Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes
Quote | Reply
I'm new around here, and new to the sport of triathlon, but I'm feverishly following everything I can sink my teeth into. I was also eagerly devouring the Rev3 video footage this past weekend. While surfing the web I've come across a lot of great pictures of the weekend. One has me asking a question: Isn't Matt Reed one of K-Swiss' athletes? I'm nearly certain he is wearing a Nike shoe in this picture. http://www.flickr.com/photos/39322275@N04/?saved=1
Last edited by: noobietriguy: Jun 10, 09 20:40
Quote Reply
Re: K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes [noobietriguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup I have noticed that, I think he has been racing all his races in them...doesnt make much sense to me. maybe they havent given him the protos that Lieto is wearing...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Very observant boys! matty reed here... I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting my arrival of the sweet and pimp racing flats by K-Swiss. Lieto, being a size 9 mens got the proto-type, that is why he is racing in them. me being the big man 13 (you know what they say about big feet....) is not a proto-type size and will wait for the shoes off the press in july. In the mean time, i race in a white racing flat, since I am a very light weight racer and race in light and fast and neutral shoes. But dont you boys worry, these K-Swiss racing flats are simply amazing. Stable, durable, lightweight..... Cant wait to roll these babies. I am a bit different to the other K-Swiss athletes out there in that I race the World Cups and short course and am not ironman focused (yet!- hint.) so that is why I race in a speed suit, and use a true track racing flat. I was born in the fast mode, and that is why i came to K-Swiss Team.... they make the best shoes out there. For fast, for steady, for the long haul and for a variety of athletes.

So there you go... since I am rambling on, i will throw out that my favorite K-Swiss sneakers to train in are the Ultra Natural and then the Kona for some fartklek/threshold sessions. Oh and if you get a chance to get a pair of the running shorts, COMFY!

alright, post away. i will be out training.... GO HARD or GO THE HECK HOME.
BIG MATTY REED- OUT.
Quote Reply
Re: K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes [mattyreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
(you know what they say about big feet....)

It's the nose mate.

The K-Swiss racers don't look appealing to me at all. You'll gonna miss your Nikes.
Hope they pay well.

Happy racing
uli

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
(you know what they say about big feet....)

It's the nose mate.

The K-Swiss racers don't look appealing to me at all. You'll gonna miss your Nikes.
Hope they pay well.

Happy racing
uli
So, if I read this right...you're more about how they look than how they fit/feel??? You have pretty much surmised that Matty is all about the money.....nice!!! Have you remotely thought that he really likes how the shoe fits him??? Oh, wait...forgot!!! This is ST.....more posers here than on the runway in NYC during Fashion Week.

Kurt Luoni
US Sales Manager
Orca Wetsuits
Quote Reply
Re: K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes [stageracer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you remotely thought that he really likes how the shoe fits him???

He can't tell more than looks either. Reading posts helps.

To explain my thoughts: they are not minimalist enough from the looks.

Quote | Reply
when he said they don't look appealing i SERIOUSLY doubt that he meant the aesthetics of the shoes,
probably more along the lines of how the upper and midsole look.

edit: beat to it
Last edited by: Mighty Mouse: Jun 11, 09 9:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is that an asthma inhaler?
Quote Reply
Re: K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes [Torps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Reed and Lieto are two guys I can think of that keep their asthma inhalers in transition. I have all the respect in the world for these guys, but I sometimes wonder if this is worth discussing as... questionable.
Quote Reply
Re: K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes [mattyreed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Very observant boys! matty reed here... I am ANXIOUSLY awaiting my arrival of the sweet and pimp racing flats by K-Swiss. Lieto, being a size 9 mens got the proto-type, that is why he is racing in them. me being the big man 13 (you know what they say about big feet....) is not a proto-type size and will wait for the shoes off the press in july. In the mean time, i race in a white racing flat, since I am a very light weight racer and race in light and fast and neutral shoes. But dont you boys worry, these K-Swiss racing flats are simply amazing. Stable, durable, lightweight..... Cant wait to roll these babies. I am a bit different to the other K-Swiss athletes out there in that I race the World Cups and short course and am not ironman focused (yet!- hint.) so that is why I race in a speed suit, and use a true track racing flat. I was born in the fast mode, and that is why i came to K-Swiss Team.... they make the best shoes out there. For fast, for steady, for the long haul and for a variety of athletes.

So there you go... since I am rambling on, i will throw out that my favorite K-Swiss sneakers to train in are the Ultra Natural and then the Kona for some fartklek/threshold sessions. Oh and if you get a chance to get a pair of the running shorts, COMFY!

alright, post away. i will be out training.... GO HARD or GO THE HECK HOME.
BIG MATTY REED- OUT.
Thanks Matt. I appreciate your insight and am surprised you're on here. Your'e doing a good job towing the company line. Maybe you can tell us more about the shoes? Being a new guy and coming from a run specific focus, I can say I'm short distance and faster (its all relative) guy as well. I've been wearing the Zoot Ultra Race shoe since I got into the sport. Its been working very well for me. I love the light weight, soft lining, carbon fiber and the over-all feel of the shoes. Been running and racing barefoot for years and these Zoots are so wonderfully comfortable. But I'm always reading about new gear. I have seen some reviews on K-Swiss footwear and they seem to be very new to running and triathlon shoes. Most reviews I see have the shoes called out as what I would consider to be quite heavy. I tried to find out for myself, but I actually cannot find any running shop that carries them. I see a lot of advertising from K-Swiss, but I can't find their shoes anywhere?
Quote Reply
Re: K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes [uli] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uli, aren't you Nike sponsored?
Quote Reply
Re: K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, I am. Only change is that I don't have to pay for what I have been wearing anyway. ;)

Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Reed and Lieto are two guys I can think of that keep their asthma inhalers in transition. I have all the respect in the world for these guys, but I sometimes wonder if this is worth discussing as... questionable.
How so? I keep one in transition when my allergies are bad. I try like hell to never have to take a puff. The last thing I need when racing is to have my heart racing and to feel shaky. But it beats not being able to breathe. Would you rather people with asthma not be allowed to compete?

