Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM Lou Race Report ... it took a few days
Quote | Reply

Here is a full report from my Louisville experience. We did the drive down to Louisville in 2 days and arrived on Thursday around 1:00pm and checked into the Galt House Hotel. It was awesome and the first time that I've actually stayed at the official race hotel. We had a huge suite so there was lots of room for bike storage and gear to be spread all over the place. Went for a walk around the downtown and checked out the finish area on 4th St. It is one of the coolest finish areas for an IM with bars all over the place. I was thinking that maybe I would actually be able to stay up until midnight to check out the final finisher after not making it in all 5 of my previous ironman races. I took Thursday as a complete no training day (my first in about 3 months ..... who says triathletes are obsessive-compulsive?). The expo was inside at the Galt House so all I had to do was hop on an elevator anytime I wanted to go there. It was pretty standard with all of the usual expensive souvenirs. Friday morning I put my bike together and went out for a spin. I did 15k and felt scared most of the ride. Downtown hotels and good riding are not a good mix so I bailed on the ride early. Bike was working fine so no need to do any more anyway. Went for an easy 30 minute run with Rachel after the ride and then we found a mall to do some back to school shopping for the squirt. The carbo meal was the usual stuff with one exception .... the guy they brought up on stage for the "weight loss award" lost 201lbs preparing to do the IM .... wow! Saturday I went down for the practice swim. The Ohio River is like swimming in warm chocolate milk. You can't see your fingertips when your arm is extended and it is way too warm for wetsuits. The current was pretty strong during the practice swim. Did another run after the practice swim and then went back to the hotel to get all of my stuff together. After lunch I took all my gear down to the transition for check in. It is a little different than other races that I've done since once you check in your transition bags, you can't get to them on race morning. This meant that I had to strap more stuff onto my bike food-wise on race morning since I didn't want to leave it out all night. On race day I was up at 4:15, had some breakfast then jogged over to transition with my food and pump. Got everything strapped onto the bike and the Garmin started up and catching the signals and my tires at optimum pressure then jogged back to the hotel to drop off my pump. The swim start is 3/4 of a mile down the road from the transition and I jogged down and got there just past 5:30 and got body marked. What a madhouse at this point. Apparently with the first come, first served appraoch to getting into the water some folks started lining up around 3:30-4:00 (totally crappy race preparation!). By the time I got into line I was at least a km from the swim start. This meant that when I finally got into the water there were likely around 2000 people ahead of me and I started about 37 minutes after the first age group athlete. The swim was a nightmare. The current had completely died down from the previous day so it was no help when I finally got to the turnaround. The number of people that I had to pass and swim around was adding a lot of time to an already slow swim (that Boston marathon prep left me behind the 8 ball in my swim prep this year). I had to go around 3 guys swimming side stroke and a few do elementary backstroke (why enter an IM if you can't actually swim the distance properly?). Anyway, I hit the step to exit the river in 1:12 which was my slowest IM swim ever by 6 minutes which was discouraging. Once I got on the bike things started looking up. I was constantly passing people for the first 60k. The out and back section was pretty congested and scary on the hills when you're trying to pass slower riders and other racers are bombing down the hill towards you barely on the other side of the yellow line. The time trail start did help a lot with respect to the drafting problems you see at many IM races since I saw very few packs forming. The bike course has pretty good quality pavement and lots of rolling hills. The final 10k or so is very flat so you can spin it out prior to the transition. On the bike, I went 2:41:37 for the first 90k and ended up 5:18:03 so a big negative split and I felt like I was holding back the entire ride which was good. As I pulled into transition my left leg cramped quite a bit which worried me a little for the run. I had a slower than normal T2 thanks to a stop in the porta-john and decided to go out hard on the run to loosen up the left leg and see if all my early season marathon training would pay off. I felt amazingly good and fresher than I ever have at the beginning of an IM run. I ended up going through the first half just over 1:27 and was still on pace to break 3 hours at 19 miles. I started to falter a bit then and went for some Coke at 20. They hadn't let it go flat so it was awful! By mile 24 I was slowing but still at 2:50 so I figured a 3:05 was in the cards. I was counting my chickens too soon since just after this point my entire right leg from hamstring down to my ankle cramped violently and forced me to walk. I walked for a few minutes then looked at my watch and said to hell with it, I was still going for a sub-3:10. I did a sort of hop/hobble/shuffle thing for about half a mile and then it loosened up enough for me to start running again (31 years of running experience came through big time). I was sprinting as best as I could down the final straight and finished the run in 3:09:23 and the race in 9:48:54. I was stoked to have my first sub 3:10 in an IM race! Final place 49th overall and 4th in 40-44. Afterwards the official time had me one minute slower on the run and overall. I found a number of other people with the same issue and we contacted the folks at ironman. They were awesome and checked into the problem and by today all of the age group people had their times adjusted. It seems the timing mat exiting from T2 was off by 1 minute for all of the age group athletes but accurate for the pros. After I left the finish area I went over to the food/massage/medical area in the convention centre a block away. My legs felt awful so I decided to get a massage. As soon as I got on the massage table I started cramping everywhere ... legs, lats, chest ..... The massage therapist asked if I needed to go to the medical area and I said no but then I had trouble talking since my tongue was swelling up and I was shivering and shutting down so I changed my mind. They had to lift me over since I couldn't get up. Once there I avoided an IV (they said I wan't delerious so they'd wait and see if I came around without one) but was wrapped up in 3 blankets and fed lots of Gatorade, chicken broth, and pizza for 45 minutes or so until I started to feel better then was able to hobble out and get some dry clothes. A few hours later, after picking up my bike and having dinner, I went back to 4th St. and made it to midnight to cheer on the final athletes. IM Lousiville has a great party atmosphere with the Hard Rock and another sports bar right there.On Monday, I went down and got my photos and walked by the Kona registration where I was tempted for a split second, but I made someone's day by letting the slot roll down. After the awards we headed straight back and I got home just past 2am (12.5 hours in the car seemed like IM part 2). By the time we got unpacked and into bed I managed about 3 hours of sleep before getting up to teach my students on their first day of school .... they likely thought their math teacher is some kind of cripple.

