look a little creepy.
Ya think??? At least she reserves "the right to end the evening at any point"...
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
How bad is it going to look when there are no bids?? A buck says that her sponsor has to buy up the time under some alias....I didn't see who was picking up the dinner tab either? Looks like they are, so you get to bring a friend, a small size racing kit, and dinner with someone easy on the eyes, $250 isn't too bad.. But I agree, the person that buys it should keep in the shadows, it will look a little creepy. Better that some young girl who is a fan gets her father to pony up the $$$..
I noticed that as well. $250, bring yourself and a friend and make her take you out to any of the restaurants in the Bellagio or the Wynn. You could cover that $250 just on wine. Maybe Herbert and I should buy it for Dan... ;)

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
so $250 for a date in Vegas and shes probably not gonna sleep with me???

..... yes very creepy

PS Just to show I'm not completely crude, if the auction said 100% towards a charity I would say not creepy and worth it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Technically this is illegal in Nevada. This is, in effect, a raffle/lottery (a contest solely amongst patrons). Unless all the monies raised goes directly to a charity that is registered, and the charity has completed and paid for the appropriate gaming license, this is illegal.

I should know.

It's a dry heat!
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [mohole15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
From her blog (http://www.jennashoemaker.blogspot.com), an explanation:

"The reasoning behind it....

First, despite being ranked in the top 50 in the world and finishing 2nd at the National Championships and Pan American Championships in 2009, I am still struggling to make enough money to live. It's really hard to sit and watch pro football and baseball players and know that what I do is no easier or different than what they do, we are both world class athletes, but I don't have a multi-million dollar contract to fall back on, especially in time of injury.

Second, by auctioning off the dinner, I'm hopefully giving a fan or follower of the sport a chance to get to spend some quality time with me that they otherwise would probably not get the opportunity to have. I'm always really appreciative of all of the people who follow my career and support triathlon, so to be honest, I am excited to get a chance to sit down and chat with them. I guess I'm hoping it can be a "win-win" for everyone.

Sometimes you have to think outside of the box a bit and try something different. It'll be great if it works out, and if not, it'll be something hilarious I can look back on. I guess it just shows how committed I am to making the Olympic team. Being able to continue to train and race full time so I can do the best job possible in the lead up to qualification for London 2012 means everything to me, so if I have to keep cooking up creative ways to help get me there, then I will. I don't want to look back in 3 years and wonder if things could have been different.

Part of the proceeds will be donated to breast cancer, a cause that I keep very close to my heart."
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [matt2395] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It's really hard to sit and watch pro football and baseball players and know that what I do is no easier or different than what they do."

Except what they (football/baseball players) do is different. The sports they play generate significant amounts of money. Imagine how the WNBA players feel...
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [matt2395] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will someone please come to my house and have dinner with me for $350? I have a job, wife, child, and a mortgage. It's really tough to train for triathlon in addition to all of my other responsibilities. Thanks! I'm a world class age grouper, ranked among the top in my state.

In all seriousness, it's a shame an athlete like her can barely scrape by. I hope the auction goes up to $10,000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure beats dinner with Nancey Pelosi and many fools in California pay 1,000s for
that endulgance.
Will she wear her race outfit to dinner ?
Will A & W be OK. My van is just the 1 Mr T drove on the A team. Diamond tuck and everything.

Gonna need 3 glow sticks.
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Will someone please come to my house and have dinner with me for $350? I have a job, wife, child, and a mortgage. It's really tough to train for triathlon in addition to all of my other responsibilities. Thanks! I'm a world class age grouper, ranked among the top in my state.

In all seriousness, it's a shame an athlete like her can barely scrape by. I hope the auction goes up to $10,000.

Why is it a shame? It's not like we need to have professional triathletes. It sounds like she might be better off as an elite amateur athlete with a different source of income. She chose to make a living doing this, however. It sounds like it hasn't worked out, which sucks for her. But she is not entitled to make a living off her athletic prowess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think Jenna is babelicous. If I didn't have to fly to Vegas I would jump/dive/roll at a 250$ date with her. Smart/cute/fast trigirls don't grow on trees.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wrong or not...what were you looking for to stumble on that on ebay!?

Brandon Marsh - Website | @BrandonMarshTX | RokaSports | 1stEndurance | ATC Bikeshop |
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [-Tex] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LOL. Let's just say that someone who is no longer welcome to post here brought it to my attention... Congrats to your wife on her win BTW. She looked great out there! You gotta like when a Gopher wins right in the middle of Madison. ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Now, what if her brother Jarrod did the same thing look for a date for some money? Would it get the same exposure here?
Maybe they could offer a double date? I should have asked Jarrod this when I was talking to him at Gold Coast.

I think this is a great out of the box thinking idea!! I sure understand how hard it is to find a job now and make a few dollars.
Took a LOT of guts to make this offer so I wish her luck.

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[an autographed race kit worn during her 2009 season.]
Whether she washed it or not would make a huge difference!

Fred.
Quote Reply
Re: This auction just seems wrong. [mohole15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What about the girl that auctioned off her virginity? That was legal. She just has to remember to put it on her tax form.

Ride Scoozy Electric Bicycles
http://www.RideScoozy.com
Quote Reply

Prev Next