Jodi
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Uli,
I can assure you that the guys at K-Swiss and Avia personally know all their athletes and have a great relationship with them. Do you think anyone at Nike actually knows you and or cares about you?

I think Matty made the point quite clear why he is in the situation he is in. I would support / sponsor Matty Reed in a heartbeat.

Herbert
Last edited by: Herbert: Jun 11, 09 11:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I find it interesting and informative to read threads to see how people jump to conclusions and then alternately tear someone else up for jumping to their conclusions. Matty Reed is a phenominal runner (triathlete) that is accustomed to wearing a 5 ounce racing flat, and every ounce can make a difference in short course racing. the racing flat that you see Lieto in is not available until 2010, which is why Matt doesn't have it yet. we give our early prototypes to our size 9 and size 7 runners so that they can give us their valuable feedback and we can make revisions based on their input. Rather than force Matt to wear our 8.8 ounce K-ona shoe (more than light enough for us mortals) we want him to perform at his best and race in what he feels gives him the best chance for that. We believe in that enough to say that when he gets his flats in the next few weeks, that if he doesn't feel like they are the best for him, then he can continue to race in the shoes he's racing in now. We don't make a shoe until our athletes have tested it, and approved it. Matty, thanks for jumping on post, we are proud to have you on our team, and we cant' wait to get your feedback on the new flats. until then, keep doing your thing!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert, we do know all of our athletes very well and i'm positive that Avia does too! thx for the support. one of the reasons we brought Matt in was the fact that he does race in ultralight flats and we wanted him on board for the development of that shoe. The main reason though is that he is a super person who i would proudly keep on my team if he never raced again. and as far as everyone talking about getting paid for using product. Most of you have no idea how little these pros make for how hard they work, and how amazing they are as athletes. if you think that they would use a shoe that affected their performance for the little they get from sponsors, you are a bit uninformed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Do you think anyone at Nike actually knows you and or cares about you?

Given my level, that would be disturbing although their bang for the buck must be ridiculously high in my case. I know about fifty German triathletes who bought the Lunars b/c I keep praising them (started that well before I got sponsored).

I really hope for the guys that the flats are gonna be nice. Just what I have seen so far from K-Swiss - and don't get me started about the UA garbage - does not look too promising.

Quote | Reply
A bit of credit for Matty and KSwiss here. It's easier to believe that he'll be running in a good shoe from KSwiss if he's waiting for it to come out (and using a competitor in the mean time). Many companies would just insist that he use the existing line, whether it was race worthy or not. We've all seen too many previous cases of pros on questionable gear because they were paid to use it (those IronMan helmets from a few years back come to mind).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes [Jodi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no doubt that you use it when and if you need it and of course I don't think that being asthmatic should prohibit you from racing. But it seems to me that there are a disproportionate amount of asthmatics in the pro ranks, and not just triathlon.

Let's try to keep this thread on topic, i.e KSwiss, Matty Reed and Herbert vs. Uli!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What I am saying is that you may not be unbiased because of your affiliation with Nike. Because you are a lesser known quantity in terms of fame you actually have to work much harder (ie pimping your sponsors in forums, even if not overtly) to get your "rewards." You are a very good runner in your own right and hopefully you will see that it isn't cool to blast another manufacturer as a "representative" of a competitor.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Uli, aren't you Nike sponsored?
LOL! Thats why pro feedbacks mean sh!t to me.
Quote Reply
Re: K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes [kswissguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was actually at Rev 3 Tri doing the run portion of a relay team... However I forgot my shoes at home, FAIL!

So I bought a pair of Kona's at the expo, didn't like the normal shoe because of the extra fabric that would have rubbed against the knuckles of my toes. Kona's didn't have that extra fabric and felt pretty good. I ran in them on Sunday fresh out of the box and they treated me quite nicely. I'm looking forward to breaking them in an using them in more races coming up!
Quote Reply
Re: K-Swiss athlete in Nike shoes [Shanks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I was watching the pro's get ready to go in the water at Rev3 I saw just how much Matty towers over everyone else. I turned to my buddy and was like "that guy just looks like he's gonna win"; he responded with "dumb ass, that's Matty Reed". Sure enough he won and lead pretty much wire to wire. That Fuji he was on looked like a stealth bomber going by; even at mile 31.5 he had well over a minute lead. Personally I can't wait to see how he does on long course events; he's so tall I wonder how he handles heat on hot days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
What I am saying is that you may not be unbiased because of your affiliation with Nike. Because you are a lesser known quantity in terms of fame you actually have to work much harder (ie pimping your sponsors in forums, even if not overtly) to get your "rewards." You are a very good runner in your own right and hopefully you will see that it isn't cool to blast another manufacturer as a "representative" of a competitor.

1. I have reiterated many times that I have given praise for Nike's Luna long before I got sponsored.
2. All I have to do is wear Nike. They don't expect anything from me beyond that. But I love the Lunar Racers so I keep praising them.
3. No, I am not "a very good runner". Most ITU triathletes are faster runners.

I will continue giving my opinion on other manufacturers. There is just too much crap out there. I understand where Matt is coming from but I don't like to be fooled.

Quote | Reply
I don't think I have ever seen so much damage control in one thread at one time...ever!
Quote Reply

Prev Next