Overall, I thought the race was excellent and would recommend it. The time trail start needs a few glitches fixed (maybe corrals sort of like Boston?) but I saw way less drafting on the bike than any other IM race that I've ever done so maybe it is not a bad compromise.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Race Report ... it took a few days [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Allan,

Congratulations on a awesome race...seriously impressive bike/run combo. Just wondering, i looked at your bike spilts from the race and it pretty much looked like you were riding at a steady pace for 75% of the race and then really picked up your pace in the last 25%. Did you do that on purpose? Or was it a tail wind/downhill? Also wondering if you did that in your training a lot (going hard in the last part of the bike ride)?

Glad to hear that they adjusted your time too.

"Comfort and prosperity have never enriched the world as much as adversity has."

-Ben
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report. What was the temperature? How did you run at Boston? I raced in "08. It was my first. Congratulations on a well paced race.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Race Report ... it took a few days [bbell] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

According to the elevation on my Garmin, you drop about 400 ft. from the end of the loops until you get back to the transition. The final 10-12k is very flat back into Louisville as well. I spent the first 50-60k trying to get around people which forced me to ride conservatively and I just spent the whole ride holding back. I think that way too many people have tough runs at ironman because they hammer themselves on the bike. This year my bike base wasn't where it was for most of my previous IM races so I just kept it steady and didn't try and race anyone. Towards the end I felt so strong that I picked it up a bit to comfortably hard tempo but still didn't try and go with anyone that passed me so my average speed went up over the final 40k.

As for Boston, I was 2:45 there but thought that I was in shape to go faster. In hindsight, I may use a similar high running base in the winter with a bit more swimming to get ready for my next IM (likely in 2011 since for family reasons I don't do one every year).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great race and report. I hear that the finish in Louisville is pretty unique. Hoping to find out for myself next year. Thanks for the report.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice run and thanks for contacting Ironman and getting that 1 minute back. That changed my result drastically and was a pleasant surprise this morning when I saw the results posted on Athlinks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a solid race, Allan. You can tell people who have done a few IM's. Their RR jumps from leaving T2 to mile 19. Those first 19 miles are nothing! :)

Most kids here in Toronto don't start school until next Tuesday/Wednesday. Funny that you're back already, but that probably means you'll have more flexibility for getting out in June.

Congrats again!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Race Report ... it took a few days [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

No flexibility in June. Most other boards in the province have pd days Thursday/Friday this week and are cancelling their fall pd days. The new "Family Day" in February messes up the school calendar so that the minimum days under the education act can't be achieved without either starting early or going into July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice negative split on the bike that was text book.

It was the Swim start timeing mat that was off by a minute from email they sent me and from what I saw going through the photos of
swim start,swim finish clocks and the final finish along with a few other folks timeing information. I sent them some photo examples and detail examples of mine a few others and
some of the pros where there were swim finish shots with the clock. Sure wish could find picture of pro swim start.
Thought was the pros went off as a group in the water no matt timeing and someone started the timers on the dock mat computers minute early or based on time of day before the pros went off.
Then with the matt timeing for age groupers going in everything was off by that minute.
pros swim time on the clock at t1 was slow by a minute compared to their official time but everything was dead on finish wise.
Age groupers official times were slower by a minute compared to real time and these clocks in the photos
but their swim times were dead on coming into the swim finish from official times.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Man, a boston-qualifying time in an IM after cramps... I gotta learn to run like you guys.

Congratulations, that's a hell of a time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
impressive performance, congratulations !

"31 years of running experience came through big time"
so when did you switch to tris ? how long did it take to get that bike thing so fast ?

Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Race Report ... it took a few days [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I switched to triathlons in 1990 so this is season number 20 for me. I still do running races but not as many (I may do a marathon on Oct. 4 if my legs seem to be bouncing back ok since there is one local to me and that is my birthday so I figure that would be a good way to celebrate). My first IM was IMC in 1999 in my 10th season of doing triathlons. I went 5:21 for my bike there but it certainly didn't feel as easy as my ride last week.

I did Boston this year since so many people have asked me over the years "have you ever run Boston?". One guy asked me this at a track meet that I was officiating at (he was decked out head to toe in Boston apparel) and when I told him that I hadn't but was thinking that I should he asked me if I knew that I would have to qualify in order to do it :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was curious since 34 years of running experience turned out to be worthless at my first half-IM.. bike time was just half of your IM time. Interesting.

Boston had been an ambition of mine since the 70s when starting running, finally did it in 1991, had fun, was good.. luckily didn't have to meet the 2:50 qualifier that was required back in the 80s ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Race Report ... it took a few days [doug in co] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I have found that no matter what your run background is, that it is useless if you can't bike comfortably for a long time. I do a 180km + ride most weekends that I'm not racing so that when I get to an IM the run feels like I've just finished a normal Saturday bike and need to head out. If you finish a half or full IM bike and feel shelled already, then the run is going to be tough.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Congrats on a great race Allan! Awesome run!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
amazing. congratulations.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nice report and awesome race Allan!!!

Barry Dmitruk
2017: Florida 70.3 (done); Mont Tremblant 70.3 & Ironman

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey, I am glad that being suckered into all that winter running helped. However, I think Louiseville was spaced far enough to your Boston that you had time to rebuild and work on bike fitness. Not sure if you can say the same thing if you are doing a July or June IM....in which case, you might be better off doing the winter run training and NOT doing a spring marathon in the lead up. A guys like Allen might get away with it, but most of us might impair our July IM prep.
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Race Report ... it took a few days [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most impressive= driving back, then getting 3 hours sleep, then teaching that day!!!

Congrats.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great report and fantastic times! Congrats!
Quote Reply
Re: IM Lou Race Report ... it took a few days [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

Dev you are right, a hard Boston and then IMLP wouldn't have been possible. I did all of my bike build up from early June onward. When we did the Gats ride the first weekend of June, it was just over 90k and my longest ride of the year. My biggest bike week of 471km ended 2 weeks prior to IMLou. Not many coaches would advocate this type of plan (another reason that I am self-coached ..... what my coach says is what I do!). I also like to have a lot more really long rides in a lead up to an ironman that I didn't have time for this year. All of my swim and bike base building was done in the 10 or 11 weeks leading up to the race.

As for IM part 2 (the drive back and teaching the next day) ..... that may have been harder than the actual race. My class is on the second floor and the stairs were pretty nasty to me that day and I haven't found an effective way to teach while sitting in my chair so that was out of the question too :)
Quote Reply